Author Topic: Eye Check-up  (Read 3661 times)

Jeanlea

Eye Check-up
« on: August 09, 2011, 06:46:16 pm »
I went for my annual eye check-up today. My eye developed a white patch (I'm sure there's a technical name, but I can never remember it.)  shortly after my surgery. From last year to this year it has stayed the same size and it might be a touch better because the doctor can't see any blood vessels leading to it like last year. He also said the I have better lid movement, too. Kind of nice to get good news like that.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

mk

Re: Eye Check-up
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 07:18:47 pm »
Hi Jeanlea,

can you elaborate what sort of "white patch"? Where is it located? My ophthalmologist also found a white patch on my retina, which wasn't there before surgery, together with a small "occlusion" (like vessel leak). The latter disappeared afterwards, but the white spot is still there - he is not sure why it developed and just said to monitor it. I wonder if it is similar to what you mentioned - it is the first time I read about something like this here on the forum.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

Jeanlea

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 09:03:33 pm »
Hi Marianna,

My white spot is a corneal ulcer. It happened because I have no tears, don't blink, and have no feeling in that eye. It's nearly round with a diameter of about 3 mm. It just touches the lower right side of my pupil. If I didn't have to keep ointment in my eye all the time I think I will still be able to see just fine with it. I believe it started because I ended up with a small scratch  in my eye and maybe didn't have it moist enough. Early on I had problems with my eye getting very red. There was a time when I was seeing the eye doctor on a weekly basis.

The doctor today told me that if my eye should blink and tear again normally I would be a good candidate for a cornea transplant. But it has been nearly six years now.

Jean
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
TransEar for SSD

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 06:34:07 pm »
Funny thing Jean, while I was putting lubricant in my eye a few minutes ago I thought of you & was thinking that if I didn't have feeling in my eye it would be a good idea to put lubricant in once every 30 minutes...  did your doctor tell you to keep lubricating your eye ?  Even with the weight, I have to continuously put in lubricant, sometimes once an hour, sometimes after 15 minutes, because as soon as I feel a burning I put it in.  So I was thinking if I didn't have feeling I'd put in the lubricant every 1/2 hour.  I still use the Niteye bubble bandage every night.
So glad to hear your eye has improved !  Continued healing my friend.  Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Jeanlea

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 07:58:18 pm »
Nancyann,

My eye doctor and I are learning about this together. Since I don't have feeling I rely on redness as a sign that I need more lubricant in my eye. My family is good about telling me if my eye is getting red. But it's been really good this past year. I was putting in ointment morning and night, but then I started to skip the night ointment and everything was still fine. My eye does tend to get red after my shower which seems to wash out any remaining ointment. Other than that it's been good.

Jean
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
TransEar for SSD