Author Topic: Mother with AN....update  (Read 2346 times)

Mary

Mother with AN....update
« on: March 15, 2006, 07:58:00 am »
Hello everyone,

I thought I'd fill you in on the latest.   I have been very busy with things and somewhat stressed on occasions.

Brief story: My 81 yrd old mother had a 4.5 Rt. side AN removed at the house Clinic on 11/3/05 with an eye spring put into her RT. eye lid on 11/11/05.   Came home to Arkansas on 11/14/05.

Well it's been 5 months now.   Mom's mind is back to the way it was before we found out she had a tumor.   I put back 11 lbs on her so she's 111 lbs now.   (she was always around 125 lbs and is 5'5" tall)   She is still using a walker but her balance is back to normal too.   She uses he walker because of the eye.   It's still swollen and because it's her dominate eye that's closed she is unsure of walking.   We are going to have the spring removed (in April) and let it heal.   We may need to have the eye sewn shut because the tumor compermised the 5th nerve.   That's the nerve for the feeling on the eye ball.   Right now she has no feeling on her Rt. eye ball.   Back to square one !   After everything is healed we will then decide whether or not to pt the spring back in.   I'm not upset that the eye is still swollen.   It could be a number of reasons and I don't think it had anything to do with Dr. Levine's placement of the spring.   I feel it has to do with allergies to a product used.   We will know more when it's removed.   Anyway I found a doctor in OKC that is very knowlegable with the spring implant and we don't have to fly back to LA. 

Her face is still droopy but she has regained the taste buds on her tongue.   I take her to speach therapy twice a week and now they just excercise her facial muscles.   It does make a difference with the droop ans in her speach.   It's funny how everyone assumes she had a stroke.

My husband and I have decided that mom will live with us.    I just can't see her in independent living.   So now I'm on a mission to find us a house. (more stress)

Everyone take care and I'll be back here sometime soon.

Mary

Kilroy1976

Re: Mother with AN....update
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2006, 08:05:46 am »
Mary, it sounds like your mom came through pretty well, especially for someone her age. It is very kind that you are taking her into your home, and I thought I'd recommend a website that might help you with your search. It's the National Association of Realtors' website (www.realtor.com), and it was a great resource when I was house-hunting. It lets you sort homes by location, price, amenities, etc. Best of luck!
1.8cm AN
Linac
December 13, 2005
Shands Hospital--University of Florida

matti

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2006, 11:07:36 am »
Mary - I have been wondering how your mom's recovery was progressing. So happy to hear that she is doing so well  and she seems to have made a remarkable recovery.  From what I remember her tumor was very large. You are an amazing and wonderful daughter! I know how hard this has been on you.

Thanks for the update and take care
matti
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Raydean

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2006, 12:02:23 pm »
Hi Mary

Gee Mary, You'll miss the "entertainment, just like on TV"  that LA provided!!!! <g>

I just wanted to drop in and echo what has all ready been stated, that you are a devoted, amazing daughter!

You and your family have been in my thoughts.  Sure was glad to read the update.

For those that find themselves being a caregiver I want all of you to know how special you are.
While it's true "he's not heavy, he's my brother"  (or daughter,child, mother, father, sister or SO )  You do it willing  and with love, it's such an important  part in contributing to a positive outcome.  I can't state enough how wonderful, valuable and inspirational you are.  We often overlook the part you have played in the recovery process.

Thanks for everything you do!
Raydean

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2006, 12:08:29 pm »
Mary,

Your Mom couldn't have asked for a better support source and daughter.  You jumped in and researched AN's like a doctor in training  :)    I'm happy your Mom is doing better and will continue to have her in my prayers.

Gary
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!