Author Topic: To get ready for a spinning world  (Read 1807 times)

QRM

• Was an architect now stay at home dad
To get ready for a spinning world
« on: November 27, 2008, 01:15:09 am »
Pretty much every post op symptom is a nausea inducing spinning world.   I get motion sickness really quickly, put it this way I went to a revolving restaurant and even before I reached my table I was very green and had to leave.

Is it worth practicing spinning before the op so i get used to it?  seem daft but I tried last night, much to the amusement of my young daughter.  I spun around about 10 times and felt so sick had to miss dinner.  My theory being if i get used to it the day after the op my head should be well adjusted?

Should set up a bed on one of those spinning tea cup rides.

Already started the gym and trying to get into shape for the surgery around Jan/feb09

2.5 cm x 1.1 cm AN 30 Oct 08  Singapore Gleneagles Hosp.
Translab on  29 Jan 09 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of HEI
Surgery a success!! had wonky head for a while and odd tastes
Everyday things are improving and getting back to normal.

jazzfunkanne

Re: To get ready for a spinning world
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2008, 03:12:28 am »
i didnt have this sympton post op you may be the same, i dont think practicing spinning would help you lol
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

Dan

• Dan in Germany
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2008, 03:54:05 am »
QRM,

I didn't have any dizzyness or naseau before or after surgery.  I did do alot of exercising 3 months before surgery (bicycle riding,  weight lifting, walking and crosstrainer) and I think it helped after surgery.  Even though I really didn't have any pain after OP I was still very woobly on my feet for the first three days.  On day 4 the physical therapist came every morning and evening and we walked each day a little farther. I didn't do any bicycling or weight lifting for the first three months post OP but I did ride stationary bicycle 3 weeks after OP for 15 min and at 6 weeks upto 1 1/2 hours I was also walking 5-10km each day.  I don't think I would have recovered so fast if it wasn't for the exercise preop.

Dan in Germany
US Army Retired, age 51,  residing and working in Germany.
Retrosigmoid 21 Sept 07 left side 1.76cm AN, Prof. Mann, Uniklinik Mainz Germany

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2008, 07:32:22 am »

personally ... I agree with the others... I dont think it will help before surgery (its not worth the risk of falling and hurting yourself)... because once you have surgery .. the balance inpulses from your middle ear will be different if not gone... and thats a different set of rules for your brain to get use too ... I would save the pratice spins for after surgery ... ( I did the same walking the dog at night.... I would stand in the middle of the yard and spin around a few times like I was a kid... making myself dizzy...) not sure of it helpped... but I think it did...  ;D
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Dog Lover

• My little Sammie Roo.
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2008, 08:00:40 am »
I had major balance issues after surgery, but it was never the spinning type of dizzyness. More of a wobbling type - left side felt up while the right side was down kind of thing. Everyone is different, but that was my experience. I'd nix the spinning in the house, too. Why put yourself through it before you have to!  ;)

Cathy
Cathy
9mm x 3mm Left Side AN
Mid Fossa Aug. 21, 2008
Dr. Gantz / Dr. Woodson
Univ. of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
No facial issues, hearing saved, I keep active and feel back to normal.

Cheryl R

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2008, 09:03:49 am »
I have NF2 with 4 surgeries and I have never had any spinning problem.      You may or may not.    There will be the off balance feel which is hard to describe but you'll know what it is!      What problems you do have may depend on tumor size and location and if the body has been learning to compensate some already.                   Walking outside and in big mall  areas is usually a problem.     One has to just keep at the walking and it does get better.                 Some places give info on exercises to do at home.                          Good luck with the AN journey.
                                                 Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

wendysig

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2008, 10:20:59 am »
Exercising and getting in the best shape possible before surgery is a good idea.  It reieves stress before surgery and can only help after surgery.  I did the same thing and I'm sure many others did too. In my opinion, it's a very positive thing to do.   The fact that you are as dizzy as you are prior to surgery may be a good thing.  My doc told me before I had surgery,  the more problems I had with my balance prior to my surgery, the fewer I was likely to have afterwards.  Once the damaged vestibular nerve is cut your brain stops getting those mixed messages and things will start to improve.  I had lost quite a bit of balance on my AN side before surgery, although I never felt like I was spinning, just wobbly and had wonky head.  I used a cane for the first few weeks after surgery, but looking back I think I might have been able to give it up sooner than I did.  I found my balance improved much faster after I did.  I began vestibular rehab three weeks post-op and although my insurance company only allowed me 12 sessions (wonderful, aren't they?) it also helped enormously.  I continue to exercise with a friend who is a dance teacher (ballet exercises) which also helps.  I still have some very minor problems, wonky head for sure, outside and in crowds, especially at the mall, but it's not as bad as it was, and if I turn around or turn a corner too quickly I stumble a little, but have never fallen (actually, I might have in the beginning if not or my cane) I still weave a l when I walk but this has improved too.  Like everything else to do with the AN experience, being as active as you can and patience is the key.  My doc also told me I would regain 90%  of my balance in the first month or two the last 10% takes 6 months to a year.  It's easy to get impatient waiting for the last bit to return and doesn't mean your balance will ever be what it was  again, just that that is about the most improvement you will probably have.  Who knows though,  if you work at it, it might improve even more past that time.  Anyway, stay positive and have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Best wishes,
Wendy

1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Pembo

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2008, 06:05:39 pm »
My dizziness was so much worse before surgery. Post-op I just felt off, pt helped me tremendously. Stay strong
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

RosemaryL

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2008, 08:05:25 am »
I'm with Wendy.  My dizziness came years before my tumor was diagnosed, probably because my balance nerve was totally compromised by the tumor.  FWIW, this was before MRIs were commonly used; they did some kind of test to induce dizziness (hot air in ear, cold air in ear, sudden movements, etc) but concluded that I did not have a tumor.  Thank heavens we now have MRIs.

Anyway, since my balance nerve was compromised before the surgery, I only had some unbalance (light-headedness) to deal with after surgery.  My rehab was walking inside my house and outside only while holding on to my husband's arm or hand.

Frankly, I wouldn't practice spinning now.  Your world may not spin after surgery; and if it does, it may not last for long.  Why suffer before you have to?  Exercise is good, as is thinking positively about your post surgery self.

Good luck,
Rosemary
1.5 cm right side AN removed by retrosigmoid approach, 12/1/98
Laligam Sekhar and Sanjay Prasad, George Washington Univ Hosp
deaf on right side, facial feeling and function fully recovered

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2008, 03:57:46 pm »
As one who had the room spinning when I first woke up post op, I wouldn't recommend practicing spinning.  You'll only make yourself sick  :P

My spinning went away by day 2, so my recommendation is if you encounter spinning post op, just wait it out - it will go away.

I also had massive nausea for 4 or 5 days post op and although it was uncomfortable and caused me not to eat anything during that time, it too eventually went away.

Someone on the forum recommended peppermint for nausea; sounds like a good idea.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

mrgarlic

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2008, 12:34:02 pm »
Greetings orm, I have a thought, what if you practice spinning to your right and end up with left spin? :) :) I personally had a dizzy spell just after surgery but it didn't last long. My concern was balance. In 2004 when I had my first tumor surgery, I had just purchased a spanking new bright red Harley Davidson. Dr brackmann ( HEI, Los Angeles ) said to keep it. My bike and I get along just fine. My wife and enjoy many rides together. Bike riding balance and walking are two seperate issues. When I walk I do veer off to my left at times, when I ride, centrifical motion takes over. You may not have any spinning issues at all.  Take care friend,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Larry
I am not the person I used to be,
 I am becoming the pereson I am.

AN surgery 2004- Trigeminal Neuroma  surgery scheduled    Nov 2oth 2008