Author Topic: The other shoe... (might be tmi)  (Read 21216 times)

anissa

• My Journey
The other shoe... (might be tmi)
« on: November 30, 2009, 06:46:41 pm »
I have no idea what is happening to me!  I turned 40 this year and so far I've had brain surgery, gall stones, and now...this.  So, the other day I was bragging  :D about how my gall bladder was not of an emergent nature in my estimation and I was avoiding surgery because I'd had enough surgery this year.  Well, Friday night I had a fairly serious attack and following that noticed that I had blood in my urine.  Sorry, I'm just putting this out there.  I'd just gotten over a "bladder infection" 3 weeks ago but now I though it was due to my gall bladder attack.  Ack, to make a long story short, checked in with my doc today, he tested it and feels that its not (and nor was the last episode) a bladder infection, have anything to do with my kidney stone or my gall bladder but something is wrong.  He'd sent for labs on the last one and the blood count was way high like over 100.  He said that if this turned out the same I'd be headed for a colonoscopy and it could be very serious.  He actually said that the only things that could possibly cause this much blood in the urine would be either polyps or cancer.  :(  I have no idea what to think right now.  I'm supposed to call for results tomorrow morning and then we'll know what to do next.  I'm 40 years old, I have a husband and 4 kids under 7.  Of course I'm thinking the worst. 

Has anyone had this scenario? 

I deeply covet your prayers.
Anissa
2/11/09 Diagnosed AN 2.1cm
2/26/09 Consult with Dr. Clough Shelton, U of Utah
4/1/09 Translab with Shelton & Couldwell
--little teensy bit of tumor or cells on facial nerve, stuck! No facial weakness, Rt side SSD
4/8/10 1-yr MRI, "Looks great!"

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
Re: The other shoe... (might be tmi)
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 07:14:23 pm »
Anissa, you certainly have my prayers. I have not personally experienced anything you are describing, and while it does sound frightening, there have to be other possibilities in addition to polyps or cancer, including your gut reaction about your gall bladder attack.

I know it is tremendously difficult not to worry in times like these. When I am extremely stressed, I read Matthew, chapter 6, in particular: 25"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? 26Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?

28"And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? 31So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' 32For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

I hope this gives you some comfort.

Sara
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 09:57:47 pm by saralynn143 »
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

tenai98

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 07:26:25 pm »
Anissa
you have my prayers....
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 08:07:37 pm »
Anissa,

Please know that I am thinking of you and sending good vibes your way.  Keep us posted on everything--no such thing as TMI here.  The wonderful pirate towel you made for me is being put to good use--it is being used on my table top and keeps the beads I am stringing from running away.  You have a big heart and we all here will be praying for you at this time. 

Big Hugs,

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Jill Marie

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 08:32:46 pm »
Anissa, they say bad things come in 3's so it looks like this should be it for a long time to come.  Just remember that the doctors don't know everything, one would usually think that is a bad thing but that's not always true.  They don't know for sure what is going on with you right now so they're trying to give you POSSIBLE answers, not for sure answers.  Hopefully you get some news tomorrow that relieves some of the worry.  There will be lots of people praying for good news!  Jill
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

another NY postie

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 09:08:52 pm »
Anissa, I too am sending you prayers that you get good, uneventful news tomorrow.  I know it is useless to say not to speculate or worry because this is very worrisome, so just breathe deeply and know you are on many, many people's minds right now.
Cheryl
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 07:10:01 am by another NY postie »
5 mm lateral IAC (impacted?) diagnosed 6-09-09
middle fosa 9/23 HEI - Brackmann/Schwartz
all tumor gone, facial perfect, no ringing
SSD on right side - Rockin' and Rollin'

mandy721

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 09:10:07 pm »
Anissa,
My thoughts and prayers are with you and I so hope that you get good news tomorrow.
Mandy
Husband diagnosed 5/30/09 with 3.2cm right AN
Surgery at  Columbia Presbyterian 8/4/09
Platinum eye weight implant - 8/17/09
17 days in hospital and rehab
SSD, facial weakness, some tinnitus, headaches , balance and eye problems

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 09:33:10 pm »
Anissa,

I once had a doctor who told me not to worry until he worried....and a had a dad who said not to spend energy on worry because if and when the time comes you need it for other things. Easier said than done.

Until the tests are done, you won't know if it is a simple issue or a complex one. The good news is that you are on top of it all. You've tackled the AN. The gall bladder was a nuisance but it's over and done.  You'll be able to tackle this too..

Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Kate

Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009, 10:45:27 pm »
Anissa -

I'm with Captain Deb.  There is no such thing as TMI here - we're all family.

I've never had anything like what you describe but, like everyone else, I hope it's nothing serious.

Please keep us updated.

Praying for you,

Jan   
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

SML

• If wishes were like horses, we would ride.
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2009, 11:13:44 pm »
Hi Anissa,

Rich and I are sending you good thoughts and prayers. We're hoping tomorrows results will bring good news.

Bad doctor for worrying you before he has all the facts.

Scarlett & Rich
SML(Scarlett)-Massachusetts
1.5 cm x 2.5 cm Cystic AN - Right side
Retrosigmoid 3/18/09 at MGH in Boston,MA.
Dr. Barker - Neurosurgeon, MGH - Dr. Lee - Neuro-Otology, MEEI
no facial issues, SSD right side, balance issues to work on.
Outstanding Surgeons, I'm very happy with the results.

sgerrard

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2009, 11:14:17 pm »
Dear Anissa,

You may think the worst, but we shall think only the best. Whatever it may be, there will be steps you can take, and that is what you will do when you find out. And we shall be at your side.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

moe

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2009, 11:23:33 pm »
Anissa,
My heart goes out to you. Life just throws too many curves! You have enough on your plate with recovery from the AN and 4 kids (whew).

It is hard not to think the worst, especially when the doc says stupid things! Why do they do that?

Maybe because they want to present the worst case scenario, so that they can then say they were wrong, rather than saying "Oh it's just your gallstones acting up" and then finding out you have something worse.
Must be this legal defense mechanism (lots of law suits).

So hopefully nothing serious. It can't be and it won't be. You've got your hands full enough. God does not give you more than you can handle, remember that!
Chin up,
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2009, 02:48:00 am »
Thinking of you, Anissa.
Last I heard it was really bad bedside manner to mention the C word without a diagnosis. 
As others have said, try to keep the worries away.  (Look who's talking.  Worry is my middle name.)
Fresh air and a walk.  Play with your little darlings.  Laugh.
Fingers and toes crossed here.  It worked for Jo!
Nancy
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

wendysig

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2009, 07:23:57 am »
Anissa,

I just read your post and wanted to let you know that you will be in my thoughts and prayers today.  It is natural to think the worst in these circumstances, but we are all  hoping for the best for you.  Please let us know what the doctor says.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2009, 08:03:14 am »
My prayers are with you I had alot of blood from my rectum and had polyps but I am sure of blood in the urine for colon issues.   I am just hoping the tests will show just a minor thing you have been through so much already. Please keep us updated on your tests results.

My prayers,

Pat
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.