Author Topic: GK this morning..  (Read 5310 times)

nanramone

GK this morning..
« on: May 18, 2010, 04:51:09 pm »
Hi all - I had GK this morning - it went very well - pain was controlled well with medication, medical people were all wonderful. Dr. Ludsford said it's likely that I'll eventually have more hearing loss, and that eventually I'll probably have some swelling, so I got a prescription for steroids if needed. I feel comfortable having this over with. I plan to go out and visit the Andy Warhol Museum tomorrow before leaving for Indianapolis Thursday.

I'm grateful that I was able to have this treated with GK, and invite anyone with questions about GK experience to sent a pm and ask me about my experience. Seriously, I have had more difficult times in a dentist's chair!

As for immediate effects, I have had headache and drowsiness and imbalance all day, but the drugs aren't out of my system - the top of my head is numb, but again, that is from the anesthetic. I still feel tired. The headache is not intense, and I feel quiet, but am watching tv with my family.

I will be online each day to make reports, hoping this might help someone else trying to make a decision. I'm glad I chose GK, and feel confident that I had the best doctor for this procedure (and his team) working on me....He said the tumor was cystic in the middle and will probably shrink. I feel fortunate.

bye for now~

Nancy

sgerrard

Re: GK this morning..
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 12:23:18 am »
Good work, Nancy. Check that one off on your to-do list. 8)

Take it easy for a week. You may have a bump or too along the way, but it is a long gentle downhill coast from here on.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 05:36:11 am »
Nancy -

great to hear that everything went well.

Sounds like you are very happy with your treatment choice  ;D

Thanks for updating us,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 07:10:57 am »
Congrats, Nancy!  You must be relieved to have that behind you!  Keep us posted, you postie!

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

nanramone

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 11:02:53 am »
hi again...

24 hours after GK, I just returned from swimming in the pool and a short workout on the stair climber machine. I enjoyed a full breakfast with my sister, and will go out shoe hunting with my daughter and her husband in about a half hour....

So in other words, I feel pretty darned good.

I am experiencing a very slight degree of imbalance that is different than what I've had previously. I was not advised that I'd feel anything like that so immediately after GK, though I was given a steroid prescription to help with that or any sudden hearing loss I might experience....I'm going to fill the prescription just in case this feeling of imbalance remains after today.

off I go!

thanks to all who have been helpful to me through all of this~

Nancy

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 12:17:00 pm »
Nancy ~

My only response to this splendid report of your GK experience is: Congratulations!  Way to go!  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

moe

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 02:18:41 pm »
Wow, your GK was a piece of cake!
Congrats, and let us know how you continue to feel in the coming weeks, months.
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Lizard

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 02:48:40 pm »
Congrats, and Dr Lundsford is who did my Dad's GK in the early 90's, great Dr. you are in good experienced hands and hopefully that brain bugger/booger whichever you prefer will start shrinking soon.
Keep us posted, postie!
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2010, 09:17:52 pm »
Very cool  8)

Hope you bought some killer shoes.

Nothing like a little retail therapy, I always say  ;D
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sunfish

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2010, 07:17:30 am »
Excellent!  Just think - a few weeks ago you were agonizing over what to do, and now it's done and over with.  Hope your recovery continues to go well!  You might have a few obstacles, but I'm praying they're minor!
Rt. side 14mm x 11mm near brain stem
Severe higher frequency hearing loss
I use a hearing aid (Dot 20 by Resound)
Balance issues improving!!!!
Cyberknife March17, 2010
Roper Hospital Cancer Center, Charleston, SC

GRACE1

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2010, 09:21:52 am »
Good for you!

Grace
Diagnosed 7/06: AN - right side: 1.3cm in transverse dimension, 6mm in AP dimension, and 6mm in cephalocaudal dimension.
GK 12/06- Wake Forest Univ Baptist Med Ctr
MRI 5/07- Some necrosis;  Now SSD
MRI 12/08- AN size has reduced 50%
MRI 12/11- AN stable (unchanged from 12/08)
Next MRI: 12/16

nanramone

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2010, 08:01:59 pm »
Hi all - I'm home in Indiana now -

I'm tired but feeling good now - felt odd last night, started to lose balance, developed a massive headache, then suddenly lost all hearing in left ear! It came on rather fast - I called the doctor on call, who told me to start taking prednisone, which cleared up most of the problems...hearing back to "normal", but I'm still feeling unstable while walking...since I had to travel today, I was wheeled around the airports in Pittsburgh, Cleveland and Indianapolis...

Anyway, I'm home at last! Most of the headache is gone. I think I'll sleep like a baby tonight.

I'm just glad that is behind me...now I'll find out what the future brings...

bye for now, and hope all of you are feeling well.

Nancy

patt

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2010, 03:49:33 pm »
Nancy ---

I am sure that you are glad to be home now and the treatment is behind you.   Keep us updated as to how you are doing  - we all are thinking about you.    I am just about to start my treatment next week --- I will be doing the "FSR" treatments.    Don't you agree that all of this is like a rollercoaster ride   -- a lot of ups and downs.     Hope you have a smooth ride from here on.

Patt from Minnesota
Patt  - age 63
Diagnosed - 3/22/2010  -- sudden hearing loss Rt ear
Right ear -- 2.7cm
Left ear -- limited hearing
Will be having "FSR" 
Starting date is June 1st, 2010
30 treatments  --  6 sites
July 12, 2010 -- Completed "FSR" treatments
Oct 2010 - MRI -Slight decrease in size

nanramone

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2010, 07:01:32 am »
Thanks Patt - I hope all goes well for you!

Nancy

Kaybee

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2010, 10:01:04 am »
Hi Nancy, I've been off the boards for awhile but was so pleased to read about your outcome.  It sounds like you are doing great!  Please keep in touch!
2 x 3 x 4 cm tumor removed at Methodist Hospital in Indianapolis 10/30/09
Left facial paralyis/SSD (showed first signs of improvement at approximately 6 months post-op)