Author Topic: EJTampa (Ernie's) updates  (Read 56915 times)

catlover

• 13 days post-op. I still have my smile!
Re: EJTampa (Ernie's) updates
« Reply #75 on: March 11, 2009, 04:53:39 pm »
Congrats, Ernie!

Sorry, I'm so late with wishing you all good after surgery, but now I will ...

Congrats to a great surgery and a speedy recover!

I'm still waiting for a date for surgery. I'm getting more and more frustrated as the days pass by.

Hugs from Helene in Sweden  :)
AN found in February, 2006, size 0,8 cm
Surgery 20th May, 2009, retrosigmoid approach
SSD and balance issues
Forever grateful to Dr Siesjo and Dr Kahlon, University Hospital of Lund, Sweden
Two AN:s found 1st March, 2016
Waiting for GK

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #76 on: March 11, 2009, 05:35:21 pm »
Hey, wait a minute, I'm in the 48 hour club as well.  Surgery on a Tuesday, home Thursday before dinner.  (Thank God because the hospital food was really awful)
Ernie, how are you today?
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #77 on: March 11, 2009, 07:48:24 pm »
A week without a tumor.

*WARNING*  Very long post.  Read at your own convenience.  You may want to skim through :).  Some like details, others just the talking points.  Sorry!**

Day 1 - Arrived 5:15 at TGH.  Everything went very quickly.  It was one room to another until the pre-op area. Pre-op IV nightmare (both my arms are bruised and sore, long story, another time).  Asthesiologist arrived on time and checked everything over.  He was bright and cheery.  That's just wrong so early.
          Wheeled down a hall to "get into position".  Nothing happening yet, but this will calm your nerves a little.  My next vision was very blurred, and I felt like I got run over by a truck.
          Post-op Recovery.  I'm feeling a bit sick.  Wife has just walked in, said everthing went well.  I put my hand to my head, scratched on the bandage, "I can't hear".  She said "No.  They cut the nerve.  The tumor was very sticky on the hearing nerve.  Where's the call bell?  I have to throw up?  They don't have them here.  <details deleted in case you are eating>.  Nurse comes running from across the room.  Why didn't you call me?  I was RIGHT THERE!  (Remember, I had a tube recently yanked out of my throat, there is no call button, and I'm pretty sure getting up and tapping her on the shoulder was out of the question.  My wife told me I was mean to her.  I'm not normally like that.  But come to me yelling at me?  Geesh.  Ok, I told her she was incompetent, and maybe some other things too.  If she reads this, I am sorry for that, but understand we can't talk loud, we can't jump and whistle, and we don't have a call button.  There was nothing nearby to throw.
         ICU.  How do people live through it?  They gave me ice chips and morphine.  Both are very nice.  I had severe pain with the morphine in the IV, so they used the IV in the other hand after that.  Less pain, but pain nonetheless.  They said they would have to check on me every couple of hours and ask my name, surgery date, todays date, etc.  They tried to trick me by not changing the date on the board :).  Night one in ICU was mostly a blur.  I'ts day 2 before I know it.

Day 2.  It's morning.  Day nurse on duty now.  Tries using right arm IV again for morphine.  My eyes pop out of my head.  He says it looks ok, shouldn't burn that much.  Right.  Nurse says he's working on getting me a room (it's 9 AM).  One is lined up, but it's a shared room, and female has to be fully discharged first.  Had to prove I could walk the halls first so off we went.  He said I did amazingly well for that type of patient. Wife was there for a while, then had to run errands.  I'm fine, go ahead.  Starting to have pain again a few hours later.  Where's that call button?  Crap.  I can't find it.  Oh well.  This isn't a vacation you know.  Suck it up.
           It's about 4 PM now, wife is back.  Call button was left on some table or something way out of sight and reach.  An honest mistake I'm sure since really, the nurse was a good nurse and knew his stuff.  Not looking good for a room.  ICU another night?  All those horrific beeping noises.  Please, no.
           It's about 6 PM, maybe 530.  Doctor Danners is there.  I told him they couldn't get me a room and I didn't want to stay here.  I said I wanted to go home.  He said I would do perfectly fine at home.  I had been eating regular food all day.  They even brought me a subway tuna salad sub for lunch because I don't eat meat on Fridays during lent.  Dinner was a good looking fish and broccoli dish, but you know the taste deal.  Doctor said, I'm writing your discharge papers now.  There was an hour delay due to last dose of IV antibiotics required.  I'm feeling good now!  We got up and walked.  I posted my first message on the forum, took some pictures, etc.
          9 PM - I'm on my way home!  Surgery Thursday, home on Friday.  One night stay!  Woohoo! (I hate hospitals).

Day 3 - Nights are horrible.  Sleeping elevated doesn't work for me.  I think I'm using 5 pillows to make a ramp.  Backaches, neckaches, yuck.  That's my night routine through day 7.  Yuck.  I don't look forward to bed.  But day 3, Saturday, was a day of rest.  I felt slow, sluggish. Tinnitus to the max, lots of new stuff too.  Wooshing, ringing.  We have this eagle wall clock that has a unique tone at the top of each hour.  We haven't been using it for at least 6 years.  My ear was giving me the EXACT tone, length, tail off, everything. Cool.  Lots of naps today.  Finally, got myself up and said, I need to walk.  We went on a 30 minute walk outside and I felt much much better!

Day 4 - Sunday - Bandage off!  It looks good.  Picture time!  I'm concerned about some moisture in the nose, sleeping arrangements, and some oilyness in my AN ear.  Put a call into Dr. Bartels nurse (24 hour number to call no matter what).  Dr. Danners calls us back in good time, and says unless I lean forward and have a watery liquid actually drip from my nose, then don't worry about it.  He also says, I must sleep with my head above my heart, no exceptions.  bah.

Day 5 - Monday - A good day altogether, but I'm noticing that the pain meds are not working like they were, and I feel like my head is full and tight.  2 walks today, but I didn't get that great feeling after either one.

Day 6 - Tuesday - Trainwreck!  All I want to do is sit and sulk, but we push on for our morning walk.  I'm miserable by mid day.  When can I take my pain medicine again?  Are you serious?  3 more hours!?!  I'm going to die today.  We put a call into the nurse at 3PM and leave a message.  4 PM comes and I can take my meds.  Nurse calls to ask details, then Dr. Danners calls about 6 PM.  I described my pains which are now largely uniform on the right side, just all over pain.  There is a new headache that encompases the entire head and thobs with each pulse.  He mentions I may have a bit of checmical meningitus.  He asked if I remembered him saying that the steriods from the IV would wear off in about 5 days.  I said yes.  He said swelling is likely the culprit, and told me to go ahead and take my first does of Decadron, then continue it as instructed.  He also asked me my normal med routine.  1 percocet every 6 hours.  He said I can take 2.  I mentioned that pain relief wasn't the real issue but rather duration, so he said take 1 every 3 hours then, same thing as far as amount in the body.
         Guys - within 3 hours of my first decadron dose it was like I had been saved!  I took my normal pain med at 10 PM just in case, but didn't have any pain.  Just took it because I was going to bed.  Wow - Thank goodness.

Day 7 - Today! - Great day today.  No pain.  No pain meds.  Continuing my decadron as instructed.  We walked outside twice today and went to the mall in the afternoon.  Here it is, 9:45 PM and I'm still doing great, nearly 24 hours with no pain meds.  I'm not fatigued, I'm just feeling good.  Not 100 percent.  Dizzy still especially when turning my head.  I'm not looking forward to the end of my decadron, but hopefully the post-operative swelling will be done with.

That's it.  My one week update!  I know, a book, but hey,

Ernie, how are you today?
Marci

You asked :)

Ernie
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 08:01:25 pm by EJTampa »
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #78 on: March 11, 2009, 08:33:50 pm »
Ernie, you're a total rock star.  Keep it up--we've been there, felt that, etc.  You are well on your way, minus the small bumps in the road. I'm so glad you were able to get to a pain free place.  I remember being terrified of going to sleep because of the pain I'd wake up with.  But it was short-lived, like you, about 3 days.  Remember, the first three days do not count. Even if you spend them at home!
Best,
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

sgerrard

« Reply #79 on: March 11, 2009, 09:16:01 pm »
I can't believe it has been a week already. It seems like just yesterday you were getting out of surgery on the second day. My how time flies.

I bet the swelling is not a problem when you finish up the steroids. Be sure to do the gradual decrease to avoid any weird effect from stopping them. Keep up those gentle walks and have a great second week.

So who is getting the scarf next?

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

TaraT

« Reply #80 on: March 12, 2009, 07:07:11 am »
Ernie,

I am so glad you are doing so well.  I enjoyed your long post and the details.  I am reading everything I can so I know what to expect.  Take care in your continued recovery.

Tara
1/7/09 2 cm AN diagnosed
3/24/09 Translab surgery
Dr. Chen and Dr. Aziz, AGH, Pittsburgh, PA
SSD right ear
Facial paralysis right side 3/6

EJTampa

« Reply #81 on: March 12, 2009, 07:16:57 am »
Thanks all.  Yes, the next question is to the scarf.  It has done it's job in a big way for me, more than I could have hoped for.  The scarf needs to travel to the next person in need, and may it bring comfort and a successful journey to them as it has me.

I will look at the AN schedule, and feel free to make suggestions.

Ernie
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 06:40:30 pm by EJTampa »
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.

moe

« Reply #82 on: March 12, 2009, 09:01:09 am »
The mall on day 6???? Who's idea was THAT :D
WOW is all I can say.
You are doing excellent. So glad for you. Keep it up, keep pacing yourself. Good days, not so good days, there will still be some of each, but sounds like you are over the worst of it.
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

EJTampa

« Reply #83 on: March 12, 2009, 09:32:29 am »
The mall on day 6???? Who's idea was THAT :D
WOW is all I can say.
You are doing excellent. So glad for you. Keep it up, keep pacing yourself. Good days, not so good days, there will still be some of each, but sounds like you are over the worst of it.
Maureen

Do you think the scarf and perhaps the pink lap top have changed me in some way?  :o  Qucik, someone get me a beer and turn on ESPN!

Ernie

lori67

« Reply #84 on: March 12, 2009, 09:39:22 am »
Ok Ernie, you asked for it... here comes some fruity "frou - frou" beer (as my husband calls it) and some synchronized swimming on ESPN.

Now you'll look just fine with your leopard print scarf and pink laptop!

Want to go out shopping for shoes later?   :D

Seriously though - the mall on day 6 is impressive.  I thought hitting the mall at 3 weeks was pretty good in my case.  And I think it was the only time I didn't buy anything - clearly a sign I was suffering from some sort of brain trauma.  Glad I got over that!   ;D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #85 on: March 12, 2009, 04:39:17 pm »
Ernie:  Are you made of steel ? ! !   I can't believe you getting out of the hospital the day after AN surgery ! !
Is there an award for this ? ! !
You so quickly passed through issues that took most of us weeks, months, years to clear up !

Continued healing my friend.

Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

EJTampa

« Reply #86 on: March 12, 2009, 06:33:26 pm »
Nancy,

I hope my good fortune isn't 1)  short lived, and more importantly 2)  Not taken in the wrong context.  I am very excited about receiving such a great outcome (so far), but I hope nobody reading is taking my joy the wrong way.  I still pray for all of you that continue to have issues, and it really would be more fair to spread some of that around and kind of even it out.  :(

Day 8 - March 12th... The night didn't go well.  Remember I had decided to kick the pain pills.  When I sleep, pain returns in a big way.  I find myself rolling to my non-AN side at night, and it seems things shift a bit (as opposed to looking straight up at the ceiling).  I think I will be taking a pain pill before bed tonight :).  We still went for our morning walk.  The day was much dizzier and wonky headed than day 7.  We did hit walmart briefly in the afternoon, but otherwise stayed home.  We just recently finished our evening walk and I am feeling better, finally.

Ernie

wendysig

« Reply #87 on: March 12, 2009, 10:02:31 pm »
Ernie -
Congratulations on your amazingly great recovery so far!   :) :) :)  Just remember not to push too hard or your body will remind you who is boss -- I'm acutally surprised it hasn't already.  When you feel as good as you apparently do, it's very easy to overdo. 

Wishing you conitnued wonderful healing,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #88 on: March 13, 2009, 06:19:02 am »
Hi Ernie:  No one is taking your joy the wrong way,  in fact,  it gives us joy to know how well you did/are doing.  I see you will have up & down days (day 8 not as good as day 7),  but it truly is amazing how you were discharged the following day - divine intervention ?    Whatever it is, I think it's GREAT ! !

Continued healing my friend,  always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

tenai98

« Reply #89 on: March 13, 2009, 07:36:05 am »
Yes Ernie, you are an inspiration to all of us waiting to become posties....I'll be there in about three weeks and will keep you in mind. We all know and understand that we are all different in symptons and recovery, but hearing your story and visiting with Cindy has enlighten my hopes.
JO ;D
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7