Author Topic: SBRN Husband  (Read 3713 times)

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: SBRN Husband
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2010, 04:18:12 pm »
Hi Greg .....

Adding my welcome!

Re: tinnitus ..... I had none pre-op, but do post-op.  Most of the time I can successfully refocus and it does not bother me very much unless I am in a very noisy environment or I am very tired and/or stressed.

Re:  information overload .....  When I was first diagnosed, I read everything I could find.  I soon discovered that I was overwhelmed by the conflicting and sometimes out-of-date information so I backed off.  That's when I knew what the right decision for me was.

Re:  complications after surgery .....  There really is no way to predict that with any degree of accuracy.  Much depends upon the size and specific location of the tumor.  I feel much depends upon the skill of the surgeon if you go the surgical route.  And, this is probably not documented anywhere but I think much depends upon your peacefulness in your treatment decision and motivation/expectation that you will have a positive result.

I really did not have a choice in treatment options.  I had retrosigmoid surgical removal at Duke University.  For whatever reason (many prayers being said, I feel) I went into surgery with much peace, expecting a positive outcome.  I lost some additional hearing (but not all) and gained some tinnitus and balance issues.  I had no facial or headache issues before or after.  It was the best possible outcome.

Best of thoughts and many prayers for answers to your questions and peace during this decision-making process.

Let us know how you are doing and ask whatever is bothering you.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011