Author Topic: Do miracles really happen?  (Read 1659 times)

phx

Do miracles really happen?
« on: February 04, 2010, 11:18:56 pm »
I was just wondering if these tumors can shrink? That's what I asked one of the doctors and he told me to pray for a miracle. When he said that, I kind of figured the answer was a "no", but still, I wonder. Has anyone heard of an AN shrinking? I was looking online and I read about being diagnosed wrong. Just curious.

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
Re: Do miracles really happen?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 11:21:57 pm »
If you mean shrinking without any kind of radiation...in my short time I've been introduced to the AN world I haven't heard of such things...maybe they stop growing on their own, but I think in time they continue to grow.  I am sure there's going to be a lot more inputs on this subject...would be interesting to hear if such things have occured...
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

Tumbleweed

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 02:05:40 am »
In the research I did  leading up to my treatment, I stumbled upon a couple well-documented (by doctors/respected medical facilities) cases in which "spontaneous disappearance" of an AN occurred. However, the impression I had was that these dramatic cases were extremely isolated, probably on the order of less than one in every ten thousand. The doctors were totally mystified as to the cause of the tumor disappearing. Sorry to say, I wouldn't count on it happening for you. It seems to be as random of an event as getting an AN in the first place.

On the other hand, a few people have reported their tumor shrinking by a very small amount, often only to grow back in size later on, or possibly fluctuate back and forth in size. I suspect some of these reports are simply the result of the margin of error (2 mm) inherent in MRIs, while others are simply the result of different radiologists interpreting subsequent MRIs differently.

Usually, ANs either stay the same size or grow very slowly (1 to 2 mm per year on average). Some go through unexplained growth spurts. The best you can rationally hope for, without treatment, is that it stays the same size for many years to come.

Best wishes,
TW
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 07:26:34 am »
While I believe that miracles can and do happen, ANs shrinking or going away on their own is wishful thinking.  Hope that doesn't sound too harsh, but I'm a realist.

ANs that don't get treated can eventually grow to the point where they can be fatal, so it's important to have them treated before they get too large.

It's common to be scared and nervous about AN surgery, but you WILL get through it.  You'll find you are stronger than you realize and even though the first few days post op are typically rough things will get better each and every day.

I sent you a PM a few days ago.  Did you read it?

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 08:24:09 am »
I've never heard of one just shrinking away on it's own, but I know they can stop growing for no apparent reason.  That's what happened to my dad.  He had no treatment at all, and it just got to a certain point and stopped growing.  I don't think this is common either.

No reason not to hope for a miracle, but probably best to be realistic and accept that the statistics don't really support that happening.

The silver lining in the cloud here:  it's benign, slow-growing and we're all living proof that you can make it through to post-treatment relatively unscathed and perfectly happy.  If I had to choose which medical condition to have out of the millions of others out there, I'd pick this one.  Well, maybe I'd take the common cold first, but, you get the point.   ;)

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Mickey

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2010, 08:40:09 am »
As a Wait and Watcher for the past few years who AN has remained stable, while very rare it has occured. There is an example on the W+W boards here named Derek whos tumor has decreased considerably on its own. I`m doing everthing possible for my health and copying what ever Derek is doing with hope that mine will stay at least stable. So far so good! Best wishes, Mickey P.S. I also have talked to a few AN`ers who are well into there older years now who never had intervention.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2010, 04:23:31 pm »
Pat ~

To answer your question: "do miracles happen?" I would say "yes" but as others have cautioned, please don't allow your wishes to be confused with reality.  ANs can shrink spontaneously but that is a definite long shot and simply not something you can put your trust in.  As Jan cautioned, these tumors are in a problematic location and must be addressed, not left to grow and do serious damage (possibly death). I believe in prayer and of course miracles can and do happen but in the meantime, please move forward with the expectation that you'll have the AN surgery as scheduled and that your outcome will be good.  Also know that many people you've never actually met (in person) will be praying for you.

Jim    
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.