Author Topic: Little pains behind AN ear after radiation?  (Read 3159 times)

mindyandy

• Loving Life
Little pains behind AN ear after radiation?
« on: February 20, 2009, 02:38:49 pm »
I am 13 months post CK. Today I have small little pains behind the AN ear???? :o
Does or has anybody experienced this post CK? I just had MRI 2 months ago and it was slightly smaller so I dont think anything bad is going on....MAYBE MORE SHINKAGE???? I HOPE.
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Little pains behind AN ear after radiation?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 03:27:38 pm »
Hey Mindy,

raising my hand... even after almost 3 yrs since CK.... I'm actually beginning to work with my dr's about "funky" headaches..... sharp/stabbing pains (like icepick migraines... feels like steak knife jabs.....) to dull aches to shooting pains, etc.  They are not 100% attributing them to the CK treatment or my AN, but these things are some of the hiccups that may crop up, based on what I've heard and read. I will meet with the new headache team in a month (soonest they can get me in)... and have my back up brain surgeon taking ownership of this (since she works in conjunction with a major headache clinic here in Boston).

Yeah.. I get them.. very funky, can be unnerving, but no clear acknowledgement from my medical community that they are AN or CK related... could be... I'll flip a coin on it (remember, I have the Chiari as well... migraine city with that as well).  Care to flip the coin?

Hang in there.... I bet others will note it as well... and possibly try searching the "Headache" forum for other's inputs as well.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 02:25:07 pm »
Phyl,
Thank you for chiming in. It helps the know that others have felt the same. I have read Lorenzo had the same thing when his AN was shrinking back.
What bumps in the road did you run into lately?
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

windy

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 04:18:48 pm »
Mindy,

I have had "big pains" behind the ear since GK.  I finally went to the ER with mine after putting up with it for two months.  Mine are relieved completely by steroids, but I can't take them on a constant basis, of course.  The pains are located on my AN side behind my ear.  When it is at its worst, the pains go down into my neck and somehow seems to affect the right side of my throat.  Per my 6 months MRI, my tumor has not changed size.

I hope your pain passes with time.  I will tell you that I once consulted with a radiation oncologist on line and he said that head-aches and ear pain are common after radiation.  That at least gave me comfort knowing it was not out of the norm!

Windy
* Diagnosed w/AN (9mm x 11mm x 9mm) - 6-10-08
* GK @ UPMC w/Dr. Lunsford - 8-5-08
* Stable MRI - Aug. 2009
* 2 MM's Growth - Aug. 2010
* Lost 60% Hearing - Dec. 2010
* More Growth?? - Wait & Watch - Jan. 2012
* 1 MM Shrinkage - Aug. 2012
* 2 MM's Shrinkage - Aug. 2013
* Slight Shrinkage - Aug. 2014

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 04:40:48 pm »
Windy,
Thank you so much. It does make me feel alot better. I dont need sterioids. It isnt uncomfortable just noticable. I dont feel it so much anymore. Oh, the emotional waiting game...the tweaks and twinges we feel.... ;)

sher

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 07:17:51 pm »
Hi Mindy,

I too have those sharp pangs behind my an ear. 5 months post CK. I have had them since month 2. They are not bad enough to do sterioids. But am glad to hear I am not the only one. Everyday is different in this patience building proces.. Itn't it fun???????
hang in!!!
Sher
1.2cm x 0.6 cm extracanicular component (7 mm) 05/08/08
MRI in AUG 08  showed 30 % growth
Having CK 9/30, 10/1 and 10/2/08
1/12/08 MRI shows swelling

mk

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 08:10:10 am »
Yeah, I get these too, occasionally. They seem to be located superficially, right on the bone behind the ear,  sharp and instantaneous, rather than inside the head. They go away with ibuprophen. They are only on the AN side, so I am sure it is AN related somehow, but I can't figure it out. One of these odd things ...

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 12:47:28 pm »
Phyl,
Thank you for chiming in. It helps the know that others have felt the same. I have read Lorenzo had the same thing when his AN was shrinking back.
What bumps in the road did you run into lately?

Hey Mindy,

the recent hiccups are not being 100% attributed to the CK but not 100% ruled out... as you know, I have too many ailments to count or list (oh, yay me......)... but as for the headaches and little pains you are noting, they are sporatic, yet, for me, a bit more frequent.  Again, don't go by what I am saying as I meet with the headache clinic in April (appt got moved to better dr but in April instead).... I want to hear what they say to see if they do attribute any of it to the AN/CK but based on what 2 other docs recently noted to me... they do not believe fully that my headache issues and head pangs may be related to it.... sit tight and as I learn more... I'll share.

hang in there!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 11:43:46 pm »
Just saw this post..raising my hand too. I get the icepick through the brain every once in awhile. Seems like when I get them they come in spurts. I might not have one for a week or two and then I'll have 5-6 in a few minutes....they only last for seconds....usually I'll have more that same day. No rhyme or reason as to when or why. Sometimes I'll have them everyday off and on for a week.
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

goinbatty

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2009, 07:09:05 pm »
I didn't experience headaches to that degree.  Nothing Ibuprofen couldn't help.  My heart goes out to you all.
Sandra
1/2007 - 6 x 4.5 mm AN
8/2007 - 9 x 6 mm
CK at Georgetown 1/7/08-1/11/08; Dr. Gagnon
3/2008 - 10 x 7 mm
7/2008 - 9 x 10 x 6 mm (NECROTIC CENTER!!!!!)
5/2009 - no change/stable
4/2010 - 10 x 7 x 6 mm; stable/no change
5/2011 - 10 x 7; stable/no change
6/2012 - 8.1 x 7 mm
4/2014 - stable/no change