Author Topic: Managing tinnitus  (Read 3533 times)

cont1592

Managing tinnitus
« on: June 20, 2014, 10:56:36 am »
Like many of you out there, the ringing in my AN ear has been increasing to the point where it is quite distracting.  For a time I was getting used to it and was able to ignore it.  But now it is so loud, it is distracting even during the busiest times of my day.  I am fortunate so far that my ringing is really my only symptom to date.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I can go to find ways to cope and manage tinnitus?  Most websites I've been able to find do not address tinnitus for AN ringing and therefore do not apply to what we are going through.

Thanks in advance - again.  Rick

robertwh2

• Personal Blog
Re: Managing tinnitus
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 11:17:25 am »
No great advice here but I try to keep music or something in the background to help make it not so obvious.

Diagnosed Feb 2010 with 2.3cm x 3.2cm left side AN
Trans Lab May 26, 2010 tumor had grown to 4.5cm, University of Michigan
Subsequent MRIs are clear
Left single sided deafness

keithmac

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 01:21:29 pm »
Like many of you out there, the ringing in my AN ear has been increasing to the point where it is quite distracting.  For a time I was getting used to it and was able to ignore it.  But now it is so loud, it is distracting even during the busiest times of my day.  I am fortunate so far that my ringing is really my only symptom to date.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I can go to find ways to cope and manage tinnitus?  Most websites I've been able to find do not address tinnitus for AN ringing and therefore do not apply to what we are going through.

I have an AN and I have tinnitus.

In one ear I have ringing, in the other (with the AN) I have a loud, constant hissing.  I've become 'habituated' over the yearsto both and I can't be sure if the noise in my AN ear is 'louder' than when it began but I think it probably is. 

The noise in my other ear has one from barely perceptible (at the time my 'bad' noise started) to decidedly noticeable now but it's not (yet?) as 'loud' as the bad one.

I've also found that websites may focus on one or the other but if you're looking for one (with information and a forum) for tinnitus sufferers there's BTA (tinnitus dot org dot uk) in the UK and Tinnitus Talk (tinnitustalk dot com) in the USA and elsewhere.  I'm a member of both.

rupert

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 07:12:42 pm »

I saw my general family doctor who prescribed .5mg Xanax.  I take one a day before bed.  It, along with a conscientious effort to ignore the ringing has eliminated my tinnitus.  Others here have used the same with good results.  Unfortunately it does not work as well for some.