Author Topic: Eyelid Implant Surgeon?  (Read 3718 times)

babyann

Eyelid Implant Surgeon?
« on: October 18, 2010, 09:15:42 am »
Hello,
I have an eyelid that does not blink or close properly due to multiple surgeries to correct a cogenital ptosis. Dry eye is a big problem. The problem is getting worse by the year and I was told by my eye doctor that it is due to the surgerical scar tissue that becomes ridgid and tightening over time. I tried the Blink-eze which helped a little but is not aesthetically pleasing to be worn out in public --- and about a week ago I woke up to find the Blink-eze missing from my eyelid and have yet to find it ($200 down the drain). So I have done some research and the Platinum Chain implants seem like a great solution. The problem is I live in Lexington, Ky and I cannot find a doctor in my area who does (or has even heard of for that matter) the Platinum Chain implants. The few doctors in my area that do the implant procedure only offer the gold or regular platinum implants. It sucks not living in or near a major city when it comes to needing a doctor who is up to date on the latest technologies. If anyone can recommend an excellent doctor that is not too far from Ky who does this implant procedure using the Platinum Chain it would be greatly appreciated.

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
Re: Eyelid Implant Surgeon?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 11:11:26 am »
Hi babyann,

Two things: first, what size BlinkEze did you use? I have a 1.6 gram weight that I would be happy to send you if you PM me your address.

Second, I wanted a platinum chain when I first visited my eye surgeon. He told me that in his experience the regular platinum weight works just as well, and he had concerns about eyelid tissue growing into the spaces of the chain making it more difficult to remove and increasing the potential for scarring. I went with his recommendation and have been very happy with the platinum weight.

My surgeon is in St. Louis, but that's probably too far for you.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

lori67

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 11:18:00 am »
Hi.

My eye surgeon is in Nashville, TN.  A few hours drive for you, but I figured I'd offer the suggestion anyway.  I'm not positive he does the chains, but I know he does the weights, so I guess you could ask him.  His name is Dr. Wesley of Wesley and Klippenstein at Vanderbilt.  I can message you the phone number if you'd like.  Just let me know!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Kaybo

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 11:47:31 am »
For what it is worth...I have had both and had to have the chain removed because it "slipped" & didn't stay in place.  I really liked my gold weights...

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!