Author Topic: OK now I'm scared after reading about infections...  (Read 2318 times)

Jwh

OK now I'm scared after reading about infections...
« on: February 08, 2009, 02:52:46 pm »
After reading the last couple of posts about infections from the incision area, I'm starting to get concerned.  Should I be applying ointment on the incision daily to be careful?  Did you????  My doctor never mentioned it to me.
Please advise.
Thanks,
Jennifer
5/01  1.3 AN removed at NYU using Retrosig. Approach
2/07  Rediagnosed with Regrowth 8 mm (wait & watch mode)
1/09  1.4 AN removed at NYU using Translab (total tumor removal)

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
Re: OK now I'm scared after reading about infections...
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 03:17:53 pm »
Hi Jennifer,I
It's so easy to get scared, especially immediately post-op. All doctors have different post-op instructions, I think.  I put no ointment on my incision, just gently washed it each time I washed my hair.  I used Carol's Daughter scar butter (from Sephora) and gently massaged my scar.  It was kind of a creepy feeling, but in the end it healed beautifully.  So, don't worry, but if you're feeling anxious, call the doctor tomorrow to clarify scar care.
Be calm, breathe deep,
Marci

3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

JohnnyDiaz

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 03:21:53 pm »
After my first surgery, the Dr.s had to go back and extend the incision due to my complications. I also was never told to put anything on the affected area. I tried left it alone as much as possible. Unless you have pain or notice an issue with the affected area, I wouldn't worry to much about it. If you do notice something strange call the Dr. Hope this helps....
Diagnosed 6/08 - 2.5 cm Left AN
9.5hr surgery 10/7/08 w/Dr. Chandler and Dr. Green Baptist Hospital - Jax, Fl
Post Op Complications - Additional Surgeries 10/12 & 10/13
SSD on Left
7 months later I feel great!!!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 04:45:12 pm »
Jennifer:

I was sent home from the hospital with no instructions about 'wound care'.  When the incision began to show signs of infection, the designated caregiver - my wife, 'Nurse' Tina, as I affectionately called her -  phoned the neurosurgeon and he told her to treat it by rubbing Bactidine on the incision ('the wound') and sure enough, it healed right up with no problem.  My wife was upset with the hospital for not giving her any 'wound' care instructions and so was my doctor, but as it healed nicely, we just let that go. 

I wouldn't allow myself to get too worked up over possible infections in the incision but I would suggest you be sure to ask for 'wound care' instructions when you leave the hospital - and follow them to the letter.  At the very least, keeping the 'wound' clean will be a priority and that will likely include some form of antiseptic (such as Bactidine) being applied regularly.  Do that and you should be fine.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

wendysig

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 06:31:53 pm »
Hi Jen,
Even if your doc didn't give you any wound care instructions, putting bacitracin on it certainly can't hurt.  My doc had me apply bacitracin both before and after showering.   You should give your doc a call and see what he says  --once again there don't seem to be any hard and fast rules for this --I  know many docs feel keeping the incision clean is all the after carethat is necessary.

Best wishes,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 08:46:36 am »
Hi Jen-

Sorry for the late response - I've been away from the Forum for a little while.  If you are at all concerned about infection, please send Dr. Roland an email - or call his office.  He's great, as you know, about responding to email.  As you may know, i did end up with an infection about 2 weeks post op - I emailed Dr. Roland pictures of the incision for several days, had several phone conversations and ultimately ended up back in the hospital for a few days.  I do remember him giving me very specific instructions in terms of what I should use on the incision, so please do ask him.

Sending you good thoughts.

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Cheryl R

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009, 09:48:43 am »
Once my stitches were out we had had to clean the incision with peroxide,then wipe with saline solution and then put bacitracin on.     Keep doing till healed.       I would occ get a tiny bit of a scab but no drainage.       This was supposed to be done 3 times a day but usually just done 2 times.       
Every dr and hospital has their own way and protocol.      This was always on my discharge sheet.   
                                                     Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2009, 10:28:41 am »
Jen -

don't be concerned about an infection - everyone is different and some of us never get them.  Just follow your doctor's orders. 

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jwh

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2009, 02:25:38 pm »
Called the doctor and he just suggested putting bacitracin on.  Sooooo that's what I did.  I can't believe it's two weeks ago today that I had my surgery.  Glad time is moving pretty quickly ;D

Thanks once again for your advice.  I always  look forward to reading what you have to write ;)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2009, 09:31:07 pm »
Bacitracin is good.  I used it after my AN surgery and again after my BAHA surgery.

If you find it's hard to wash out of your hair, skip the shampoo and use Dawn dishing washing detergent.

I kid you not - it works like a charm  ;D   We got that little tip from Lori (lori67)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jwh

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2009, 07:18:41 am »
Jan - nice tip on the Dawn!  Yes, my hair looks like a grease ball....  Can't seem to manage and get it clean around the incision.  I guess I'm a little afraid of touching the area.

Pembo

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2009, 03:28:18 pm »
I didn't use anything for my an surgery but I used baci for my BAHA. And I had to use a lot of Dawn to get my hair clean after the Baha surgery. It definitely worked...
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006