Author Topic: Moving from W&W- Met with Barker/McKenna  (Read 3315 times)

Aprilcl

Moving from W&W- Met with Barker/McKenna
« on: May 02, 2012, 03:33:38 pm »
Hi all,
On Monday I met with Drs. Barker and McKenna.  I know that at one time Dr. Chang (stanford) was where I was heading, but I could not get over the distance (I am in CT). 
Barker and McKenna agree, surgery is the next step  :-\
I was very surprised that Dr. Barker said he has never seen my combination of symptoms: severe hearing loss with visible facial spasms (eye closure, nose lift, mouth curl).  He thinks I may have two rare conditions combined (AN and a blood vessel pressing on the facial nerve).  To get access to both, he doesn't want to go Translab.  Wants to go retrosig.  I would love your comments... please! 
Thanks, Chris
Diagnosed 2011
Surgery 10/26/2012
Mass Gen and Mass Eye and Ear
Drs. Barker & McKenna
AN size 1.5 cm
Also vascular compression of facial nerve

mk

Re: Moving from W&W- Met with Barker/McKenna
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 07:45:41 pm »
Chris,

did your doctors mention the possibility of a facial neuroma? Even if small, it could cause these kinds of symptoms, and it would affect hearing as well as the two nerves run parallel to each other. It is impossible to tell from the MRI and the surgical approaches are the same for both.

Since this seems like a complicated situation, it may be advisable to seek multiple opinions.  Is the tumor inside the IAC? Some doctors consider that retrosigmoid is not as efficient for small tumors confined inside the IAC.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

Aprilcl

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 05:35:13 am »
Marianna - Thank you for you response.  Barker/McKenna are my second opinion.  Dr. Barker did consider facial neuroma.  But said he would not know until he got "in there"  :(

Although the tumor is inside the IAC, the concern is that there may be a vascular compression on the facial nerve.  He said it would only be visible with the retrosig opening.   
Has anyone heard of this?
Chris
Diagnosed 2011
Surgery 10/26/2012
Mass Gen and Mass Eye and Ear
Drs. Barker & McKenna
AN size 1.5 cm
Also vascular compression of facial nerve

Lynn Mc

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 10:10:05 am »
Chris,
Just checking to see how you are doing???
Translab 01/22/10.  12 x 11.7 x 8.2 mm.
Dr's McKenna/McCall at Mass Eye & Ear,
Dr. Barker at MGH. 
SSD - No other significant problems post surgery, just some minor inconveniences!  Yipee!!
BAHA implant 04/08/11 Dr. Merchant
BAHA Gotcha 07/25/11
"Life is Good"