Author Topic: We just found out a few hours ago my dad has Acoustic Neuroma  (Read 2548 times)

eoswins

We just found out a few hours ago my dad has Acoustic Neuroma
« on: December 28, 2012, 11:15:34 pm »
Can anyone recommend any doctors from either University of Pennsylvania or Thomas Jefferson hospital?

His symptoms are: Almost complete loss of hearing in his right ear(started a few years ago, gradually got worse), tinnitus, right side of face cold, numb(recent), loss of taste on right side of tongue(recent), and problems with vision(recent)

Would any techniques used in surgery be able to bring back his hearing?

Any help is appreciated..thank you.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 11:31:29 pm by eoswins »

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: We just found out a few hours ago my dad has Acoustic Neuroma
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 01:15:42 pm »
Hi - and welcome to the ANA discussion forums. 

I do not reside in your geographical area so I'm unable to recommend any physicians at the facilities you asked about.

However, I can respond to your question regarding AN surgery and hearing restoration.  Although AN surgery removes (or reduces) the benign tumor, it cannot restore hearing.  Once the hearing nerve has been critically compromised it is irreparable and does not regenerate on its own.  However, there are very effective BAHA (Bone Anchored Hearing Aid) as well as non-surgical devices available that can help compensate for the loss of hearing in the affected ear.

I trust that forum members living near your area will soon be along to offer the information you seek.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 07:20:50 pm »
Can anyone recommend any doctors from either University of Pennsylvania or Thomas Jefferson hospital?

The ANA website has a listing of medical resources on its website. You might have to be a member to access it. If you aren't a member yet, I encourage you to join.

http://anausa.org/index.php/welcome-to-the-ana-member-section#content

3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

Nannybee

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 10:34:25 pm »
I am newly diagnosed myself and Philadelphia is our closest major city. My ENT recommended Michael J. Ruckenstein, MD at Penn, but due to insurance issues, I have to see someone at Hershey Medical Center.
AN 18x19 mm
3 meningiomas
NF2
AN treated with SRS April 2013
MRI Feb 2016 AN shrunk to 17 x 8 mm :)
Constant tinnitus in AN ear
Severe hearing loss AN ear

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 12:41:30 pm »
Diagnosis can be scary, but there are a lot of worse things you can be diagnosed with.  99.9% of ANs are benign - and life after treatment is very good!

As Jim mentioned, there are options for hearing loss - I chose a BAHA and love it.

Good luck to your dad. 

Like arizonajack, I encourage you to become a member of the ANA.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways