Author Topic: What to expect during Pre-Op?  (Read 3184 times)

rvb755

What to expect during Pre-Op?
« on: August 17, 2011, 05:58:30 pm »
Hi everyone, I am flying out to California on Monday 8/22 and having surgery on Wednesay 8/24.  I will be having pre-op on Tuesday, the day before surgery.  I know I have a meeting scheduled with all 3 of my doctors and it sound like I will be having a physical and a chest x-ray as well.  Can any of the HEI alums fill me in on more details on what happens on pre-op day?  I'm not concerned about it - more curious than anything else.

My surgery day will be here very soon and I am ready to go.  I have 2 more days of work to finish up and then a camping trip with some friends this weekend, so the time will go fast.

Rick
3.2cm x 5.0cm x 3.3cm Left side AN
Translab with Dr. Friedman/Dr. Schwartz at HEI
on 8/24/2011
100% tumor removal, no facial nerve damage, SSD

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: What to expect during Pre-Op?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 08:22:04 pm »
Hi Rick .....

In addition to appointments with both Dr. Friedman and Dr. Schwartz, Dr. Stefan did the physical and spirometry (breathing test) and then I had a chest x-ray, blood work, an EKG, and an audiogram.  Think that was all.  You may have more or less than that, depending upon any other health issues you may have.

Thinking about you a great deal.  Just know everything will go well.

Many prayers.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

schmidtkat

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 08:25:07 pm »
Hi Rick,

I'm following your thread again. With my surgery 1 week after yours at the HEI I am eager to read the responses you receive.

While I obviously have this experience facing me, I will share with you a few tips I have been getting from previous AN surgery patients.

One of my new AN friends who went to the HEI said it's helpful to have your spouse or someone close to you go to as much of the pre-op stuff with you as possible as another set of ears to process the information and help ask questions during this time of high anxiety. I also was told that having someone take notes during any consultations with the Drs. pre-op, during updates of the surgery and post-op is really helpful to share with the patient at a later time when thinking is a bit more clear. I have my mother-in-law on stand by for this. She loves journaling and has pen/paper ready to go for me. She is pleased to have this responsibility. Not only does it make me feel better to know someone will help keep track of this, but it also gives her a sense of being able to help me with something when we all feel rather helpless in this situation.

One bit of advice I have been given for post-op is to take pjs/clothes that you do not have to pull over your head. Items that button or zip will be much easier than pulling things on/off over your head.

Another bit of advice I had, this too is a post-op, is to swallow the pride and get a wheelchair at the airport. With all the people, luggage, gates, etc...it is likely to be exhausting and if balance is any issue at all this may be a welcomed chariot.

Glad to read that you are taking some time for fun on the weekend. Enjoy! I am meeting with my Regional Director tomorrow for some handing-off of the baton. I hope to take most of next week off to get things ready at home and relax a bit before we fly out.

Wishing you all the best, and keeping you in my prayers.
Kathy

sterry

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 09:35:34 pm »
Go to lunch at the deli down the street from HEI, Landgers(I think that the spelling, but could be off).
Pretty much the day is spent signing paper work and meeting the doctors. Also had a hearing test, but I didn't have a chest X-ray , or at least do not remember   :D 
Get good directions to the clinic, it can be tricky, it is in a busy area. Also a parking garage @HEI, can't remember if it cost a couple of bucks?  All appt are right in the same building. :)
Best of everything to you, you are in great hands:)
Susie
Left AN 3.7 cm. 10-23-09 
HEI Dr. Friedman, Dr. Schwartz
Translab
Doing well

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 09:37:09 pm »
My pre-op day at House was very much as Clarice described. As I recall, the scheduling went smoothly and the doctors and other health personnel could not have been nicer or more efficient. The entire process was very comforting.

As far as getting a wheelchair at the airport, by all means do it if you need it .... but you might not need to! I was fine at LAX and the return flight home was totally routine. One thing we did was upgrade to first class for the return flight (it was long -- from LA to Newark-Liberty International in NJ), and that made things a lot more comfortable.

Best wishes to both of you, Rick and Kathy -- you've definitely done your homework and you'll be well prepared.

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

rvb755

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 02:33:51 pm »
Thanks for the info everyone.  All these little details really help me plan.  Kathy your advice about not using pull over type shirts is excellent.  I would never have thought of it before leaving, but the first time I tried to pull a shirt on I sure would have noticed it.  My wife will be with me for all the pre surgery meetings, so that will help us retain all the info.  My parents will also be out there for the day of surgery and the first week after surgery so I will have a couple more sets of alert ears to get the updates from docs on recovery and surgery updates.

Kathy, I will try and update as soon as possible after surgery to let you know how things go.  My wife will have the laptop with her so might be able to post updates.  I'll be thinking and praying for you as well.

Rick
on 8/24/2011

JAndrews

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 06:49:07 pm »
Most of the pre-op day is spent meeting all the docs and blood work, chest xray etc...nothing major. If you wear glasses bring an xtra pair (cheap pair) you have to be able to bend the arm of the frame to get it over the bandage on your head after surgery. Chapstick..my lips were really dry..all the time! safe shoes..your balance will be off for a little while. My eyes just couldn't focus on TV or computer for about 3-4 weeks post-op. I remember waking up with a really bad headache after surgery...the meds worked. I took pain meds about every 4 hours...by the time I left CA, I needed nothing, and have never had a headache since:) If you can afford it fly first class home. I felt so crammed in the seats...and all I wanted to do was sleep. You are going to want to sleep alot. Fatigue doesn't really describe it well enough...its more like feeling completely exhausted an hour after you just woke up from a 12 hour sleep. Be patient with yourself! No lifting for 4 weeks! You have chosen the best surgeons for this surgery.....you are going to be fine!!
Best wishes! and remember look for me in the book:)
2.5cm x2.0cm cerebellapontine angle meningioma. 100% removal 2/2009. House Ear Institute. Dr Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz. SSD right ear. No balance problems except when really tired, no headaches. Transear hearing aide made no difference, tried it for 4 months.

rvb755

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 07:53:23 pm »
Julie, thanks for the reply.  I never would have thought to bring my old glasses but that is really good advice.  I am going to bring my old pair even though they are pretty worn out - the arms are easy to bend.  I'll try and remember to look you up in the book when we get there.  I really hope my recovery is as smooth as yours.

Clarice thanks again for the thoughts and prayers - it means so much.

Rick
on 8/24/2011