Author Topic: Symptom: Feel like I need a cup of coffee  (Read 3634 times)

Steve114

Symptom: Feel like I need a cup of coffee
« on: May 16, 2009, 05:42:46 am »
I was recently (February, 2009) diagnosed with AN (3 mm) in my left ear. The initial symptom that alerted me was sudden mild hearing loss. That symptom is stable and I am getting used to it. However, I also have what I would describe as a mild balance concern. I can still run and be active- but have this odd feeling that does not go away. I describe it as waking up in the morning, feeling a bit groggy,  and wanting a cup of coffee to feel more alert. Yet, now nothing changes after I have the cup of coffee. However, I have noticed that when I am fully engadged either in a social interaction or a work project- I feel normal again.

Weird? Anyone have any similar experiences?

I have made an appointment with Dr Michael McKenna at Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary for a second opinion and hopefully talk with someone very experienced with AN.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Symptom: Feel like I need a cup of coffee
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 07:21:21 am »
Hi Steve and welcome.... sorry to have you join us but.... glad you have joined us. :)

Your AN is deemed VERY small (3mm) and there are many of us (myself included) located in the NE/Mass region (go BoSox! :) ).  Many here on this site (ie: kbonner, jcinma, sml, nancy mcdonald, crazycat and more) have been treated at MGH/MEEI with surgery or radiation.  Many are still in watch/wait (ie: MissMolly, etc).

Suggestion........

At the discussion home page, on the top left, there is a "Search" option.  Type in Mass Eye and Ear or MEEI or MGH... and you will see a great deal of info re: MGH/MEEI/Dr. McKenna.  For the New England area, MGH/MEEI have the cream of the crop in AN treatments and you are in fantastic hands with McKenna.

Since your AN is so small, you have plenty of time to research your options. Its very rare to have any form of treatment on an AN that size (although, there are a few that have.....) and suggestion is to take your time to research, research, research. If it becomes overwhelming (all the info), step back... take some time for yourself... then resume the research. Ask questions... that is why we are all here... to help with insight/experiences/knowledge as best as we can.

BTW, I grind my own coffee beans...nothing like a nice cup of Hawaiian Peaberry to start off the day! :)

Again, welcome!
Phyl
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 07:22:58 am by ppearl214 »
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 01:51:28 pm »
Having an AN can make you very tired.  I know I was suffering from fatigue for years and now that the tumor is out, I have more energy than ever.  I remember reading a thread here about it, but I can't remember the details.
Best,
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Keeping Up

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 06:25:38 pm »
Welcome to the small AN club

I always wake up feeling like a I need a cup of coffee.  I actually wake up tremendously cheerful (it annoys most people, in particular my office mates).

However, I am feel that I am 'blind' on the AN side - I think with less hearing (my loss is exceptionally mild) and a very very very mild balance issue, I am not comfortable off that side (it is also my less dominant side).

Someone is going to throw daggers at me one day with my comments on anxiety - are you getting less sleep, thinking about the sucker during the day????  I did at the beginning - think much less about it, now am sleeping better, and not totally perplexed by the idea of a tumor in my skull.  It has helped a lot - and no longer have this fog, of what if, what if, what if - over my head.

I have gotten this far by making a pseudo-decision - if I needed treatment, what would I chose. (In my case, it is surgery)  I am allowed to change at any minute (and probably wont' treat for years, crossing my fingers) - but it helped a lot to know that the decision was made.

Good luck

Ann

BTW - I need the coffee because I LOVE the smell of coffee and I allow myself to guiltlessly sit down with a coffee cup (mom of 4 syndrome)
dx Dec/08 - 5mm x 8mm AN
'watch and wait'

suboo73

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 06:10:17 am »
Hi Steve!

Glad you are here, too, and so sorry you had to join this exclusive club!  :o
Hope you are getting all your answers about your AN - sounds like you are going to some of the best!

I am here with my sister - and i wouldn't KNOW i had an AN without her initial diagnosis - i had symptoms way before she did, but everyone just blew me off! (TWO ENTS!!!)

Anyway, welcome, welcome.
Please ask any questions!
I am in W & W also.

Sue
suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

Mickey

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 08:07:06 am »
Hi everyone. Iv`e had tinnitus for 30 years. This is basically my only main noticeable symptom for the AN discovered 2 years ago.( 12x06) Still W+W with MRI due in AUG. I limit my coffe drinking and have mostly replaced  it with green tea and other herbals. Still get a little kick with regular green tea and once in a while have a cup of Java. A 3mm AN is really small so you have alot of options for you to investigate. Best wishes, Mickey

Vivian B.

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 11:10:18 am »
Welcome to the forum. I have been getting up very tired in the morning even prior to being diagnosed. I used to describe it as "I feel as if I have been hit by a truck", also needed a coffee to keep me alert in the morning, and like you said once you get busy at work it subsides a little bit. Since my diagnosis, totally different, Although tired it is not the same fatigue, more of a nervous tired as if your mind is never at ease. Maybe just part of the anxiety.  I agree with Ann, you can really feel the side of the AN has been compromised, like a heaviness of some sort probably due to the hear loss, balance affected as well as fullness of the ear. Anyway, everybody is in the same boat!!

Good luck.

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.