Author Topic: Problems Flying?  (Read 3166 times)

Nia

Problems Flying?
« on: September 07, 2012, 08:02:35 am »
Hi everyone,

I was wandering...Does anyone have any problems traveling via airplane since their surgery.  I am 6 weeks post op and I'm doing great. My only complaint are the headaches and i notice that I'm a little unsteady at times.  Before my surgery I use to have to take decongestants before flight to avoid ear aches. Sometimes I would just feel my ears pop during flight if I yawn or sneeze.  I notice that since my surgery the affected side never pops.  I don't know if it is that I cant hear it (Loss all hearing on that side) or is it that I'm not healed yet and there is no pressure release from that side yet.  I really would like to take a weekend trip with my friends sometime soon.  Just don't want to jump the gun and be uncomfortable during flight.

Nia

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Problems Flying?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 12:23:57 pm »
Hi Nia and welcome!

You do not say what surgical approach was used for your AN removal, but if via translab, all of the mastoid area and inner ear parts were removed, which is why you no longer feel the pressure nor release.  I am not a doctor but that is how it was explained to me.  I am 4 1/2 years post-op from retrosigmoid approach AN removal and 1+ years translab approach AN regrowth removal.  I no longer have any pressure in my AN side ear when driving to high elevations nor when flying.  I look at it as one of the positive after effects of AN surgery.   ;D

I flew across the country 13 days post-op with no pain nor pressure whatsoever.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

alabamajane

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 03:45:19 pm »
Nia,
I had translab about 11 mo ago and have flown once last March,, so it was about 5 mo postop and did not have any problems besides a little sway when I walk,,,  :P,, but  I have gotten used to bouncing off walls,, and it is MUCH better now.. I plan to fly again next week so hoping all will go well then also..

6 weeks isn't very long but if you feel like it, I don't imagine it would hurt but as Clarice said,, I am not a Dr either! May cause you to have a headache,, and your friends can keep you upright,, ....
A phone call to your Dr or his nurse might be a good idea,, good luck with your recovery.. Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

Nia

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 07:37:11 pm »
I had my AN removed via retrosigmoid in July. I'm so use to going where ever I want to go whenever I want to that it feels like torture not to be able to take a trip.  I've been preparing mentally and financially for this surgery so I haven't been anywhere all year.  :(

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 06:49:27 pm »
I had retrosigmoid - over 5 years ago - and have absolutely no trouble flying.

I say book that trip!!!

Good luck,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

millie

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 06:38:08 pm »
Thank you, ladies! (And gentlemen if I missed anyone.)  I have trans-lab scheduled October 17th, and cancelled a trip which was slated for the Sat after Thanksgiving.  I am flying in February-and according to your info, I should go for it.  Yay!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 09:15:21 pm »
Forgot to say you should check with your doc on when you can fly.

They have different rules.  I know the docs @ HEI let their patients fly much sooner than my doc did.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways