Author Topic: heavy head  (Read 12514 times)

reg

heavy head
« on: October 09, 2012, 11:17:03 am »
when i lie or sit down my head feels normal, when i rise and start to move my head feels as if though it weighs a ton thereby throwing my balance out of wack, just wondering if anyone else has this feeling and if its wonkiheadness ;D
4.5 cm retro surgical removal dec 06

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: heavy head
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 09:10:59 pm »
Wish I could help, but I don't have this issue.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Alison

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 04:39:26 am »
Hi Reg,

I'm pre-treatment, but one of my symptoms is like you describe. I also call it heavy head, like I've a weight in my head which almost feels like it is sliding about from my left AN side to the centre of my head. It is worse on changing position and seems to correspond with a head whoosh and increase in tinnitus noise. I also have balance issues and dizziness.

AN, "the gift that goes on giving"!

Best wishes,

Alison
CPA and IAC AN 14.5mm x 10mm x 8mm diagnosed August 2012 treatment in UK SRS Linac with headframe  Dec 2012 MRI 4 month post April 2013 was 18mm x 13 x 7.8 (this April MRI was not measured until Jan 2014) MRI January 2014 was 17mm x 11.4 x 8.3 (one year post)

skipg

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 05:59:54 am »
Nothing like that. In fact as part of my simulation on Mon the doctor had me do different rapid head movements and up and down movements to check for dizziness. Nothing unusual. I think I had him concerned when I told him I would be riding the bike over for treatments. (60 mis round-trip) I just realized then that the wonki head feeling has been very minimal for some time now. So many different symptoms we are blessed with.
Skip
Self diagnosed 11/17/2010 (love the internet)
MRI 12/2010 Official diagnosis 1/3/2011 RT AN 7x6x4mm's
MRI 6/17/2011 no change still 7X6X4
MRI 7/20/2012 growth spurt to 14mm
Aug 8th consult and decided on Proton Therapy
Proton Therapy @ Hampton Proton Institute,       done on 11/20/12

alabamajane

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 10:09:17 am »
Hi, sorry to hear you are experiencing this symptom,,
I too had that type of discomfort before my surgery last Oct.... It started within the last year of my diagnosis, I was w&w for three yrs  before surgery without much symptoms till the last year then things went down hill pretty quickly.
It may be related to the location of your tumor, I don't know as I am not a dr,, but I think mine was,,mine had grown into the CPA and was pressing on my brain stem in the last year,, I think, but was not told as much, that that is one reason my symptoms worsened. Mine was approx. 2.8cm at surgery and the location had a lot to do with my symptoms,, that last year I was mostly on the couch or chair as I felt really bad when moving about,,even quit driving for several months,,
So I feel for you,,I think it is a little different than the "wonky head" we speak of,,,I still get that occasionally but not as often,,talk to your dr and try to find out location of your tumor,, you may also want to send a copy of your MRI cd to other drs for second opinion on treatment,,I imagine you have seen on here that one such place for this is House Ear Clinic in Los Angeles ,, I sent one there and it was wonderful help/advice,, best of luck Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

lrobie

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 12:05:33 pm »
Try moving your head from side to side while you're sitting or lying down...do you have the same heavy feeling or sensation?  Also try standing up and keeping your head still, only moving your eyeballs to look around.  Then try moving your head.  Do you feel the sensation when you are keeping your head still?  Moving your head?  My guess is that the tumor is starting to press on your vestibular nerve causing this to happen.  However, I'm not a doctor and can't say for sure.  I do have the heavy head feeling while moving my head around.  If I try to move my eyes first and follow with my head, the sensation is minimal to non-existent.  I'm in the recovery phase post-op.  Thus, trying to put the pieces of my balance system back in order.  Let me know.

Lisa
6/2009 7mm x 4mm  W&W
8/2011 9.5mm x 5mm
2/2012 UPMC Follow-up , slight growth
Surgery on 7/18/12 w/Drs. Friedman & Schwartz (mid-fossa)
www.caringbridge.org/visit/lisarobie

reg

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2012, 12:00:50 pm »
 :)thanks for replies, i cant describe feeling acurately but its aggrevating.  hey skipg wish i could ride my harley, havent rode since operation. thinking of selling to get a can-am spider, anyway going to contact dr. ducic at goergetown to see if there is anything he can do
4.5 cm retro surgical removal dec 06

skipg

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2012, 04:46:30 pm »
Hi Reg,
I feel bad for you being knocked off the bike by this AN. I have fiends with CanAms and they love them. Think positive, go one day at a time, and hopefully you will be in the saddle again sooner rather than later.
Skip
Self diagnosed 11/17/2010 (love the internet)
MRI 12/2010 Official diagnosis 1/3/2011 RT AN 7x6x4mm's
MRI 6/17/2011 no change still 7X6X4
MRI 7/20/2012 growth spurt to 14mm
Aug 8th consult and decided on Proton Therapy
Proton Therapy @ Hampton Proton Institute,       done on 11/20/12

kaykay

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2012, 10:44:17 am »
ive had that ...it felt like my head was full of cement. and if i moved it slightly to the side it would fall off, and i would fall over with it
i havent had that sensation for awhile now...im 3yrs post op

rjmchale

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2013, 04:17:35 pm »
This is my first post.  I had my Gamma Knife procedure done a week ago and I have the heavy head dizziness symptom you described.  I hope this gets better soon.  Does anyone know what can be done?  I did not have any balance issues prior to Gamma Knife.

Bob
9mm x 4 mm. Right AN
Diagnosed October 2012
Gamma Knife surgery 1/10/2013
SSD right side. Tinnitus.  No balance issues prior to Gamma Knife.  Currently- balance has resolved itself.  Back to all normal activities.  Ride my bicycle between 50 to 100 miles per week.😄

millie

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2013, 06:45:28 pm »
Reg-I did not see your heavy head post until tonight.  You sound just like me.  I did not have this feeling always, just in the prior five months to my surgery.  It is like a spirit sitting on the head. The an side.  Like you, if I am lying down I don't have it-and if I am sitting, it seems better. Hang in there-I hope we may get better as we hral.  Mil

rjmchale

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2013, 09:45:53 am »
I have an update on my heavy head feeling and vertigo from my Gamma Knife procedure four weeks ago.  I am feeling much better now and the heavy head feeling is gone.  My balance issues have almost gone away.  What seemed to help me was taking long walks each day.  The walks were very difficult at first, but I believe they really helped me to regain my balance.  I eventually worked up to walks of four to five miles and I have started to ride mike bicycle again.  Happy to post some good news and I hope this helps anyone else out there going through the same thing.

Bob
9mm x 4 mm. Right AN
Diagnosed October 2012
Gamma Knife surgery 1/10/2013
SSD right side. Tinnitus.  No balance issues prior to Gamma Knife.  Currently- balance has resolved itself.  Back to all normal activities.  Ride my bicycle between 50 to 100 miles per week.😄