Author Topic: Any tips on maintianing good diction?  (Read 3401 times)

Mart

Any tips on maintianing good diction?
« on: May 16, 2013, 07:58:30 pm »
I was diagnosed with a facial nerve shwanomma in 2/2013 and limitations in facial motor functioning have been slowly progressing. I am also a singer, and have been dreading the day my consonants begin to loose their crispness. I have been experiencing weakness in the right side of my mouth from the beginning (have not been able to whistle since 1/2013), and let's just say my window of opportunity for developing a chewing tobacco habit is behind me. (I have certain cups I am much less likely to dribble my drink out of and have found that drinking out of a bowl to be an incredible time saver!)

I have been taking it all in relative stride until I was singing in my choir last week and my "F" was accompanied by a fake fart sound in the middle of one of our songs.

I was wondering if physical therapy of the face would be helpful while my motor functioning is steadily decreasing. I have heard of this treatment only in the post-op context. If anyone has tried facial physical therapy I was wondering what their experience has been.

Thanks for any information you can offer. 

nftwoed

Re: Any tips on maintianing good diction?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 09:18:09 pm »
Hi Mart;

I'm sorry there are no ready answers. I've encountered other musicians through the years but mostly with hearing problems.
   Have you had the AN removed, or treated?
   The facial nerve is more resilient than the auditory or vestibular as it's a fibered, motor nerve. The others being sensory nerves. After Tx, I've read of improvements in it's fuction for 2+ years in some.

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 07:21:25 am »
Facial therapy might be useful.

You might also consider a speech therapist.
3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

prisca

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 02:58:18 pm »
You might consider a visit to a speech therapist.  I'm a teacher of the deaf and so I deal a lot with speech therapists who work with my kids, but although many people tend to think of speech therapy as a school thing, they deal with adults with all sorts of problems like strokes and apraxia. 

Imcamodchick88

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 10:17:43 pm »
Hi mart,

Mine was an acoustic nueroma, but I also had some diction problems. After talking with my choir directors, I decided to go back to basics. For an hour each night, I worked through vowel sounds and the tougher consonant sounds. I would then sing through my songs, and if I noticed I sounded off on a certain note or letter sound, or if something rubbed me wrong, I'd practice that letter and note over and over again. I did this in the car, at my apartment, everywhere. I'd also sing for someone who had music training and ask their advice, then take their corrections.

My choir is just for fun, although it is a class, but I used it as my speech therapy. However, if your are still struggling speech therapy would be another option as there would be someone there to tell you exactly what sounds need work, and why, and the best way to do it.

Best if luck!
Kristin
2.8-cm AN removed by translab on 12/23/11 at UTSW
Dr. Issacson and Dr. Mickey