Author Topic: point stimulator  (Read 2797 times)

Brewers7

point stimulator
« on: April 19, 2012, 09:24:32 am »
Has anyone tried a point stimulator for facial paralysis?  I am a little over 3 years post op and I have just started.  I trained with a therapist for the past year who was trained by Jackie Diel.  She recently released me.  I know that they discourage the use of electro stimulation because they believe that it will also stimulate synkenesis.  I was a little reluctant to try it for this reason, but since it seems to stimulate one isolated area at a time, I thought that I would give it a try.
Translab surgery 12/15/2008 followed by CSF leakage repair and 3 additional surgeries for MRSA of the brain (NOT typical) SSD,  facial and vocal cord paralysis, numerous reconstructive surgeries, Transear 12/2010

GBWI Lisa

Re: point stimulator
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 04:11:17 pm »
Sorry, I was told by facial re-animation doctor not to try that at all. I saw Jackie Diels in Feb and will again at the end of May.  Haven't you had decent results from therapy? Doctors wouldn't even give me Jackie's contact info until 10+ months post-op, always stressing not to expect things, ie. smile, to be like it originally was. Stick with it!
GBLisa

Brewers7

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 10:18:23 am »
I went through a year of therapy with very minimal results  (sorry).  Others seem to have done well.  I am now over 3 years post op, so I don't feel like I have anything to lose to this point.
Translab surgery 12/15/2008 followed by CSF leakage repair and 3 additional surgeries for MRSA of the brain (NOT typical) SSD,  facial and vocal cord paralysis, numerous reconstructive surgeries, Transear 12/2010

spgreenfield

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 12:07:29 pm »
Even though I only experienced momentary facial weakness, my face is still not at 100% - I am currently seeing a very reputable certified acupuncturist locally and she's actually putting electric stim on 2 of the needles.  It's not at all like what you'd get in the chiropractor's office of hard stim but very gentle.  I have made great progress in regaining my face movement and some sensation to touch.  The times of feeling I have a wad of cotton shoved in the corner of my mouth are decreasing dramatically.

Pam
Pam in South Dakota

MRI & DX on 10/17/11, 2.8 x 2.3 x 2.3 cm cystic & solid mass
Left suboccipital Surgery with Dr. Tew at Mayfield Clinic in Cincinnati on 1/10/12
SSD but no nerves cut in surgery. BAHA implant 8/2012
Facial weakness almost gone!
Acupuncture helping face
Tear duct plug on 4/4/12