Author Topic: Met with surgeon  (Read 2083 times)

heusch

Met with surgeon
« on: May 13, 2009, 03:07:56 pm »
Went to Miami today met with Dr. Telischi 3cm AN he is suggesting surgery my symptoms are balance ,some left side weakness tired. I want to thank all the people who emailed me.
Just stunned at this point he suggest it be done in next 6 months.
Seems like at this point I have no choice I am 67 years old waiting to talk to neuro  guy Telischi suggest do the operation behind the ear since the right side hearing is still pretty good.

Thanks Bob 

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
Re: Met with surgeon
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 04:59:01 pm »
Hi Bob,

I would say that 67 is no longer considered old, so I bet you will come through just fine.  My dad had open heart surgery in his 70s and came through just fine.

I don't know anything about Dr. Telischi, but as long as he has a lot of experience with AN's, you should be fine.  My surgery was done by Dr. Bartels in Tampa and I had a great outcome.  Of course, everyone's tumor is different, and as they say, your mileage may vary.

If you have any questions regarding Dr. Bartels, feel free to PM or email me.

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

Vivian B.

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 05:51:00 pm »
Hi Bob,

There is no such thing as age anymore. People of all ages are having all sorts of conditions and all sorts of treatment. You will do fine.
These surgeons know their stuff. Good luck!

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

Kathy M

• Kathy
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 06:20:57 pm »
Hi Bob,

I remember being so stunned when my doctor explained that surgery was my only real option, too!  My AN was the same size as yours (considered to be "large") and none of the neurosurgeons I consulted with suggested anything other than surgery.  The nasty devils can cause all kinds of other very ugly symptoms that you really don't want.   Surgery sounds very scary and overwhelming but it's a path that many many folks follow (I did too).  There's life on the other side of it..without the AN!

Good luck!!

Kathy
AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
no facial nerve or eye issues!
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 07:06:33 pm »
Hi Bob,
I agree with others that 67 is by no means old and that you will probably do great.  Sounds like you are in good hands also.
Best,
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 10:27:59 pm »
Bob -

wishing you the best and hoping everything turns out fine.  As others have said, your age shouldn't prove to be a factor.

I had the behind the ear approach (retrosigmoid) also.

Good luck and please, keep us posted.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 02:34:04 pm »
Bob:

Sorry you have an AN but although it's no walk in the park, removal surgery is not as bad as it first sounds.  I was 63 when I underwent surgery, then radiation.  I did fine.  I bet you will too.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009, 07:54:39 pm »
Went to Miami today met with Dr. Telischi 3cm AN he is suggesting surgery my symptoms are balance ,some left side weakness tired. I want to thank all the people who emailed me.
Just stunned at this point he suggest it be done in next 6 months.
Seems like at this point I have no choice I am 67 years old waiting to talk to neuro  guy Telischi suggest do the operation behind the ear since the right side hearing is still pretty good.

Thanks Bob 

Hi Bob,

Have you considered sending your MRI to House? They do free consultations.  I posted the info in another thread today. http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=9593.0

One of the people I know through the former listserv was 67 at the time of diagnosis (although a tumor smaller than 3 cm). This individual continues to wait and watch and is now six years past diagnosis without any growth.  The key of course is the tumor's location and the proximity to the brainstem

BTW, when I was at House there was a 64 year old woman having surgery. 
Kindest Regards,
Kate
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 08:13:46 pm by Kate B »
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/