Author Topic: Hearing devices  (Read 2851 times)

ernie h

Hearing devices
« on: July 06, 2009, 02:44:41 pm »
I wonder if someone would be so kind as to explain a few things for me.  I'm almost 2 years post-op AN surgery.  I lost my hearing about two weeks later on that side.  The ear surgeon told me that a conventional hearing aid wouldn't work for me.  He said there was one that might but it would limit my hearing on my good side.  He didn't seem too optimistic, so I didn't pursue it further.  I'm sure I could find out but hoped someone might be able to fill me in.  Thanks.   

Ernie H.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 01:09:14 pm by Jim Scott »
ernie.r side ana removed aug 07 by dr peter black and doctor quinton gopen.brigham and womens hosp boston mass.

Jeanlea

Re: hearind devices
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 03:09:14 pm »
It sounds like your doctor may have been talking about a CROS hearing device.  Here is a website that explains it better than I can.

http://hearinglosshelp.com/weblog/?p=177

It seems like you would also be a candidate for a BAHA or a TransEar which are both for dealing with single-sided deafness.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

mikjul1

• Baha blog.
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 03:12:15 pm »
I would recommend a Baha hearing system  http://www.cochlearamericas.com/ here is there website look under products and click on Baha it is a great Hearing system if you have any questions you can email me you would not have to wear it in your ear like hearing aids. They implant a small abutment into your bone behind you ear and the sound processor snaps on to that it is a very simple and painless syrgery my son of 15 just had it and I had it done in April.You can go try the Baha demo to see if it is right for you.

Mike Corso
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 03:19:27 pm by mikjul1 »
:) BORN IN THE GOOD OLD USA :)
SSD on right side since 1974
BAHA surgery on 4/21/09 Dr. Carla Lawson
BP100 turn on date 8/13/09

tenai98

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 05:02:10 pm »
check out the BAHA system...I get my evaluation in less than a month...I get to try the demo...I'm set on the BAHA and hope I can book my surgery ASAP
JO ;D
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

mikjul1

• Baha blog.
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 07:17:55 pm »
Hi Jo good luck with your demo I am sure you are going to be surprised how good it is but just remember that it is better when it is directly to bone.I would have laid on the table there lol  ;D .

Best Wishes,
                                                             Mike Corso
:) BORN IN THE GOOD OLD USA :)
SSD on right side since 1974
BAHA surgery on 4/21/09 Dr. Carla Lawson
BP100 turn on date 8/13/09

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 06:25:14 am »
Ernie H -

IMO you should skip the Cros and look into the BAHA or the TransEar.  As a BAHA wearer, I'm partial to that solution, but hear (no pun intended) that the TransEar is a good solution also.

There is a BAHA "demo" you can try - ask your neurotologist about it - or if your neurotologist doesn't do BAHA implants, check out the Cochlear website (link Mike provided) for a clinic in your area.

I've had my BAHA for 13 months now and absolutely love it!  It's a huge improvement over being SSD.

Good luck,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

ernie h

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 08:40:22 am »
thanks to all for the great info i understand it much better now.i'll ck with my oto.thanks ernie h.thank god for this site and the wonderful people on it.
ernie.r side ana removed aug 07 by dr peter black and doctor quinton gopen.brigham and womens hosp boston mass.