Author Topic: Causes of ANs - Wifi? Stress?  (Read 3352 times)

Elliott

Causes of ANs - Wifi? Stress?
« on: August 11, 2014, 03:51:08 pm »
Hello all
Now that I have this growth in my head I am thinking more about the environment I am living in.
In our country, New Zealand, there has been a lot of speculation about the connection between the modern electronic society we live in and brain tumours. Cellphones and wi-fi in particular. Personally, I rarely use a cell phone without hands free. But both my home and work place have wi-fi. Is this a concern???
I don't believe it was the cause of my tumour as I only sparingly used cell phones and had only just recently got wifi at home before the tumour was diagnosed, and only got wifi at work a few months ago.
If I was to speculate on a cause I would say stress. The 3 years leading up to my diagnosis was the most stressful time of my life. I am not entirely sure what depression feels like - but I must have been close (All good now though!). Wondering if many others out there had real stressful events occur in their lives in the years leading up to their diagnosis??
Elliott
2 cm AN.
Radiation via Linac machine. 25 x sessions, ending Jan 2014.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Causes of ANs - Wifi? Stress?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 04:12:50 pm »
Hi Elliott .....

There is a great deal of research going on related to the cause of acoustic neuromas.  According to the presenters at the last ANA Symposium a year ago, to date, the research shows no direct correlation between cell phone use and I would have to presume wi-fi, as well ..... since it is even farther removed from ones head.

So far, the only known cause for acoustic neuromas is large quantities of ionizing radiation.  BUT, there are many, many ANs that have formed with no known cause so that leaves open many other possibilities or just random growths.

That being said, it would serve us all well to live as healthy a lifestyle as possible, e.g. reduce stress, get plenty of sleep, eat good quality natural/organic foods, etc.  However, we do not live in a "bubble" so many environmental factors are out of our control.

Just remember none of us on this forum are researchers or trained medical professionals, so we are sharing our collective personal research.

Best wishes.  Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Jill Marie

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 09:22:01 pm »
Hi Elliott,  My tumor started affecting my hearing before I started school, there weren't any cellphones, no wifi and don't think I had any stress then.  Hopefully one day they figure out what causes them.  Jill :)
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

bethtretrault

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 04:47:19 pm »
Hi Elliott-I can definitely confirm that I had major stress n the 2 years before Dx. I wouldn't rule it out.
beth
12/2013 5mmx4mmx4mm left
tinnitus, w&w
5/2015 7mm-louder tinnitus, occasional dizziness
retro sigmoid 11/2015

Echo

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 06:43:22 pm »
I can't say that I had any more stress than usual prior to my diagnosis, but I can tell you that learning to manage my stress levels helped immensely with my symptoms once I had been diagnosed pre and post treatment.  Finally learning to manage my stress level was one of the positive outcomes of finding out I had an AN.  It certainly helped put things in perspective.

Cathie.
Diagnosed: June 2012, right side AN 1.8cm
June 2013: AN has grown to 2.4 cm.
Gamma Knife: Sept. 11, 2013 Toronto Western Hospital