Author Topic: My incision is bleeding  (Read 7702 times)

wendysig

My incision is bleeding
« on: August 18, 2008, 02:08:12 pm »
Hi all,
Just when things have been going so well, a new wrinkle appears -- the bottom of my incision is bleeding.  This is where is has been leaking from but today there is real  blood coming from it.  When it first started this morning I thought I had clipped it when I was brushing my hair.  I sent Dr. Choe an e-mail and he didn't seem too concerned but told me to keep an eye on it.  I went out for my appointment with the chiropractor and when I got back the bandaid was leaking and a thin trickle to blood was running down my neck.  It turned out most of the trickle was from the bandaid (I think) because it was completely saturated.  My incision just has spotty bleeding.  I'm not sure how concerned to be but I sent Dr. Choe another d-mail and am waiting to hear back from him.  I thought about calling and still might if I don't hear from him soon.  My incision is not painful or inflamed so I'm not sure this would qualify as urgent enough to call him.  What do you think?

Wendy - driping in NYC
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: My incision is bleeding
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 02:09:45 pm »
wendy,

Please call the dr's office and keep us updated on what he says, ok? Try to hang in there...

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 03:07:59 pm »
Wendy:

Sorry to learn of this new complication and I hope it turns out to be minor.  I'll assume you've called Dr.Choe by now and are following his instructions, whatever they may be.  Let us know - when you can.  Don't let this minor obstacle get you down..it happens..it's repairable.  You'll be O.K. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 03:28:23 pm »
Hi Wendy,
I know you'll call the doc, so don't despair: I'm sure it's minor and fixable.  Let us know...
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 03:44:31 pm »
CALL DR CHOE!!!

Debbi, your very concerned friend in NJ
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

wendysig

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 04:59:09 pm »
Hi all,
After I read Phyl's post I decided to check my e-mail one more time before calling Dr. Choe and he had finally answered me.  He told me to hold pressure on it (he told me (10 minutes, but I probably did it longer) to see if it would stop and to keep an eye on it --  and I think it did stop --, I didn't take off the bandage I had on it, but thankfully, it doesn't look like it's bleeding anymore.  Now I don't want to take the bandage off for fear that will start the bleeding again.  I am waiting to hear from him either by phone or e-mail as to how to proceed because I'm not sure of what to do.  My guess is that he is in transit or I know he would have called or e-mailed me by now.  In the meantime, my moment of near panic has passed.  As a former emergency medical technicial, the sight of blood, even my own, doesn't usually bother  me but this is different as I'm sure you all understand.

Wendy
2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

MAlegant

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 05:21:16 pm »
Hang in there Wendy, distract yourself, have a glass of wine.  And wait for the wonderful Dr. Chloe to get back to you.  Sending healing thoughts your way....
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

wendysig

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 05:58:40 pm »
Thanks to all of you.
I just  heard from Dr. Choe.  Since I'm pretty sure the bleeding has stopped, he told me to leave the bandage on  until tomorrow.  He also said to keep the incision  dry with plastic wrap when showering for the next couple of days.  As long as it doesn't start bleeding again or become inflamed everything should be okay.  I am breathing a huge sigh of relief and hope this is all I have to do.

Wendy - thinking dry thoughts and about a glass of wine -- probably a merlot since it's dry!

Marci - Thanks for the idea

Debbi - The road to recovery apparently cannot help winding around a few bends for everyone, but I can handle that.
2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008, 08:11:15 pm »
Wendy, are you positive it was blood? I ask because I had a discharge from my suture line that looked like watery blood and it turned out to be serous fluid. Of course, I had to google that once I got home, and I found this at a site about wound drainage (http://www.pilonidal.org/aftercare/drainage.htm):

Serous Fluid - Those with closed wounds should be on the lookout for Serous fluid, which is yet another interesting wound healing byproduct that the body creates to help dilute the toxins produced by bacteria and toxic products being released from dying cells. In addition, the serous fluid helps to carry plasma proteins and leukocytes to the wound site. Lastly, the serous fluid assists in removing bacterial toxins, dead cells, debris, and other products of inflammation. For those with a closed incision (sutures), this fluid can build up inside the surgical site and the drainage can be a large (scary) amount of yellow/orange fluid. Usually nothing needs to be done other than to cover the open spot to protect the clothes, but your surgeon should still be contacted because similar fluid can come out of the wound in the case of a rare but more serious wound complication.

Anyway, I'm glad your drainage has stopped. Enjoy the wine. I've had to stop drinking wine because it tastes funny now.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

wendysig

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2008, 09:46:01 pm »
Sara,
A very good question and thank you for the information, but I'm positive it was blood.  I've had  serous fluid drainage for almost a week and know what it looks liike.  Today it was deep red not orangey as it had been  and not watery -- in other words blood.

Thanks,
Wendy
2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

MAlegant

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2008, 07:43:13 am »
Hey Wendy,
How are you today?
M

wendysig

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2008, 08:28:11 am »
Hi Marci,
Thanks for your concern  So far, so good.  My incision looked like it had bled a little more last night, but was dry when I took off the bandaid this morning.  I sealed up the entire operattive site with plastic wrap and waterproof tape, with the help of my daughter before showering this morning. It was hard getting the tape out of my har but worth it -- so far, I have no drainage or bleeding today.  I sent Dr. Choe an update this morning -- I hope he doesn't think I'm being a pest now.   I'm hopeful that my leaky head days are behind me or soon will be.   I have physical therapy later today -- I remember someone here calling physical therapists physical terrorists so I'm a little nervous about that.   Hope you have a great day!

Wendy - High and dry in NYC
2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Kaybo

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2008, 08:55:06 am »
Wendy~
Just returned from a mini-vacation & am getting caught up!  Glad today seems DRY...hope the PT went OK.

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2008, 12:45:44 pm »
Wendy:

Good to learn that your incision is staying 'dry'.  I wouldn't be too concerned about  Dr. Choe thinking you're being a 'pest'.  I'm sure he's pleased that you're being attentive to your wound.  It isn't as if he had to do anything but stay in touch with you - and most surgeons like to do that immediately following your hospital discharge.  In any case, let's hope this is the end of leaking and you heal up quickly.  :)

Jim 
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2008, 12:54:00 pm »
Wendy-

Glad that you appear to be getting through this.  And, I am quite sure Dr. Choe doesn't view you as a pest.  If it makes you feel any better, I was emailing photos of my incision to Dr. Roland for 5 days before he had me head back to the hospital.  It was our morning ritual - I'd send a photo and description, he'd reply with instructions...  So, no, you are FAR from a pest!  You are doing the right thing by keeping him in the loop.

Debbi, sending you a bear-hug!
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com