Author Topic: Standup Paddleboarding as therapy  (Read 100157 times)

sgerrard

Re: Standup Paddleboarding as therapy
« Reply #90 on: February 22, 2009, 01:55:05 am »
Awesome! One, Two, Infinity! It used to be we had one nutty guy who like Standup Paddelboard; now it is club!

It looks beautiful, too. I am jealous of the weather. I like the red hair in the little pic too.  ;)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

cindyj

« Reply #91 on: February 22, 2009, 09:07:02 am »
Well, alright!  How great that you got to do this before your surgery...and you look like a natural at it!  You & Stoneaxe must meet up on the ocean somewhere in the middle...below Africa, perhaps?  I'll need to consult my globe...

Thanks for sharing and we'll be looking for post-op paddling pics before too long!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

joebloggs

« Reply #92 on: February 22, 2009, 05:18:18 pm »
Steve: It certainly is a club... Cindy just has to get her hubby into it and there'll be three of us!  I've just started knitting following your lead so I'll have something to do while  I'm initially chilling out post-op... I've made a hat and a scarf.  I'll send them back to my friends in the UK who need them a lot more than me!

Cindy: I'm really lucky hey... I'm glad I got to have a go pre-op - I can see how easy it is... otherwise I might have been a bit scared post-op.  I've put a video up on the acoustic neuroma/vestibular schwannoma group on facebook if you want to see the live action version and see how easy it was!  Hope you get to have a go too!
Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #93 on: February 25, 2009, 11:13:30 am »
Awesome, Awesome, Awesome.... ;D...welcome to the club! You'll be surfing before you know it.....then you'll have a hard time thinking about anything else..  ;)

There is a great forum on Standup in Australia...you might find some other folks to join up with to paddle. I'm on there as Stoneaxe as well.
http://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/forum.asp?forum_id=41

An online buddy of mine is particularly active on there. He's in Victoria though. Here's a recent night paddle on the Yarra River
http://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=48010

Another great forum for Standup...the biggest...is Standupzone. You'll find i spend way too much time on there... ;D It's a great place for all kinds of info and sharing stories.
http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php

Again...welcome to the club...have fun. If you do find your balance giving you problems the best thing I've found to do is to get out for a couple hours in mildly choppy water. Keep your eyes along the horizon. If you can do that a few times a week it makes a world of difference.

I didn't realize there was a facebook group...I'll have to check that out...Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 11:29:29 am by stoneaxe »
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #94 on: February 25, 2009, 11:51:50 am »
Beautiful pictures, Joe  ;D

Thanks for sharing them.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

joebloggs

« Reply #95 on: March 07, 2009, 06:16:49 am »
Went paddling again yesterday at 7am... it sure was chilly!  Now have flown to Melbourne today in readiness for my surgery on Wednesday.  I'm going paddling at St Kilda Beach tomorrow morning... will post pics tomorrow hopefully!!

We need some more members of the paddling club!
Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!

stoneaxe

• Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #96 on: March 13, 2009, 11:53:10 pm »
Back from vacation on Maui...what a blast! Lots of paddling... ;D Everyday for 5-6 hours anyway. You'll find some of the exploits here...more to follow. http://newenglandsup.wordpress.com/

Joe...hope you had a good paddle at St. Kilda, and most especially hope the surgery went very well. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #97 on: March 14, 2009, 11:34:15 am »
You're breakin' my heart, Stone.
Nancy
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #98 on: March 15, 2009, 09:07:35 am »
I used to canoe with my youngest son until he outgrew me ... :'(

I get nauseated looking at water ripple ... I would like a canoe and to hit the river again
but no one wants to go with me ... I guess with cell phone in hand I could give it a go , but
really would prefer not to be alone on the river...standing up on a board is a long way off...
makes me dizzy looking at the pictures...

I am going to have to go to the library to look at the videos ..slow dial up isn't working ...after about
10 minutes and it still not loaded I gave up...

3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

Soundy

« Reply #99 on: March 15, 2009, 09:12:50 am »
Balance is my issue. You give me hope. However, I am deathly afraid of water and don't know how to swim. LOL! Maybe something on land? (I'm 63, but in my head I'm 20)

My doctor gave me this link ... there is a dealer about 30 minutes away and I am seriously thinking about
checking this out ... I also saw it demonstrated on an infomercial and it looks like it would be fun... not
paddling but would get anyone using it out and moving

www.trikke.com
Translab July 2 ,2007

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #100 on: March 15, 2009, 12:19:18 pm »
Nancy

I'm right there with you Nancy  :(

Cool website, Soundy  8)   If you do check out the dealer, let us know how it goes.  This stuff looks very interesting!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

NancyMc

« Reply #101 on: March 15, 2009, 12:32:12 pm »
Have I missed an update from Down Under, JoeBloggs?

stoneaxe

• Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #102 on: March 15, 2009, 11:43:44 pm »
Nancy

I know its a tough job but someone has to do it.... ;D

Actually came home and couldn't paddle for a couple of days....my shoulders and arms had a chance to stiffen up on the plane ride home and needed a couple days rest. Finally went out yesterday for a beautiful flatwater paddle. No wetsuit, a fleece, jeans, and just wore my wetsuit boots since the water was like glass. Crystal clear this time of year too...could see to the bottom in 20 ft of water. Just me, the fish and a few birds.

I'm wondering how Joe's surgery went too....smoothly I hope.

That trikke looks interesting Soundy. Like you said...anything that can get you out and moving. When I 1st started getting on the standup board I fell every 30 seconds I was like that for a week. It took me 3 months before I went out on flat water without falling. Its all about pushing yourself.

NancyMc

« Reply #103 on: March 16, 2009, 05:21:47 am »
Stop it, Stoneaxe!
a beautiful flatwater paddle. No wetsuit, a fleece, jeans, and just wore my wetsuit boots since the water was like glass. Crystal clear this time of year too...could see to the bottom in 20 ft of water. Just me, the fish and a few birds.
You're killin' me!  We've still got three feet of snow on the lake up here!
A thought . . . I'll be right there, just let me get my wetsuit out of storage.
Nancy

Soundy

« Reply #104 on: March 16, 2009, 11:24:40 pm »
I am going to try to go look at the trikkes next week...tied up here this week with a ceiling
that has got ot be finished and science fair for two days ... it looked like fun and easy on TV ...
I am wondering about the real life demo ... I can't stay up on my bike ...maybe  I could on a trikke

Translab July 2 ,2007