Author Topic: magnetic personality  (Read 1373 times)

beancounter

magnetic personality
« on: February 11, 2009, 08:18:37 am »
Hi everyone ..... long time no type to.  I see that all of you are hanging in there and that everyone still has the humor and positive outlook that makes me proud of this great group.  A question:  I've been putting off my first follow-up MRI because of a back story involving a bad injury a little over a year ago (PLEASE watch for black ice if you're an early riser... thank you).  Anyway, I'm curious to know if any of you have any metal in your upper body and, if so, how it's accommodated during an MRI.  I have a plate and screws in my lower arm and wrist and I've watched enough episodes of HOUSE to know it's not a good thing when getting an MRI.  Thanks for any input and God bless you all. 
Newly diagnosed 3x2 mm .... waiting to see what my options are

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
Re: magnetic personality
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 08:25:22 am »
beancounter,
  Be sure to mention the metal to the doctor referring your for an MRI, and to the MRI tech.  Metal parts made of titanium, which is often used for the cranioplasty to repair the hole in the skull with mesh and or screws, is not a problem since it does not contain Iron (Fe) and is not affected by a magnetic field.  Metal that is affected by a magnetic field would be a concern.  This guestion comes up periodically about dental work that contains metal, and the same thing applies.  Generally, metal that does not contain Iron is not a problem.
Regards,
  Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 09:33:57 am »
Titanium, si!
Bionic Ironman wrist, no!

Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Mickey

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 09:49:33 am »
Just to note, I have dental impants a bridge a cap and a filing with no affects on my mri w/contrast. Good Luck, Mickey

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 02:25:13 pm »
Bean -

as Rob said, the most important thing is to tell the technician before you go into the tube that you have metal in you.

It's usually not a problem, since titanium is commonly used in medical "repairs" these days.

I had my 1st annual MRI about a month after my BAHA implant and all the metal in my head wasn't a problem at all.

Good luck.  Please let us know the results.

Been thinking of you,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways