Author Topic: Standup Paddleboarding as therapy  (Read 100166 times)

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
Re: Standup Paddleboarding as therapy
« Reply #75 on: February 14, 2009, 04:14:34 pm »
I see there are other rowers in our midst.  I took up rowing when my daughter was a competitive rower on the Charles in Boston and as prescribed by my rheumatologist as a low impact exercise for my rheumatoid arthritis.  I got so hooked that my daughter and I started teaching rowing in the Lakes Region of NH during our summer vacations.  My instructor on the Charles asked me one day as I wobbled down the floating dock, explaining that I had a tumor that compromised my balance, "You chose this sport when you have balance problems?"
I walk by my rowing shells every day dreaming of this summer when I will be out there on the lake post-op.  Here's hoping . . .
Nancy
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #76 on: February 14, 2009, 06:26:24 pm »
I wish we had some Hawaii weather too Joef...I'm going to be paddling everyday between now and when we leave to get ready for the race. ....nothing worse than putting on a damp wetsuit.

Nancy...not sure if you saw the previous post...I grew up on the Charles...used to watch the rowers all the time and think how cool they looked....so sleek and fast. I need to try it one of these days.
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

nteeman

• Back to Mono
« Reply #77 on: February 14, 2009, 06:54:27 pm »
I see there are other rowers in our midst.  I took up rowing when my daughter was a competitive rower on the Charles in Boston and as prescribed by my rheumatologist as a low impact exercise for my rheumatoid arthritis.  I got so hooked that my daughter and I started teaching rowing in the Lakes Region of NH during our summer vacations.  My instructor on the Charles asked me one day as I wobbled down the floating dock, explaining that I had a tumor that compromised my balance, "You chose this sport when you have balance problems?"
I walk by my rowing shells every day dreaming of this summer when I will be out there on the lake post-op.  Here's hoping . . .
Nancy

I am not a 'real' rower, I have a Concept 2 rowing machine and have been rowing on that since 2001 and have logged over 11 million meters and still going. I rowed up to the day before my surgery, as my doctor recommended, and consider it a factor in my positive recovery results. The doctor gave me the OK to begin to row again last Monday (Feb 9th) and I did an easy 1/2 hour row. The next two days I was exhausted so I decided to wait until I recover a little more before I begin again.  I usually do 30 minutes a day at a modest pace then 2 days a week I push myself to a higher level ( I use a heartrate monitor).  I can't stand that I have been missing all these days rowing but I know I will be back doing it again soon enough.

Cheers,
Neal
Diagnosed 12/16/2008
AN 2.4 X 2.0 X 1.6 CM
surgery performed on 1/27/2009 Mt. Sinai Hospital, NYC
Dr.Bederson & Dr. Smouha
9:30am thru 5:50pm
http://www.facebook.com/neal.teeman

sgerrard

« Reply #78 on: February 14, 2009, 10:11:33 pm »
My instructor on the Charles asked me one day as I wobbled down the floating dock, explaining that I had a tumor that compromised my balance, "You chose this sport when you have balance problems?"

Makes sense to me to take on a balance challenge if you have a balance problem. What did he think, that taking up knitting would have helped?  :D

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

NancyMc

« Reply #79 on: February 15, 2009, 09:45:24 am »
Well, knitting certainly helped you, Steve!  All the ladies covet that blue hat of yours.
And Stoneaxe and Neal, you better come up for a rowing lesson this summer on beautiful Squam Lake . . . nothing like rowing on that "dirty water" that we all "love" in Boston . . . fell in once and had to throw away the rowing togs.  No sir, we've got loons and bald eagles and crystal clear waters, just watch out for those rocks!
Neal, Glad you mentioned the erg.  I have one down there collecting dust . . .  gave it a go the other day but I believe I will get back on it and make it part of the next eleven days pre-op along with Jan's balance exercises.  Never too late to get in shape!
Thanks for the heads up!
Nancy

cindyj

« Reply #80 on: February 15, 2009, 11:37:40 am »
Hey, Nancy!  So glad to hear that you're a rower - I start my lessons the end of March.  I've been wondering how I'm going to get in the boat (do you call it a shell?) without tipping it over w/ my wonky-headedness, but I'm very excited about learning how to do it.  I may contact you for some pointers!

I'm sure you'll be back on the water by Summer!  I'm about 3 mos post-op and am doing very well.  Good luck and keep us posted on how things go with your surgery.

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

sgerrard

« Reply #81 on: February 15, 2009, 12:33:02 pm »
you better come up for a rowing lesson this summer on beautiful Squam Lake . . .

I can't believe you said Squam Lake! When I was a kid our family drove from St. Louis to the East coast to visit relatives, and one stop was at Squam Lake in New Hampshire to visit the Butterworths. They were a family my mother had stayed with when she was sixteen and was shipped over to the USA from England during World War II. "Uncle Paul" took me out in a row boat and I caught a perch as big as my hand. We also hiked up some hill and I lost my shoe and was carried back down piggy back. And I remember the loons, too. What a beautiful place.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #82 on: February 15, 2009, 12:36:13 pm »
Well, knitting certainly helped you, Steve!  All the ladies covet that blue hat of yours.

I know I do  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

NancyMc

« Reply #83 on: February 15, 2009, 01:48:25 pm »
Steve,
That's the lake near and dear to my heart.  On Golden Pond was filmed here.  The Butterworths are an old time family here.  I helped out with conservation of some of their land over on Rattlesnake Cove.  Did you go off jumping rock?  And I'm sure it was Rattlesnake Mtn that you visited.  My son works summers on outdoor crew at Rockywold Deephaven Camps at the base of the mountain, a rustic family camp where they have ice boxes that use the ice harvested from the lake and stored in sawdust in the ice house.  Mac delivers firewood and ice blocks by wheelbarrow to the cabins.  He hikes up Rattlesnake at sunset, wearing his kilt, and plays his Highland bagpipes to the boaters below.  Come back for a visit some time.
Nancy

NancyMc

« Reply #84 on: February 16, 2009, 07:40:46 am »
Cindy,
I'll be very jealous of your rowing (yes, shell, the oars are called sculls, and the combination is called sculling as compared to sweep rowing where there is usually a coxswain and each rower has only one oar) in late March.  But please share your experiences, as I believe it will motivate me to make it through recovery.  I am having mixed feelings in these last days before surgery.  A very small part of me is in denial and believes I will come out in pretty good shape, just having to watch my step and have something or someone to hold on to when on uneven terrain.  Most of me believes I will encounter all of the difficulties described in these pages and, living in a remote location (my dog is out there having a noisy conversation with a pack of coyotes at this very moment), will have to be driven for hours to reach adequate care.  My surgeons have not described any of the possible issues before me except meningitis, requiring a pneumonia vaccination at some point in the past, and ladders no longer in my future.  I'm really glad that I am aware of so many possible and likely outcomes so that I won't ignore them or expect them to disappear immediately.
Two rules . . . don't let go of your oars, ever, and don't let your hands/grips get behind your waist.  Sit up tall, keep your back straight, use your legs, keep your hands dry, bring bandaids.  Enjoy!  Keep me posted, send pictures.
Nancy

stoneaxe

• Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #85 on: February 16, 2009, 10:42:14 am »
Steve,
Mac delivers firewood and ice blocks by wheelbarrow to the cabins.  He hikes up Rattlesnake at sunset, wearing his kilt, and plays his Highland bagpipes to the boaters below. 

That sounds like a place I need to experience.

I remember taking sailing lessons at community boating on the Charles when I was a kid...if you fell in you had go get a tetanus shot. Great that it has been cleaned up so much since then...still a ways to go but much better.

My advice Nancy if you do end up having problems is to work harder than you thought possible challenging your balance. Doing it in a way that if you do fall you won't get hurt will help your confidence and allow you to push hard. There is no question in my mind that the biggest problem is sitting around and doing nothing. The folks that suffer the worst from this are those that let it beat them. I still have days or moments when it takes control and I struggle but for the most part...life is normal. Even ladders are possible on a good day... ;)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 10:58:27 am by stoneaxe »
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.

stoneaxe

• Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #86 on: February 16, 2009, 10:55:50 am »
And you folks think I'm a little crazy... ;D

Standup Paddlesurfing in Montreal.....watch out for the giant fast moving icebergs.

http://2imagine.net/blogger2009/icesurf3.html

NancyMc

« Reply #87 on: February 16, 2009, 12:15:47 pm »
Those Canucks! 
Thanks, Stoneaxe.  I'm not one to sit around, more likely to overdo and fall and knock meself out!

cindyj

« Reply #88 on: February 17, 2009, 08:56:25 am »
Thanks for the pointers, Nancy!  I'll see if I can put them to use...should be very interesting.  As I said, I'll bet you'll be back on the water by Summer!  Stoneaxe is a great inspiration and shows us that many things are possible with belief and persistence and hard work.  I, too, have found that just getting "out" there despite the wonky-headed feeling, is so helpful.  Each time I get out on the tennis court to play a match, for the first few minutes, I think I will not be able to do it due to the wonkiness, but after just a bit, I'm having such fun, I wouldn't think of stopping!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

joebloggs

« Reply #89 on: February 22, 2009, 01:29:46 am »
Hola Stoneaxe et.al,

I've been watching this thread for a while - as soon as I first saw it I thought, yes, that looks like a good time.  I was slightly put off by the recent shark attack down the road from where I am here!:

http://www.themercury.com.au/article/2009/01/18/50355_tasmania-news.html

Well I decided to suck it up and... this week I finally went paddleboarding for the first time!  I found a great guy in my state who gives lessons and went out at Bicheno on the east coast of Tasmania, Australia.  Just down the road from where I am (the other direction from the shark!!).  I had a great time cruising around the little lagoon and then up the river.  My balance isn't that bad and I managed to stay on the board the whole time and once I got into the rhythm I was really scooting along fast - I'm going to have a few more cracks at it before my Translab and then I'll be set to go post - op.  Here's a couple of pics below and I might try and put a vid up on the Acoustic Neuroma support group on facebook.

Me looking pretty happy with myself

Concentrating and listening to instructions

I'm off... wondering if I can make a run for the ocean!
Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!