Author Topic: Individual insurance advice  (Read 9601 times)

MNTim

Individual insurance advice
« on: March 21, 2011, 11:57:03 am »
I am currently on COBRA and my current employer does not provide medical insurance (commissioned sales).  My plan is to stay in the independent rep field so I need to figure out how to cover myself when COBRA expires.  Has anyone had to find individual insurance while dealing with a pre-existing condition?  I have several months but want to be pro-active.

Tim
8/31/09 hydrocephulus-emergent drain
9/2/09 5 cm AN debulked, Retro Sig Abbott NW
5/18/10 Second debulk, Retro Sig Abbott NW
1/31/11 Translab, 7/12 Graft Mayo Rochester, MN
2/12/11 Lumbar drain
3/14/11 Eustacian tube packing procedure for CSF leak
2/28/13 Platinum weight & Tarsorrhaphy

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Individual insurance advice
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 10:31:17 pm »
Tim -

portability is a big thing in insurance coverage today, so as long as you don't have a lapse between your current COBRA coverage and whatever plan you decide to pick up you shouldn't have any issues getting your pre-existing conditions covered.

That said, from my experience, the main thing you want to investigate is whether there's a waiting period when it comes to covering pre-existing conditions.  Most insurance policies have a waiting period (time varies) so definitely ask about it before you sign onto any plan.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

MNTim

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 11:42:29 am »
Thanks Jan.

My issue is that I am searching for a policy outside of a group.  Most companies that I have talked to don't offer much hope on covering the pre-existing.

Tim
2/12/11 Lumbar drain

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 07:52:22 am »
Tim -

I may be wrong on this, since I try to stay away from all topics that involve Obama, but I thought healthcare reform eliminated the way insurance companies were able to deny coverage of pre-existing conditions.

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 12:34:57 pm »
Jan/Tim ~

In MN, on individual insurance plans, the state legal maximum 'pre-existing condition' exclusion is 18 months.  Under the 'Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act' ('ObamaCare') all new policies nationwide in the individual health insurance market will be 'guaranteed issue' (no pre-existing condition exclusions) by 2014. 

(This is for informational purposes, only.  Don't get me started on 'Obamacare'!)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2011, 12:56:45 pm »
Thanks, Jim.

Sounds like Tim won't get relief from the law until 2014  :(

And, no, please don't get started on Obamacare again.

Jan

mandy721

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2011, 10:34:08 pm »
Hi,
This article in The New York Times might have some useful information -http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/19/health/19patient.html?scp=1&sq=preexisting%20conditio%20ns&st=cse

March 18, 2011
Pre-existing Condition? Now, a Health Policy May Not Be Impossible
By WALECIA KONRAD
SIX years ago, Jerry Garner, 45, a real estate agent in Gowen, Mich., underwent a kidney transplant. He recovered nicely, and thanks to diligent adherence to his drug regimen and frequent checkups, he has been healthy ever since — “a miracle,” said his wife, Stephanie.

But last year, the Garners were starting to believe that their good fortune had run out.

Mr. Garner’s insurer asked that he fill out a survey, but somehow this piece of mail slipped through the cracks at the Garner household. As a result, he lost his health insurance. (Ms. Garner, 44, and three of the children — their oldest child is grown — were covered under a different policy.) But because of his pre-existing condition, Mr. Garner proved impossible to insure.

Transplant recipients must take expensive immunosuppressant medications. Without them, the new kidney will not survive. The couple paid Mr. Garner’s $2,000 monthly drug bill out of pocket and prayed nothing went wrong. Some months they had to choose between the medication and the mortgage.

Finally, after weeks of searching the Internet, making phone calls and praying, Ms. Garner saw a television ad for Michigan’s new pre-existing condition insurance plan. P.C.I.P.’s, as they are known, are state and federal programs for people previously deemed uninsurable because of pre-existing conditions. They offer a bridge to 2014, when the new health insurance exchanges, which must accept all comers, are to open.

Mr. Garner applied to Michigan’s plan and was accepted. Now he pays less in premiums than he did under his previous plan, and he receives more comprehensive coverage.

“It was definitely an answered prayer,” said Ms. Garner. “Two thousand dollars when you’re already struggling is just impossible.”

Plenty of people with pre-existing conditions like Mr. Garner are struggling to find affordable insurance. These plans offer a real alternative, but consumers are only now becoming aware of them. Plus, there are some tough restrictions. Here is what you need to know:

FINDING A PLAN Pre-existing condition insurance plans, required by the new health care law, opened for business in July. The new plans come in two flavors: 27 states run their own plans with federal money, while the rest rely on the federal Department of Health and Human Services to administer the plans within their borders.

The new plans did not replace state high-risk pools, which have long offered insurance to people with pre-existing conditions. But the premiums in the new plans are generally much lower. That is why experts had worried that the new plans could be overwhelmed by a deluge of desperate applicants.

In fact, the P.C.I.P.’s got off to a slow start, and many consumers still have no idea they exist. In January, premiums in the federally run plans were reduced nearly 20 percent. Since then, enrollment in all of the new plans has increased 50 percent to 12,000 members.

To find a plan in your state, start with the federal government’s Web site, PCIP.gov, which offers lots of application information and details about each of the state plans the department administers. An interactive map at www.pcip.gov/StatePlans.html links to each federal- and state-run plan.

Next, you will need to compare the plan offerings in your state. Federally run P.C.I.P.’s offer three options: standard coverage; extended coverage, with a lower deductible and higher premiums; and an option that combines a high deductible with a health savings account. For a side-by-side comparison of the three choices, click on bit.ly/gs3z9i. Premiums for all three options are also listed online.

State plans that are not administered by the federal government may also offer more than one option. The details can be found at the interactive state map mentioned above.

People without access to the Internet can call the Department of Health and Human Services at 866-717-5826 to find out which plans are available in their states.

ELIGIBILITY RESTRICTIONS The plans were not intended to solve the health insurance mess. They were intended as a temporary Band-aid, and they have some frustrating limitations.

You must be uninsured for at least six months to be eligible for a plan. That means people already enrolled in state high-risk pools or private insurance cannot apply, even if the new plans would be far less expensive. Unemployed people who are on Cobra or whose benefits have only recently expired are also not eligible.

Plans run by the federal government and those administered by individual states have slightly different application procedures.

To qualify for a federally run plan, you will need proof that you have applied for individual insurance and that a carrier denied you coverage because of a pre-existing condition, or proof that a carrier approved coverage but with a rider that excluded payment for your pre-existing condition. (Do not buy a policy with such a rider, as you will no longer be eligible for a P.C.I.P.)

An uninsured patient may have to apply for insurance simply to get proof of denial to enroll in a plan. Proof may take the form of a denial letter.

State-run plans may have less stringent eligibility requirements. Some require proof of denial, but in others people with certain pre-existing conditions, like diabetes or asthma, qualify for coverage more or less automatically. Those people need only obtain a letter from their doctors or other health care providers confirming that they have one of the conditions recognized by the plan.

Patients who live in Vermont and Massachusetts can qualify for those state plans if they can show proof that the premiums they have been offered by a private insurer in the individual market are at least twice as high as the P.C.I.P. premium. But they cannot be enrolled in those plans.

If you are newly uninsured, have a pre-existing condition and are shopping for private insurance in the individual market, keep a record of any denials you may receive. If you do not find insurance on your own and you live in a state that requires denial confirmation, you will have the documentation you need.

THE RIGHT COVERAGE The federal government set aside $5 billion to subsidize the new plans. Even with the subsidies, an individual premium in the federally run standard plan for a 50-year-old can range from $320 to $570.

State-run plans determine their own premiums based on what the private insurance market charges insurable members. In Connecticut, for example, monthly premiums for the plan can be as much as $890.

Review your coverage options carefully. In the plans sponsored by the federal government, all three options cover 100 percent of preventive care, like annual physicals and screenings. All charge a 20 percent co-pay (40 percent for out-of-network providers) for other care, with a $5,950 out-of-pocket annual maximum for in-network care ($7,000 for out of network).

The difference is in the deductible. The standard plan has a $2,000 deductible for in-network care ($3,000 for out of network), compared to the extended plan’s $1,000 and $1,500 deductibles.

In Massachusetts, for example, standard plan premiums for people ages 35 to 44 are $324 a month, compared to $438 a month for the extended plan. If you can afford the higher out-of-pocket costs, it may make sense to opt for lower premiums.

Husband diagnosed 5/30/09 with 3.2cm right AN
Surgery at  Columbia Presbyterian 8/4/09
Platinum eye weight implant - 8/17/09
17 days in hospital and rehab
SSD, facial weakness, some tinnitus, headaches , balance and eye problems

Jim Scott

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 01:52:39 pm »
Miranda ~

Good find!  Thanks for posting it.  This should prove to be quite helpful to Tim - and any others in his situation.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

MNTim

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2011, 09:06:43 pm »
Mandy,

Thank you for the article.

Tim
2/12/11 Lumbar drain

PaulaT

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2011, 08:32:18 am »
I haven't heard of the pre-existing condition insurance plan. I still wouldn't hurt to shop around and get some health insurance quotes. I've heard of some people with pre-existing conditions being approved but having a ryder to the plan.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 02:51:04 pm by PaulaT »

jodoh

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2011, 04:32:13 pm »
My state, Illinois, has an insurance plan for people who cannot obtain insurance because of preexisting conditions. Well, they had this kind of insurance about 3-4 years ago when I was self-employed. It was expensive, but I used it then. I don't know if they still have it, though.

Jim Scott

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2011, 02:23:53 pm »
Tim ~

If you're still seeking an individual health insurance policy and are concerned about exclusions for pre-existing conditions, this link may be informative: http://www.health.state.mn.us/hmo/hipaa.htm.  I realize it may be too late and you are already insured, but because the thread was just reactivated, I wanted to offer the link.

Jim

MNTim

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2011, 05:33:33 pm »

After researching more on this topic I found that MN has a state sponsored plan that will insure un-insureable individuals.  I spoke with an agent who provided details and confirmed that I would qualify.  The rates are actually very comparable to other individual plans.  MN is pretty good at taking care of it's citizens (high taxes) so I don't know how many other states have similar programs but it is worth checking out if you are in the same situation.

Tim
2/12/11 Lumbar drain

luvzmutt

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2011, 12:21:45 pm »
I'm enrolled in what I believe is a similar plan here in Maryland.  My job does not offer health insurance and my husband's company ended their group insurance last October.  Considering my pre-existing conditions (AN and NF-1), I panicked.  I learned about MHIP (Maryland Health Insurance Plan) that is offered to those without the option of a group.  The rates are about the same as we paid in my husbands group, even with a $2,000.00 a year family deductible.
Right side AN diagnosed 7/10 - 6.1 mm x 7.8 mm
1st follow-up MRI 1/10/11 - 0.9 x 0.3 x 0.4 cm
2nd follow-up MRI 7/11/11 - 1.0 x 0.7 x 0.6 cm
Follow-Up 12/20/11 - no noticeable change
MRI 11/26/12 - .5x1.0x.6 cm
MRI 10//21/13 - 0.8 x 1.0 x 0.7
Some hearing loss AN side and tinnitus
NF1 & optic glioma