Author Topic: increased problems 16 months post op  (Read 3473 times)

rntiggergirl

increased problems 16 months post op
« on: April 13, 2005, 08:32:12 pm »
Hi everyone-
I had middle fossa surgery 16 months ago (12/03) at House Ear. 3 weeks ago I had a bad headache w/ pressure behind my affected eye that lasted about a week, now for the last week have had deterioration of my balance, significant dizziness, and I am lossing the function in the Left side of my face (affected side) that I had gained back a year ago. I am scheduled for a repeat MRI 4/22. Has anyone ever had this happen or something similar. It has been very hard to work or to focus on any task. My vision is bad again.

Cheryl
 ???

Russ

Re: increased problems 16 months post op
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2005, 02:32:07 pm »
Hi Cheryl
  April 22nd... That's today. I hope you post the results of the MRI. If no regrowth, you may have gained a migraine syndrome.
  Best wishes to you!
  Russ

rntiggergirl

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2005, 10:18:17 am »
Hi-
Just an update. I had my MRI and it was normal!!  My doctor feels some of my problems are related to the re-growth of balance nerve fibers in my surgical ear (I had a mid fossa and one of my balance nerves was not cut). I had this problem 6 months after surgery and my affected ear was injected with Gentamycin to kill off the nerve fibers and it worked well (I have already lost my hearing in that side so I had nothing to lose). Well last Friday I had my ear injected with Gentamycin again and it made me worse (this is the same thing that happened the first time, made me worse then slowly improved as I adjusted/adapted). So I am hopeful that this will fix it again. However I am looking for a longer term solution, I can do this over and over again, it is to disruptive. Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a permenent solution? I will discuss this with my dr when I return in a month.
Cheryl

Russ

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2005, 12:47:20 pm »
Hi Cheryl
  Just a thought...
  Maybe see a neurologist before the inner ear is destroyed with repeat gentamycin injections, you may have developed MAV, Migraine Associated Vertigo.
  Seems a worsening of symptoms post TX is not a good indicator Dr is moving the right direction. Gentamycin will destroy the inner ear's balance function and give your hearing a 'hit' also.
  Best wishes in this!   -Russ

rntiggergirl

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2005, 02:44:20 pm »
Hi-
Well I had my second Gentamycin injection last Friday, which again set me back. If this does not work then we will be looking to a surgical approach. I discussed it in depth with my neuro-otologist and this is the plan of action. I am hoping for the best, but I just know I need to do something soon, I am not able to work at this point and I do not want to lose my job.  I really enjoy what I do, the people I work with and it is 10 minutes away from my home. 

Cheryl