Author Topic: Radiation can be repeated - but few done so far!  (Read 6616 times)

john twoffer

• Acoustic Neuroma Foundation
Re: Radiation can be repeated - but few done so far!
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2006, 10:22:42 am »
You make some good points. The reason I don't want fractionated again, like Cyberknife, is that I know of only one case where fractionated radiosurgery was repeated and the result was permanent facial nerve paralysis.
But, GK has been repeated without facial paralysis.
And GK would be different and more ablative to the tumor than the FSR I had the first time over 5 days at Johns Hopkins.
I just wish I could find some of the people who had repeat radiation to talk to them!
John

Hey, 
   There are so many people that have or had AN's that don't even look at these boards. Looking at the top right corner as I write this note I notice that there are not even 1,000 members. There are nearly 3,000 people diagnosed with AN every year. One of the reasons I elected surgery was for the "hopes" of completely eliminating this problem once and for all from the start even though regrowth can occur to anyone here on this board. There is no guarantee with any treatment so please don't beat a dead horse. I am sure there are plenty of people out there that have or had the same problem you currently face. Maybe those that experienced radiation twice elect not to write on these boards. You mentioned that surgery cannot be performed so I guess half the battle is already won. If I had to deal with a regrowth I would seek out the very best institution possible so that if there was a negative turnout at least you know you tried the best. If you do choose radiation then why not look into Cyberknife?? If Gamma Knife provided the best results then Cyberknide probably wouldn't be around?? It all depends on where the tumor is located. Keep recycling this thread or maybe check the AN archive for those that had repeated radiation treatments because if this was me I would also feel the need to speak with others. There's just about every story you can imagine on the AN archive. When you do find these people give them a call or send them an e-mail. Good Luck!
Acoustic Neuroma and Cyst in my head.
I volunteer at:
www.AcousticNeuromaFoundation.org

john twoffer

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2006, 03:38:36 pm »
Anybody out there had radiation twice? Especially FSR followed by GK?
I volunteer at:

john twoffer

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2006, 11:16:53 am »
Russ, I have to risk radiation again as I am not well enough for surgery. Has anyone had FSR followed by GK?
John

Hello
  If I had been losing at 'Poker' for 6 years, I'd try the Roulette table or Black Jack while I still had some chips ( a facial nerve ).
  If radiation failed, why risk it again? Gamma rays ( or, X-rays ) are gamma rays ( or, X-rays ) whether a cobalt source or linear accelerator.
  Or; Many can choose to be 'watch and wait' for a long time.
  Best wait 5 - 6 years between FSR/GK retreatments if so inclined.
  No offence intended. Just trying to make a point.
  Russ
I volunteer at: