Author Topic: noticing "crooked smile" but no numbness  (Read 3721 times)

squiresp

noticing "crooked smile" but no numbness
« on: April 17, 2015, 08:44:32 am »
I was diagnosed with a right side AN about 5 years ago, approximate size around 2.1 x 1.5 cm and watching and waiting as I have had no symptoms at all other than a very gradual loss of hearing on the right side, which I barely notice.  It is very slowly growing, about 1-2 mm per year.  I know I'll have to do something eventually but with no symptoms it's hard to even contemplate any type of invasive treatment.  Over the last year, though, when I look at pictures of myself or catch myself in the mirror with a relaxed expression I'm noticing that my mouth is a bit droopy on the right side.  It's so subtle that I don't think anyone else would notice but I do, and I'm wondering if this is related to the AN?  I have no numbness in my face.  Has anyone else noticed this type of thing pre-surgery? Is this how facial nerve paralysis begins?

Thanks!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: noticing "crooked smile" but no numbness
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 10:54:12 am »
Hi squiresp and glad you decided to post your question .....

My first thought is:  it is a bit unusual to wait and watch with a moderately sized AN of 2.1 cm.  I am presuming your doctors have told you that you should report any new symptoms to them.

An acoustic neuroma (aka vestibular schwannoma) begins growing on the vestibular branch of the auditory nerve that goes from the brainstem to the cochlea in the inner ear through the internal auditory canal (IAC).  The facial nerve, which controls facial function, also runs through the same IAC.  The trigeminal nerve deals with facial sensation.  See:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cranial_nerves

Depending upon which way your AN grows, it can begin touching the facial nerve, which could account for the slight droop you are noticing.

If I were you, I would contact my doctor and report the noticed new symptom.

Remember we are not medical professionals on this forum, but can provide valuable information through our collective experiences as patients.

Many thoughts and prayers.  Let us know what you find out.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

ANGuy

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 05:33:12 pm »
The one thing, above all, that my Dr, and his nurse, repeat to me every chance they get, is to notify them immediately if I have any change in symptoms.  I don't ask why, I just know by the way they stress it so much that they really mean it.  So far, so good for me, but I don't take their advice lightly.
Diagnosed June 2014 1cm AN at 47 years of age.  Had fluctuating symptoms since 2006.    6 mos MRI (Dec 2014) showed no growth, MRI  in July 2015 showed no growth.  MRI Jan 2016 showed no growth.  MRI Aug 2016 showed no growth.  I'm gonna ride the WW train as long as I can.

MG

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2015, 06:03:38 am »
Squiresp,

The one thing my doctor told me for W&W is if I saw my mouth drooping, come to him at once!

Positive thoughts and prayers!
MG
Resides Inverness, Fl.
Diagnosed w/ AN tumor Aug 2013  9x5x6mm
 2016  1.3 CM Touching Brain Stem 
'Wait and Watch' is over. w/ symptons of tinnitus along w/ ear pain and pressure most every day. Will be having Cyber Knife in June 2016