Author Topic: questions on facial weakness and slurred speech  (Read 4575 times)

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
Re: questions on facial weakness and slurred speech
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2008, 04:02:06 pm »
Hi Marci-
Just saw your post and wanted to respond.  YES, your face will be "droopier" when you are tired, and your speech may also slur.  Mine still does.  You may find that Ps and Bs are particularly tricky - these are very hard sounds to make if you can't purse your lips.

I did see a speech therapist (I make my living talking, so slurring for life wasn't an option!) and they gave me some specific exercises to address this.  They also recommended tongue twisters to help me with the slurriness - I still do Peter Piper Picked a Peck of Pickled Peppers and Betty's Bitter Batter almost daily.  And, as I have gradually gotten some movement back in my face, the slurriness has gotten better - still a problem when I am tired, though.

For the general numbness on your face - my surgeon recommended warm compresses and that does seem to help.  Interestingly, the facial therapist I saw also suggested taking a very cold metal spoon and running it around inside my cheek and gums - she said it helps to stimulate the nerves in the face.

I'd be happy to send you the print out of the exercises I am using, if you'd like.  Just PM me with your address if interested.

And, be patient!  I just posted some pictures on my blog from this weekend if you want to see how my face looks 3.5 months post op. 

Debbi, feeling your pain!
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

JulieE

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2008, 04:08:37 pm »
Funny - I thought Marci was telling us to eat bon-bons all weekend until I read Jim's subsequent reply! 
Personally, I found even my bite was off due to the swelling.  The doctors (and someone here mentioned it) said 3 months till it would come down, and voila: I could enunciate fairly clearly.  Infact, I was so floored last week, when I read a thread about whistling, and I tried it - and to my suprise I whistled the Olympic theme!  Not a concerto, mind you, but enough of a milestone that I called up (people who would be excited for me - like my mom!) and whistled at them! 
Fatigue does bring out a slur, but that is getting better daily.  You will be talking clearly soon too!
Julie
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 09:48:53 am by JulieE »

lori67

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2008, 04:32:32 pm »
Marci -

I'd go with the drinking heavily.  That way if you slur your speech, you'll know why.  It also can help explain the drunken sailor walk.

Jim, when I'm back home my Jersey accent - and of course, the attitude - comes right back!  It must be a survival of the fittest thing!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2008, 04:42:21 pm »
Lori,
My east coast (South Jersey/Phila.) accent comes back within minutes of being around my relatives.  I'd definitely go with the survival of the fittest!
M
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2008, 08:55:07 pm »
Marci,

That was and still is one of my biggest complaints.  It did ease up for me when I took the Neurontin.  When it is really bad I need a very soft pillow and a warm cloth, with the effected side of my face down on the pillow.  It drove me insane when I was working and than lead to major headaches.  I ended up having a root canal for nothing.

Anne Marie

P.S. My GP calls this neuropathic pain
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2008, 09:44:39 pm »
Anne Marie,
Thanks.  I've taken random drugs ( :P)  and it's better tonight.  It's also called "Paresthesia" if I'm spelling it correctly, and it comes from the nerves trying to regenerate.  This is good news, as annoying as it is.  Here's hoping anyway!
M
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.