Author Topic: Bone cement not hardening  (Read 4738 times)

tjc

Bone cement not hardening
« on: February 01, 2006, 09:09:46 pm »
Hi all best wishes and prayers to everyone,
I am  4.5 months post op and went back for check up a week
ago. Some of my issues are sever headaches on the Surgery side,
Balance  and dizzyness and lost hearing.
 I also have a squishy indentation at the
entry site on my head. the dr. said the Bone cement is not hardeing and sent me for a
CT scan, he did not seem alarmed and said we would keep an eye on it and for
me to come back ina month., My question is does anybody else have or had this bone cement problem and what
happened?, thanks
Todd
Vancouver,Wa. ??? ??? :-\
8mm AN  left ear removed  9/12/05  suboccipital aproach at Oregon Health Science University by Neurotologist Sean Mcmenomey and Neurosurgeon Dr. Johnny Delashaw.

wanderer

Re: Bone cement not hardening
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2006, 01:11:33 pm »
I had bone cement,   the told me lots of things but here a brief idea of what happened.

I developed a squishy spot on the or near the incision about 2.5 months after surgery.   This spot then broke open and I ended up with fluid draining from the spot.     Antibiotics followed along with more surgeries,     Continued squishy spots that would eventually burst and leak fluid.   

Bone paste was removed,   problem still happened,   over the year they seemed to clear up and then come back.   Blood work showed no infection,  but tests showed staph infection.  Oral antibiotics and surgeries didn't cut it.

Finally 2 months of IV antibiotics seems to have cleared up the infection and I've had not more squishy spots or leaks.

I don't know if this is similar to your situation,   but every time the story was different when I went in.    So if it starts draining fluid,  opt for antibiotics, and even IV antibiotics before more surgery.  I could have avoided 4 surgeries if I had known.

Rc Moser

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2006, 09:48:11 am »
First I've heard of the bone cement? Is this standard or only done by certain Doctors?   My dr. said he took fat from my belly and stuffed in the hole fill in the gap. I had small buldge and some seem like it drooped down onto my neck. 2 years an 5 months out I only have a small indentation. Sometimes it's tender and when I come my hair it like some nerves are attached especially when I have migarine's. But, overall it don't bother me.
9/17/03, 4.5CM, Translab, OU Medical Center, Dr. (the ear man) Saunders and Dr. B. (the BrainMAN) Wilson  along with about 4 other Doctors that keep me going for 18 hours.

wanderer

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2006, 10:12:05 am »
it's used to stop spinal fluid from entering the porous bone and leaking out.   It's expensive and not all doctors use it.    My first time they did not use it.  Then I ended up with a spinal fluid leak so the next surgery they used it.    They also used fat from my stomach for 3 of my surgeries.

russ

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2006, 05:29:57 pm »
Hi
  On another group a person had chronic CSF leak. There were 3 repair attempts.
  The Drs were not concerned but I was to read!!
  Meningitis or infection can develop.
  The person had a chronic headache from the CSF leakage.
  I'm unsure the outcome but do not believe a fat graft was utilized. That may depend on surgical approach. I know it's common in translab.
  Wow! I would'nt let a surgeon pass the buck on this one saying, "Oh, it'll stop in time." It should stop 'stat' if done correctly and if the bone cement is accepted by the body.
  HEI?
  Best wishes...
  Russ

wanderer

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2006, 08:50:24 pm »
yeah the told me they knew after by 4th surgery that it wasn't spinal fluid because I didn't have menegitis yet.

It took a year to sort out my infection problem after my CSF leak repair.

katherine

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2006, 03:23:39 pm »
Hi Todd,  I had the same problem with bone cement not hardening properly.  Mine was hard but granulated.  The problem was not noticed until  quite a while after the initial surgery.  I never heard what you did about the problem.  Let me know how you handled it.  I was told that this could be a problem for meningitis or other infecton and so the bone cement  was taken out quickly.  I still have some lingering problems from this second surgery and never really got much information about what to do about the cement they could not remove and about the hole in my skull.  If you know more or anyone has had a similar experience let me know.  Katherine

tjc

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2006, 07:55:38 pm »
Well I had my appointment and yes th e Duron cement on my head is cracked, they say unless I have no problems
i.e. CF leaks of infection we wait. the Skull is expected to knit over in time ,we shall see. Still have headahes.
Next appt. April 24th 06
Todd
8mm AN  left ear removed  9/12/05  suboccipital aproach at Oregon Health Science University by Neurotologist Sean Mcmenomey and Neurosurgeon Dr. Johnny Delashaw.

katherine

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2006, 10:48:48 pm »
Glad to hear that there are no signs of leaks or infection.  That would be a major concern.  I wonder if the wanderer could help you more from their experience.  The headaches are a bummer.  I did not think that the bone ever would knit over.  I thought that once the bone is gone it doesnt remake itself.  What about that?  Dont we all just have a hole in our heads now?  Katherine

LBM

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2006, 05:46:23 pm »
Please help me.  I am a 31 year old female who had a 3 cm AN removed during an 8 hour operation last April in NYC. I spent 22 days in the hospital for extreme pain!!!!!! I still have a lot of pain and I went back to see my neurosurgeron about two weeks ago and he said that the pain is originating from the titanium mesh plate he inserted to close the skull and recommendes removing the plate since the skull has reformed. I too feel a scushy, cracking, moving spot in my skull where I am convinced the pain originates from and spread to my left eye on the AN side that is so intense and severe. I believe it is due to positions since I always get it upon awaking in the moring. I don't know if removing the plate will eliminate the headaches. He couldn't guarantee it but seemed confident it was worth a shot. I can't bear the thought of another surgery. I have been working with a pain management neurologist for the past 11 months and getting no where.
Can anyone please help me??????????
Lauren