Author Topic: 7-12 surgery  (Read 3300 times)

kim508

7-12 surgery
« on: January 22, 2011, 09:54:47 am »
Hi I just had the 7-12 surgery with a cross sectional facial nerve about 2mouths ago. I am trying to wait patiently but I have a lot of questions?
I'm just nervous that I have a 9hour surgery and nothing to show for it but scars

1. How long did it take for the first movement for you
2. before movement did you get any weird symptoms
3. I have been able to eat on that side cause it hurts? is that normal...and like it hurts like when I drink things cold
4. I been pressing my tough against my teeth as much as possible....is there anything else that people did that seem to work?

I'm scared cause I just have this surgery right before I got off my partents insurance. So right now I have NO INSURANCE...I am trying to get some but I'm part time, SO its hard and its not like i have to much money cause I just got out of school and trying to pass my board when trying to not thing about all my health issues

I hope this surgery works just a little. I just want some movement SO I can restore my hope again cause its its been a rough year

lori67

Re: 7-12 surgery
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 10:09:06 am »
Hi Kim.

Does sound like it's been a rough year for you.  Hopefully this one will be MUCH better!

I had the 7/12 also and was told not to expect any movement for about 6 months.  I started to get my first little tiny movements at about 3 months (I'm probably the only one who noticed at that point).  I'm about 2 1/2 years post op now and I'm still getting new movements.  As you can see, it's a long and slow process and nerves heal when they're good and ready to.  They don't seem to care what we want.   >:(

I would say that 6 months out is a pretty good estimate to start to see anything noticeable.  And by that I don't mean you'll wake up one day and have a big toothy smile, but you'll notice more symmetry and just better tone.  That's how it worked in my case.   I have had to deal with some synkinesis (like my eye closing when I eat), but that's something that you can address if and when it happens.

I don't recall any weird symptoms during the healing process, but I still occasionally get little twinges that make me think the nerve is still trying to heal itself.  I haven't been able to eat on that side since my AN surgery, so I can't really help with that question.

As far as moving your tongue around to get things to work, it's pretty much just trial and error - you have to try things to see what happens and figure out how things are wired now.  It's good to do, but don't kill yourself at this point - if the nerve hasn't hooked itself up to the muscles yet, all you're going to do it get a tired tongue.

I hope this surgery works for you too. Keep your spirits up and be patient with yourself.  If you want to talk, let me know.  I can PM you my phone number or you can send me a PM.

Good luck and think positive thoughts!   ;)
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 12:48:53 pm »
LORI:  YOU ROCK !!  Kim:  I didn't have the graph surgeries, but I'm so glad to see you did - had I been younger & a non-smoker,  I would have gone for it.
I am putting out good thoughts that,  given time,  you will see loads of improvement.  Keep a peaceful heart during this healing time.
Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Jeff

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 03:37:29 pm »
Hi,
It approximately 6 months before I noticed even the slightest movement. It is not until then that I began to work on it.

I can say that my face looks nearly symmetrical at rest, as opposed to its saggy state prior to that.

I too was told that it would take 6 months before I saw signs of success, and that was accurate. Hang in there and keep the faith!
Best wishes,
Jeff
NF2
multiple AN surgeries
last surgery June 08

moe

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 11:28:18 am »
Hi Kim,
Just responded to another post of yours. My 12/7 showed marginal results, because my tumor had squashed the facial nerve and many branches.
Good advice from Lori (she's great and funny too :D )
Just keep looking for those small signs. Keep truckn ;)
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty