Author Topic: A place to vent  (Read 81721 times)

matti

Re: A place to vent
« Reply #150 on: July 27, 2007, 11:40:55 am »
I also think people minimize our or anyones diagnosis/problems, due to fear and denial. First reaction is shock, second is to comfort and how most of us comfort is to say "it's not that bad, it could be worse or at least it's not cancer".  I am guilty of it, but IS it what I wanted to hear with my AN diagnosis, NO!!! Through my own journey, I found that I was the one doing the comforting with my family and friends and telling them it was going to be alright. I was scared, but so were they.  I really don't think people know how to react unless they are in your shoes.

Just throwing this out there, but before our own AN diagnosis and journey if someone where to come up to us and say "I have a brain tumor", what would you say?

Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #151 on: July 29, 2007, 10:42:03 am »
Just throwing this out there, but before our own AN diagnosis and journey if someone where to come up to us and say "I have a brain tumor", what would you say?

Cheryl

Unfortunately, I was introduced to "brain tumors" far too young in life... I wish I could answer your question but now when I hear it, it's a true mix of emotions but I try my best (not always succeed, but do try my best) to be as supportive as I can since I/we are now in the same shoes.

Not enough coffee yet today....sorry.
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

sgerrard

« Reply #152 on: July 29, 2007, 01:17:26 pm »

I might have said "I hope your surgery goes well", but been thinking "I hope you don't end up in a wheel chair speaking through a computer voice." I didn't know much about them, obviously.

One reaction I got was "just get really healthy and take supplements, the tumor might disappear on its own." Another was "that needs to come out", as if that were as easy as having a wart removed.

It seems to  help to explain that it is a tumor growing on a nerve. This helps convey that it is not growing inside the brain itself, but that it is in a very busy neighborhood, so treatment is not trivial.
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Windsong

« Reply #153 on: July 29, 2007, 01:20:30 pm »
i like that phrase...."it's in a very busy neighbourhood"... thanks.. .that about sums it up doesn't it?

Lorenzo

« Reply #154 on: July 29, 2007, 11:10:54 pm »
Ya, a real spaghetti junction of nerves, with lots of traffic and little space to do road works without disrupting the rush hour.

matti

« Reply #155 on: July 30, 2007, 07:41:49 am »
Lorenzo and sgerrard - Thank you! I am using both of your explanations from now on, hope you don't mind  :)

Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Lorenzo

« Reply #156 on: July 30, 2007, 08:59:09 am »
LOL  Did I write that? Gees.  :D
« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 11:21:31 am by Lorenzo »

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #157 on: July 30, 2007, 11:20:12 am »
I like the analogy of the tumor being located in the major fuse box of the brain, or at Ernestine's "One ringy dingy, two ringy dingies" telephone snake nest of a station.

Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #158 on: July 30, 2007, 04:12:26 pm »
yeah, I feel likee a ringy dingy most of the time.

Someone please invent a headache free day. I mean, I'll even tackle the sea monster with my bare hands. Just one day of no ringy dingies.

Laz
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #159 on: July 30, 2007, 04:28:42 pm »
No Spit! I haven't had a headache free day since I woke up from my surgery!

Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

TP

« Reply #160 on: July 30, 2007, 08:13:46 pm »
For people who blow this off and say it is not "really" brain surgery, that is when I grab their hand and place it behind my ear and let them feel the 4 inch long 1/4 inch deep scar. That usually grosses them out and I get a good chuckle. It is amazing how insensitive "some" folks are to the notion you've had brain surgery. Fortunately majority of my friends and family are very kind and sensitive and really do care but there are a few who I categorize as clods.
4+cmm left retromastoid of cerebellopontine angle tumor removed 6/5/06; Dr. Eric Gabriel, St. Vincents, Jacksonville, FL
Left ear hearing loss, left eye gold weight, facial paralysis; 48 year old female. Dr. Khuddas - my hero - corrected my double vision

Lorenzo

« Reply #161 on: July 30, 2007, 11:53:22 pm »
At least you got the scar to prove it! I haven't that either. All I can say is that I probably glow in the dark, inside my skull. Without physical evidence it's harder to convince them that it was real and that we did get major treatment.

As for the morons, we all have ways to deal with them. Now, I just ignore them, or snap their heads off, verbally. Depending on the mood of the moment.  :) 

Ciao

Lorenzo

Mel

« Reply #162 on: August 01, 2007, 06:03:30 am »
Why do I say, "They call it Brain Surgery, but I don't understand why."?, when I talk about my upcoming
surgery.  Do I say this to make my friends and family feel comfortable?  Why do I pretend that I feel wonderful
all the time eventhough on some days I would like to be a mole and crawl in a hole?
Ooops! Got to get to work!!   
Thanks  Mel
Diagnosed November 2006
8mm Small

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #163 on: August 01, 2007, 09:27:35 am »
I went to visit an older friend whose daughter (my age) had brain surgery two weeks ago.  I asked how the daughter was doing.  She said, "I don't know, all she does is cry when I go see her or call her so I don't bother."  I didn't want to explode at this woman, I was taught to respect my elders.  She further went on to explain that her daughter was afraid she was going to end up like her younger sister (deceased) who had brain surgery.  She then said all they did was relieve the pressure that a vein was creating on top of another vein.  The surgery was perfect and there is no reason for her to act this way.  I was amazed at this woman's attitude.  She totally and completely ignored her daughter's feelings.  I asked for her daughter's address and just on a hunch I stopped by to see her.  I let her cry for an hour with my arm around her.  She just wanted someone to understand what she had been through.  She, as I did, felt guilty because she survived the surgery. Her sister had not.  I got on her computer and showed her our forum and found some for her problem.  I gave  her my phone number and email address and will accompany her to her doctor's appointment on Friday.  Her husband found no reason for her to not go to work today!  I am just truly amazed by insenitive people.  Especially families.
Brendalu
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Betsy

« Reply #164 on: August 01, 2007, 10:31:15 am »
I do the same thing, Mel, especially with my mother.  With her, it's an "ear problem".  What I really want is to tell her how scared I am and have her tell me it's going to be okay.  I've come to the conclusion that it would be worse to see my own fears reflected in her than to bear them on my own, so it remains an "ear problem" that needs to be "x-rayed" to be "fixed".

Brendalu, you did an incredibly kind thing.  You're my role model!

Betsy
15mm left side AN, diagnosed 4/25/07, radiosurgery via Trilogy 8/22/07.  Necrosis & shrinkage to 12.8mm April 2009