Author Topic: Arm & Hand pain?  (Read 2585 times)

clr

Arm & Hand pain?
« on: June 16, 2009, 01:06:51 pm »
Hello everyone!

I do not have an AN but our 23 yr old daughter does. It was 4.4 cm (can't remember the other measurements at the moment) . She has had 2 surgeries with a 3rd to be done on 6/22. She has no hearing at all in her left ear (where her tumor was).  Her balance nerve was taken during surgery with absolutely no balance problems for her. They say she has had the tumor for quite awhile and her brain has compensated.  Her recoveries have gone quite well and so far there has been no facial nerve damage which is what she has been worried about.

Ever since her second surgery both her arms wake her up during the night and she is in such pain that she cries. She says they hurt more than her 2 surgeries did. They hurt from her elbows down into her fingers. Her hands feel like they are on fire, they tingle, and they go numb.  It happens from about 3 am till 8 am, then she gives up sleeping, and gets up for the day. Within an hour or 2 of being up, her hands do get back to normal. Her neurosurgeon told her to see our family doctor. Our family doctor tells her to see her neurosurgeon. Finally, our family doctor sent her for a nerve conduction test. It says she has mild carpal tunnel; however, as her doctor agrees, she is having far too much pain for mild carpal tunnel. She was on pain meds but he will not perscribe them  anymore. I should mention that the only reason our family doctor would see her is because my sister is a nurse there.

My daughter saw her neurosurgeon a few days ago and again mentioned the pain and told him about the nerve test. Our family doctor faxed him the results of the test. The neurosurgeon called and told us that it was because of the way she laid during her surgery. 

My daughter has been seeing a chiropractor and going for hand therapy since no one else will help her.
Has anyone experienced this hand pain? 
I do not have an AN, my 23 yo daughter does. Her username here is Bets.
4.6cm x 3.6cm x 4.4cm  UPMC Retrosigmoid 12/29/2009, 01/19/2009, 06/22/2009 
CK Oct 2009, Dr. Hirsch
SSD before & after surgery
After 3 surgeries, some facial paralysis, but will come back

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Arm & Hand pain?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 03:08:53 pm »
clr ......

I am not a doctor, but in my opinion this sounds like nerve compression or irritation-type pain.  I hope others will chime in here that have had great success with massage (not just any massage, but someone specially trained in surgical recovery massage).

I had bilateral carpal tunnel surgery many years ago because of pain/numbness in my hands ..... which was the worst at night, but it does not sound like that is the whole issue with your daughter.  I certainly hope and pray she will find relief soon.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 03:34:26 pm »
clr ~

I agree with Clarice (a common occurrence) that the lower arm pain your daughter is experiencing is very likely nerve-induced.  Although I didn't experience this type of pain, my wife has had nerve pain issues resulting from spinal problems and numerous spinal (and neck) surgeries.  Nerve-related pain is definitely intense, sometimes even debilitating and its often difficult to locate the exact source.  Your daughter's neurosurgeon may be correct in assessing that her position during surgery has resulted in her subsequent lower arm/hand pain.  How to permanently alleviate it is the greater question.  Unfortunately, I'm not a physician and don't have a ready answer.  Your daughter may need to consult with a doctor who specializes in peripheral nerves.  I hope she can find relief, soon.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

clr

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 08:27:21 pm »
Thanks for the responses.

Her neurosurgeon operates on the peripheal (wow, how do you spell that?) nerve. I guess that's not her problem because he said if it was, he would be happy to do the surgery.

After her recovery from her upcoming surgery, she will start back with her chiropractor and hand therapy.  Hopefully, something is going to give her some kind of relief.

I think we will have to look into massage therapy, too. We never thought of that. Thanks!
CK Oct 2009, Dr. Hirsch

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 07:30:25 pm »
I woke up from my surgery with a bruise on my elbow that damaged my ulnar nerve.  I had tingling and pain in my pinky finger, ring finger, and palm.  It was a pressure bruise from lying completely unmoving for 12 hours with inadequate padding in that spot.  It soounds like the exact same thing as your daighter.

I had the nerve conduction test that showed significant damage.  I was devastated!  But the goods news is that it started, suddenly, to get better about six months post-op.  By a year post-op, it was 95% better and that's where it stayed.  I only notice a slight tingling if I go deliberately poking at my hand.

Nerves take a long, long time to heal. I hope it starts soon for your daughter!

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

clr

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 06:56:29 pm »
Thanks, Katie, that is really good to know! I will be sure to tell Betsy.

Cindy
CK Oct 2009, Dr. Hirsch

AMD

• I'm sorry, could you repeat that?
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 09:29:49 pm »
I had really rare complications after my surgery, but long story short, i had a full right arm brachial plexus injury.  That means no movement in the right arm at all and terrible pain.  I had my surgery in Nov. '08, and I am doing much better.  Nerve compression can cause problems, but after a while they can really start coming back.  Mine turned a mjor corner this month alone.  Tell her to stay with it, exercise her arm when she can....sometimes "babying" the pain doesn't help any.  But, nontheless, I wish her luck and pain relief!!! 

ps: nerve pain is really bad, and there were days when Lortab (narcotic) didn't work either :)
Left side 1.7 cm AN diagnosed 7/30/08
Misdiagnosed for 8 + years
Surgery, Sub-occipital, 11/17/2008 at Indiana University Hospital
Left SSD
Tumor much larger than expected. Facial nerves intact, but had RARE swelling resulting in brachial plexus injury and tracheostomy after surgery.