Author Topic: Is MRI with contract necessary to detect AN?  (Read 896 times)

Padthink15

Is MRI with contract necessary to detect AN?
« on: April 28, 2023, 08:41:57 am »
I received orders for MRA with contrast of the neck/head and MRI with contrast of the inner ear due to ongoing ear fullness/pain and pulsatile tinnitus I've been having.

The MRAs are necessary to determine if there are any artery issues and the MRI is to check for acoustic neuroma.

The problem is that hospitals/imaging centers will not do everything at once and they have to be done separately.

My concern is getting back to back gadolinium injections.  I already had gadolinium about 10 months ago for something else and I'm not too keen on getting back to get contrast injections.

Would a 3T MRI machine be able to detect acoustic neuromas without contrast?

Greece Lover

Re: Is MRI with contract necessary to detect AN?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2023, 07:59:39 am »
With the obvious caveat that none of us here are doctors, I'm pretty sure that the contrast is required, not only for detecting AN, but also for the detail necessary for laying out proper treatment options. 
Vestibular Schwannoma 1.2 cm. Right side.
Middle fossa surgery at University of Iowa on May 9 2016.
Hearing saved.  Face is fine. Balance pretty darn good most days.
One year follow up MRI showed no tumor. 
Five year follow up showed no tumor, so I'm in the clear.

dwilliams35

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2023, 07:52:37 am »
I think you may be able to see it on a non-contrast MRI, but it's the kind of thing that you have to really be looking for it there.. The contrast will make it jump out where it's absolutely obvious.
Diagnosed 2-2017,  GK 10-2017.

v357139

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2023, 07:13:53 pm »
Best to ask your doctor.
Dx 2.6 cm Nov 2012, 35% hearing loss.  Grew to 3.5 cm Oct 2013.  Pre-op total hearing loss, left side tongue numb.  Translab Nov 2013 House Clinic.  Post-op no permanent facial or other issues.  Tongue much improved.  Great result!!