Author Topic: MRI Contrast Dye Alert  (Read 2059 times)

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
MRI Contrast Dye Alert
« on: June 25, 2007, 11:22:16 am »
I am wondering if this subject can be addressed.  I just saw on TV warnings to people that have had MRI's with contrast about the potential hazard for developing nephrogenic systemic fibrosis/nephrogenic fibrosing dermopathy in patients already diagnosed with renal failure or those that have the potential for renal problems.  After reading the article released by the FDA to healthcare professionals I am wondering if "we" ANers might have future problems? 

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/550122
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

Yvette

• Yvette
Re: MRI Contrast Dye Alert
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 07:14:24 pm »
Hi Karen, I sure hope not. (we ANers have been through enough!)All I know about it is that it seems people who already have severe kidney problems can't filter as well as healthy people can. And those affected usually had much larger doses than recommended. It is wise though that we watch out for ourselves and be alert to possible symptoms. Thanks for the heads up.
3cm translab Jan. 2007 performed at Mayo Clinic MN. by Drs. Link and Driscoll. SSD but doing great!

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
Re: MRI Contrast Dye Alert
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 05:21:45 am »
After speaking to my daughter about this potential problem she reminded me of her patients who had numerous MRI's back to back and they did not show any problems.  Her occupation at that time was Pediatric Nurse Practitioner working in the bone marrow/stem cell unit of Loma Linda Children's Hospital. 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear