Author Topic: Support Group Starting  (Read 6189 times)

LisaP

Support Group Starting
« on: February 04, 2010, 05:31:00 pm »
Hi,

I just need some thoughts and prayers.  I am in the process of starting a new support group for the Western Massachusetts area.  I have filled out all of the required paper work from the National Council.  I was turned down by my employer who would not let me hold the group at my facility.  I have just finished filling out all of the required paperwork from my local library.  I plan on dropping off the application on Saturday, and if the board ok's the application, I hope to hold my first group in March!!!  According to the National Council there are 65 of us in this part of the state (where are they???), I am nervous, I hope that there is interest.  Anyways more to follow, I hope to hear next week some time on the approval.

Thanks for eveyones support in the past!!

LisaP ;D
LisaP
AN at 12mm by 7mm by 7mm,  shown no growth as of September 26, 2013, 5.5 years into this journey.  Next MRI 2015. Doctors: Mason and McKenna.  Continue to W&W

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Support Group Starting
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 06:59:21 pm »
Good luck with your group, Lisa.

I think it's great that you've agreed to take on this very important job.

While the Forum is wonderful, it's incredible to meet others with ANs and talk face to face. 

I hope you gets lots of participants.   ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Keri

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 11:26:30 pm »
Good for you! I hope it goes well; keep us posted.

I know Tim in Arkanas started a group. The people were spread out and he only had 1 the first meeting, but it has since grown. I hope it's a rewarding experience and group for you and all those AN'ers in Massachusetts.

Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Kaybo

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 11:51:42 am »
Good Luck, Lisa - what a wonderful thing to do!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 01:36:35 pm »
Lisa,
I was a co facilitator for our group here in Houston.  What wonderful people I have met!  Some of the spots we have held ours are:  the community room at one of the local banks, several libraries, a community room at a medical center, sometimes restaurants (small ones) have a banquet facility will let you use their if you purchase drink and snack setups or you can always have a luncheon type or brunch meeting with each guest paying for their own food.  We have had several guest speakers, which seems to bring more people.  Good luck..the people who help at the national level are great as are the many folks across the country who attend to meet and share with others.

Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Lynn Mc

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 08:42:55 am »
Hi Lisa,

I am ready to help any way I can.  Count me in!

Lynn
Translab 01/22/10.  12 x 11.7 x 8.2 mm.
Dr's McKenna/McCall at Mass Eye & Ear,
Dr. Barker at MGH. 
SSD - No other significant problems post surgery, just some minor inconveniences!  Yipee!!
BAHA implant 04/08/11 Dr. Merchant
BAHA Gotcha 07/25/11
"Life is Good"

LisaP

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 12:40:05 pm »
Hi,

Thanks for the responses, I dropped off the application on Saturday to our library and I am just waiting to hear if the board ok's the application.  I plan on the first meeting to be a meet and greet.  As far as interest, I am crossing my fingers and hoping for the best.

Lynn,  wow, how are you?  Glad to hear at least one person will be coming!!! 

I will let everyone know how I make out.

LisaP ;D
LisaP
AN at 12mm by 7mm by 7mm,  shown no growth as of September 26, 2013, 5.5 years into this journey.  Next MRI 2015. Doctors: Mason and McKenna.  Continue to W&W

sgerrard

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 02:07:27 pm »
Hi Lisa,

As a new co-leader myself, I have to wish you the best on your new adventure. DHM and I are now the new co-leaders of the Portland OR group.

Our group has been meeting in a conference room at Providence St. Vincent Hospital since 1993. It is a great place, because they have lots of parking, the room is quiet, we don't bother anyone and no one bothers us, and they have basic meeting things like tables and chairs and a TV and a white board and projectors if needed, etc. If the library doesn't pan out, you might check around with the hospitals in your area.

Don't worry if it starts off slow, it will build up as word gets out. Best wishes!

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

LisaP

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2010, 06:25:29 pm »
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the advise,  I'm still waiting to hear from the library.  If I don't hear by this Thursday, then I plan to call them on Friday.  I was thinking of calling the hospitals next.  I have not given up hope.  I just hope that once I have a place that there will be interest in this part of the state.  Unfortunately, when you live in Massachusetts, everything happens in Boston which is more than an hour from where I live and where I have to seek treatment.   Just have to wait and see what happens.

I just keep my fingers crossed. ::)

thanks

LisaP
LisaP

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2010, 07:40:36 pm »
Lisa, you KNOW I'm cheering you on and I KNOW you are going to do a FAB job!

:)

xo
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

LisaP

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2010, 05:46:48 pm »
Thanks Phyl,

Just waiting to hear from the library.  I spoke to Joanne and she stated that I should hear something on Monday.   Wish me luck and see you at the Brunch in April!!!

Steve,

You meet at St. Vincent,  I work at a place called Mt. St. Vincent Care Center, what are the chances right?  Don't forget I like the color Maroon!!

LisaP ;D
LisaP

LisaP

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2010, 07:33:05 pm »
Good News,

I received the approval from the Chicopee Library today to be able to use their facility to hold the first support group for my area.  So now the planning part starts, and I hope to hear from my fellow ANers from Western Massachusetts.

Wish me luck,

thanks

LisaP ;D
LisaP

LisaP

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2010, 06:10:28 pm »
Hi All,

Just an update, my group is now within 2 weeks, the 13th, there should be 8 of us.   I am excited and nervous, I am grateful that people responded.  Hope all goes well.  Wish me luck

LisaP
LisaP

sgerrard

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2010, 09:18:57 pm »
That's a perfect size to start with. Unless there are more. Or fewer.  ;D

You'll do great, I can tell.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2010, 11:50:02 pm »
Steve’s partner (in crime  ;) ) Chiming in here

If the library room does not fit try these:

1)
Small hospital -see if they have a meeting or boardroom
http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=eohhs2terminal&L=6&L0=Home&L1=Government&L2=Departments+and+Divisions&L3=Department+of+Public+Health&L4=Programs+and+Services+K+-+S&L5=Public+Health+Facilities&sid=Eeohhs2&b=terminalcontent&f=dph_hospitals_western_mass&csid=Eeohhs2

2)
Here is a list of hospitals and website links in your local
http://www.massmedboard.org/links/hospital_list.shtm

Try to recruit a co- eader as soon as you spot a good talker with leadership potential and a quirky but fun sense of humor  ;)… this way you can delegate some of the responsibilities. (Know if they show up at a meeting with knitting needles this is a good sign- especially if they knit hats.  ;D )

BTW Stevie  :-*- How is that next meeting plan coming along?  ;) ;D :D

Way to go for getting a new group up and running!!

DHM
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!