Author Topic: Coughing (dry)  (Read 2970 times)

joanna_an

Coughing (dry)
« on: June 03, 2014, 06:12:58 am »
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone had chronic cough from the AN? I cough pretty often. Feels like there is something in my throat (which is probably true). It gets worse when I talk.
I have taken syrup for dry cough but I finished the whole bottle (200 ml) with little improvement.
Anyone had this problem and what did you use?

Joanna.
31 years old female
Left AN 18x16x13mm diagnosed on the 17th of October 2013
21mm on the 19th of February 2014
Hearing loss, tinnitus
SRT 12th March 2014

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
Re: Coughing (dry)
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 10:04:18 am »
Unfortunately this can happen for a variety of issues. In my case it is because of the nerve damage affecting the small muscles of throat. This inhibits the involuntary swallowing and creates an inability for the normal mucous that coats sinuses, throat, etc, from going down. I have been coughing now for just over four years, but it has improved a bit. I simply drink a lot of carbonated or hot beverages.

Hot beer does not work well, by the way.

-Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

joanna_an

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 07:28:53 pm »

Thanks Tod..
31 years old female
Hearing loss, tinnitus
SRT 12th March 2014

Kristena

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2014, 03:26:12 pm »
About a month after my surgery, I had a sore throat, hoarse voice and cough. I thought for sure I had something growing in my throat and had my ENT scope it (interesting to watch!) There was nothing, which was a relief. My ENT diagnosed acid reflux. I was very skeptical, but over the next several months I would wake up in the middle of the night from a nightmare that I was drowning, or choking on something, only to find myself actually choking on stomach acid bubbling up! I tried Prilosec (which helped but can only be taken temporarily) and Pepcid at night, and slept nearly sitting up for many months. It seems better right now but comes back occasionally, and I really should see a gastroenterologist when I have time to fit in another doctor. But then I remembered for a couple years before I discovered my tumor, I would start choking on my own saliva for no reason. And after my surgery I had swallowing/choking issues for about 6-9 months, but it seems quite a bit better now. (Sometimes I have to look back to realize how much better things have become.) But I do think the whole swallowing mechanism is very closely related to that area of the brain and nerves that affect it, and may also be related to extra stress.
2.7 cm meningioma in CPA and IAC
Retrosig June 2013 resulted in Facial paralysis and SSD
6-mo post-op MRI showed 1.0 cm remains in IAC
3-yr MRI still shows no new growth!
6/2014 Baha magnet implanted; 8/2014 magnet removed due to poor healing; 9/2014 abutment installed. Hearing fine!

joycebaskin

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 08:23:20 am »
I get coughing a lot especially when I eat certain food that is hard.  Once I start it goes on until I take cough syrup and that is the only thing that helps

joanna_an

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2014, 07:25:47 pm »
I have problems with some foods as well.. I used to think I have a dry mouth.. I can't eat meat unless it's really juicy. What is dry I can't swallow.. Like chicken breast. And I start coughing too, to the point of throwing up.. I am going a bit vegetarian now :(
31 years old female
Hearing loss, tinnitus
SRT 12th March 2014