Author Topic: Now hair falling out???  (Read 5190 times)

spgreenfield

Now hair falling out???
« on: April 06, 2012, 10:57:06 am »
 :o I noticed at about 3 months post op that I was beginning to have my palms covered in hairs while shampooing...this morning (at nearly 4 months post op) I could actually PULL my hair out on my AN side!  I know that there is less moisture, probably oil gland activity and maybe circulation on the AN side while the nerves heal and possibly regenerate.  I am female - use a thinning hair shampoo because I have very fine, thin hair and this is a first.  I tested it and it IS definitely my AN side only.  Believe me I didn't try too much to pull but when wads were coming....I stopped!

Anyone else have this?  Am I molting because it's spring?  How come only on one side then???

Pam  ???
Pam in South Dakota

MRI & DX on 10/17/11, 2.8 x 2.3 x 2.3 cm cystic & solid mass
Left suboccipital Surgery with Dr. Tew at Mayfield Clinic in Cincinnati on 1/10/12
SSD but no nerves cut in surgery. BAHA implant 8/2012
Facial weakness almost gone!
Acupuncture helping face
Tear duct plug on 4/4/12

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Now hair falling out???
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 11:27:55 am »
Pam ~

This is a new one for me.  Usually, hair loss is associated with radiation treatments, not surgery.  However, we know the body is traumatized during and immediately following any major surgical procedure and AN surgery certainly qualifies as a major surgery. In the months following AN surgery, the body is fighting to heal itself and I've read that the hair growth cycle is sometimes temporarily shut down by our bodies in order to direct more resources to healing.  This may be whats happened in your case although the hair loss in that specific area might indicate some direct trauma to the hair roots when your hair was shaved for the surgery.  This might be a good question for your doctor. 

For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure that if your hair loss is confined to the AN side and is related to the surgery and/or the healing process, it will grow back to it's normal state within a few months. Meanwhile, treat it gently and don't do any more pulling.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

chloes mema

• Life is a special occasion.
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 01:07:39 pm »
Jim

Do people get hair loss with CK?  My hair dresser said I'd probably loss some hair so this weeks hair cut looks like a boot camp recruit.   ;D

Just curious.

Karen
Diagnosed October 2011
Oct '11-9 X 6 mm left ear
Mar '12 - 1.25cm
Tinnitus, imbalance, and mild dizziness (ditsy)
My AN = Annoying Nuisance
Jan'12 W&W
May'12 CK completed
Oct'12 hemifacial spasms
Dec'19 It's back

spgreenfield

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 02:02:17 pm »
Jim - thanks for the reply.....the area that's shedding is nowhere near the surgical site...just on the numb AN side.  I'm going to cease using alcohol based hair products for a while and see if that helps.  Obviously that side since it has less/or no fluids (eye. nose, skin is dry) probably the scalp is suffering as well.  Now I guess I'm fortunate that my hairdresser decided to cut me very short...as any longer would put more strain on the strands as well as look even worse once growing back in.  So maybe I need a short style for a year or so?  My acupuncturist agreed that it may have something to do with the lower/lack of circulation on that side and will improve once things have healed better. 

This was a banner/bust week for me.....got a tear duct plug (yay) and new Rx for glasses (double yay) but was horribly dizzy all week long.  We've begun the tree blooming season here and I think I recall a string about allergies being much worse for someone after their AN - so I'm wondering if I'm "spacey AND dizzy" so it seems much worse....

Pam
Pam in South Dakota

Left suboccipital Surgery with Dr. Tew at Mayfield Clinic in Cincinnati on 1/10/12
Acupuncture helping face
Tear duct plug on 4/4/12

Jim Scott

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 02:14:10 pm »
Jim

Do people get hair loss with CK?  My hair dresser said I'd probably loss some hair so this weeks hair cut looks like a boot camp recruit.   ;D

Just curious.

Karen ~

The short answer to your question is 'yes'.  However, hair loss is not automatic.  When I was being set up for my 26 FSR treatments, the radiation oncologist commented that "you might lose some hair' (at the radiation site).  However, on the day my FSR treatments began, he told me that he had 're-calibrated' the 'dosage' (of radiation) and that I wouldn't lose any hair.  I didn't.  Still, FSR is a bit different than CK.  Although I received a total of 27 Gy radiation, it was spread out over 26 separate 'sessions'.

In any case, it's only hair and grows back in.  I wouldn't be too concerned about this.

Jim
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 02:16:13 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Jim Scott

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 02:23:45 pm »
Pam ~

The short haircut is probably a good idea for now.  So is avoiding alcohol-based hair products which, obviously, dry the hair.  As I told Karen, hair grows back (and your very short haircut won't necessarily be permanent).

For what its worth: my wife has had a very short haircut since we were married - and I still think she looks cute!  :)

Jim

chloes mema

• Life is a special occasion.
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 04:26:50 pm »
Thanks Jim.

After I posted I did a search on the net and found that yes it can happen.  Oh well, like you said it's only hair and it will grow back (hopefully).   ;)

Not that I have that much.  Mine, too, is thin, fine and I'm using shampoos to help thicken it up.

Pam - hope the change in shampoos and a good short cut help.  I kind of like mine now that I have it (REAL short cut).

Karen

Diagnosed October 2011
Oct '11-9 X 6 mm left ear
Mar '12 - 1.25cm
Tinnitus, imbalance, and mild dizziness (ditsy)
My AN = Annoying Nuisance
Jan'12 W&W
May'12 CK completed
Oct'12 hemifacial spasms
Dec'19 It's back

Mei Mei

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 09:30:18 pm »
My hair was falling out a few years before my AN and found out I had a low thyroid so am now on thyroid med.     This wouldn't explain the loss on AN side only.    I will ask someone on  my next visit next week and get back to you.
MM
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

Suu

• Better out than in.
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 01:53:27 am »
G'day Pam

Could you update us in a week or so and let us know if your change in routine has worked please?

Good luck!  :D

Suu xxoo
4cm Left side AN Translab August 18th 2010
Facial nerve not working
Nerve conduction Jan '11 Repeated 23rd May '11
SSD left side
5 ops in 6 weeks to fix CSF leaks
Tarsorrhaphy 9 Mar '11 Extended 26 Aug '13
Sling Thur 16 June '11
12/7 nerve graft 9 Feb '12

spgreenfield

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 10:17:17 am »
It's been almost 2 weeks since I changed some things.  And just to let you know I'm going to be double-checking my thyroid levels as well - I'm ON thyroid but a very low dose.  It's just that without moisture on the AN side of my head I'm seeing some things.  I've had to completely change my skin care regime as well - never had dry skin, now all of a sudden I DO!   

So I stopped using an aerosol, alcohol based product on my roots, and yesterday I THINK I saw a reduction in hair on my hands.  I've also become more gentle with how I wash and condition - but already using Nioxin, I'm doing what I need to be already.....  Maybe it's because it's spring and I'm molting somewhat, but gosh....palms COVERED in hair isn't normal!  But I can't say I've had brain surgery before either.

I've decided to use a vibrator on my face and scalp - had been using on my face, but added scalp recently.  It's a little painful in that when nerves awaken and heal, the first phase is pain....but I don't concentrate on those areas.  I am encouraged in that I'm getting a "tingling" feeling on my scalp when I do it - which means those surface nerves are healing....

Wish I had better news.....

Pam
Pam in South Dakota

Acupuncture helping face
Tear duct plug on 4/4/12

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 11:06:07 am »
Pam...the first thing I thought of when you mentioned hair loss was thyroid.  Maybe with all the trauma on that side of the head there may have triggered something because of your thyroid levels being off (more sensitive?) I'd be interested in hearing how this turns out! And yes, no more pulling hair! :)  Good luck!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

opp2

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2012, 11:32:13 am »
It is my understanding from hours of research and having lost tons of hair 3-4 months after my babies were born, and then again 3-4 months after my AN surgery, that it probably isn't the radiation or the anesthesia (for some of us) that makes the hair fall out, but the stress the body goes through during the surgeries or in my case, home births.
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

spgreenfield

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2012, 11:43:04 am »
Opp2 -

Sortof like how a transplanted plant will lose its leaves upon transplanting, but they grow back?  Sometimes known as "shock?"

Pam
Pam in South Dakota

Acupuncture helping face
Tear duct plug on 4/4/12

Suu

• Better out than in.
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2012, 05:18:32 am »
I love the part where you say your scalp is tingly now.

Keep on keeping on as it looks to be working.

Lovenhugs,
Suu xxoo
4cm Left side AN Translab August 18th 2010
Facial nerve not working
Nerve conduction Jan '11 Repeated 23rd May '11
SSD left side
5 ops in 6 weeks to fix CSF leaks
Tarsorrhaphy 9 Mar '11 Extended 26 Aug '13
Sling Thur 16 June '11
12/7 nerve graft 9 Feb '12