Author Topic: Standup Paddleboarding as therapy  (Read 100800 times)

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: Standup Paddleboarding as therapy
« Reply #255 on: September 01, 2011, 08:04:38 pm »
Nice to hear you're biking. I still have a hard time on a bike. Not bad if I look straight ahead but if I look down at all it can get interesting..... ;D

CCBC was off the charts successful this year. We're going to be north of $130,000 raised when all the counting is done. A LOT more notice and PR this year. If you happen to see a copy of Standup Paddle Magazine on your newstand (Vol 3 No 3 with a mountain lake on the cover) check out page 100.... ;D
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

stoneaxe

• Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #256 on: June 20, 2012, 09:53:45 am »
Thought i'd give this post a bump. From the looks of some of the other posts it seems folks could use some encouragement.

Find something you love that challenges your balance and do it often. I think standup is so effective because of the broad flat horizon allows for better reference for the mind as it resets your balance to be more visual.

If anyone is interested in trying out standup give me a yell. If you're in the Boston area I can help directly. Maybe we can do a AN standup demo for a bunch of us. Elsewhere...I have lots of folks I know all over and may be able to hook you up. Best thing about standup is that while your learning falling doesn't hurt..... ;D
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.

Chances3

« Reply #257 on: June 20, 2012, 11:29:13 am »
Hi Bob,

I did a little ice skating in January.  It frightened me at first, but the workout, the leg strengthening and the cool crisp air did wonders to all the other horrible things going on between my ears.  Your outdoor activities are very encouraging.  I miss being on a boat, perhaps I need a little more time.

stoneaxe

• Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #258 on: June 21, 2012, 10:55:01 am »
You're braver than I was Chances. Ice skating was definitely not in the cards for me when I took up SUP and I used to be an avid skater. Friends and I would rent out the Boston University rink overnight and play hockey for hours and hours. I think my tailbone is thanking me for not skating... ;D. All good now though...i don't have the moves I used to have but skating is still a great way to get out and enjoy exercise.
I fell constantly when I first started paddling so it was nice to have a soft landing. Keep working at pushing your limits but try to be safe while doing it. A tough combination but possible with proper precautions.

Keri

« Reply #259 on: June 21, 2012, 09:32:01 pm »
So good to hear from you, Bob. Glad the paddleboarding is still going great!
I'm into trail running. It's funny, I can walk around slowly in my house, and stumble a bit like I'm tipsy, but stick me on a single track trail with roots and rocks and hills and... I love it!
Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

stoneaxe

• Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #260 on: July 02, 2012, 12:20:10 pm »
Speaking of kids loving SUP in an earlier post.

A couple weeks ago I took my two year old granddaughter out with me paddling along the shore of Plymouth beach. I've been planting the seed for awhile and she was really excited to get out with me. She's watched me paddle and surf many times but this was the 1st time on the board with me paddling. As we paddled down the shore she was yelling to everyone within earshot "I'M SURFIN" and waving to anyone that paid attention...just about the whole beach... ;D. The following weekend I was getting ready for a race, strapping boards onto my truck when she came out of the house with one of my paddles..."We goin surfin?" she asked... ;D ;D. This weekend we were in a friends surf shop getting a new bathing suit for my wife. Another customer asked my granddaughter if she liked going to the beach. Hands on hips as if to say of course she replied "I'm a surfer girl"..... ;D ;D ;D. The hook is set deep, I can't wait to get her a board!

BlueSky

« Reply #261 on: July 12, 2012, 07:31:05 pm »
As someone newly diagnosed and just starting my AN journey it is really encouraging to see people enjoying life after treatment, not only getting back to 'normal' but pushing further than they did even before the diagnosis/treatment. 

Super cool!

stoneaxe

• Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #262 on: July 13, 2012, 11:20:03 am »
Thanks Bluesky....I often think back to 2003/4 when this part of my journey started and how scared I was and of 2007 and of how frustrated and depressed I was. It seems truly amazing to now think that one of the best things that ever happened to me was a brain tumor. I hope everyone here finds their own path to better times and happiness.

stoneaxe

• Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #263 on: July 14, 2012, 11:06:09 pm »
Went for a nice paddle today with Sue.
https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=206592557295182951124.0004c4d71f59210913f12&msa=0
Surfing tomorrow. Hope these guys stay south.

It is what it is

« Reply #264 on: July 26, 2012, 08:31:14 pm »
Thanks for the posts on paddleboarding.  I tried it for the first time in the Cascade Mountain Lakes last weekend.  Very fun and a great therapy for balance!!!!! 

karen
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.

Keri

« Reply #265 on: August 15, 2012, 09:38:26 pm »
I do notice paddleboards almost every ocean side place I go (which is not a lot, but a couple of places this summer).
However, those posts about the sharks make me a bit more inclined to stick to trail running and biking!!
Glad you're still at it and that others are giving it a shot too.
Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

stoneaxe

• Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #266 on: August 17, 2012, 02:13:48 pm »
I've been having some headaches and a little dizziness lately....bothersome development. I'm hoping my head is clear for next Saturday's CCBC. That's a long way to feel wonky. It's the 5th Anniversary...any one interested in coming down for the awesome after party in Wellfleet you can register here.  http://capecodbaychallenge.memberlodge.com/
Great food, Wachusett Brews, Barefoot Wines, and a fun band all included and some great raffle/auction items.

I did a 25 mile charity paddle a few weeks ago and really struggled in the conditions that day (very bumpy from 10 different directions). We don't usually see that kind of confused waters for the CCBC since it's mostly open water not near shore with 100's of boats around but the additional 11 miles will take a toll too.

We have 80+ paddlers making the crossing this year...going to be fun....I hope...... ;)

Keri

« Reply #267 on: August 20, 2012, 06:13:28 pm »
Bob - hope you're doing okay. Keep us posted. Excited about your upcoming CCBC event. Hope the waters are just perfect!
Keri
My head feels weird!!

stoneaxe

• Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #268 on: August 28, 2012, 10:40:35 am »
Thanks Keri..

Thought you all might like to see what the day looked like. We had a helicopter with a photographer up to take aerial photos of the start. don't let the glassy waters fool you...this was the hardest one yet. Headwinds built throughout the day and we finished the last 8 miles (38 total) paddling into 10-15 mph headwinds and chop. 12 hours  from start to finish. I actually had to get in the boat for part of it when I started getting some serious pain in my left back/shoulder and couldn't keep up the minimum pace...that was a first for me. there's a picture on the last page of me with my daughter and grandaughter at the finish...she did it for the 1st time this year (daughter not granddaughter... ;D)
http://clairehassett.smugmug.com/StandUpPaddle-1/Cape-Cod-Bay-Challenge-2012/25001392_jVxs7S#!i=2048437498&k=tHbhqWM

and some from the support boats with some commentary.
http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=17312.0
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 10:53:48 am by stoneaxe »

It is what it is

« Reply #269 on: August 28, 2012, 10:58:25 am »
These pictures were fun to see.  It looked like a successful event.  I plan to paddle board in our mountain lakes as soon as I'm a bit more stable walking on uneven ground. 

Karen
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.