Author Topic: Mid Fossa Scheduled 3/3 with Dr Friedman  (Read 23453 times)

moe

Re: Mid Fossa Scheduled 3/3 with Dr Friedman
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2010, 10:01:04 am »
Hi Stephanie,
So sorry to hear about Kevin's set back. Unfortunately it does sometimes happen, but he is feeling good, and better to "nip it in the bud" now, take all precautions, and treat everything before you head back to Chicago.
Another week and hopefully you'll be good to go back home.
Prayers and positive vibes going your way.
Maureen :)
PS-I'm a home health nurse. Can't resist- the IV line is a PICC- peripherally inserted central catheter!
Goes into the __________ vein, which eventually gets to the heart (ok don't know as much as I think I do!) :D
Anyway, they are great. Kathy on the forum had one for quite a while, but hopefully Kevin's will be very short lived.
Take care, nurse Stephanie. Treat yourself to something every day OK????? :)
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2010, 11:15:57 am »
I am so sad to hear of this set back but my very 1st thought was EXACTLY what Maureen said above.  Glad you weren't on your way back to Chicago when all this happened.

Have heard of the spinal fluid stuff causing pain for a few post surgery.   Thought maybe I had that, but due to previous back & neck ahces, they actually later found out other spinal issues.   

Take care, prayers for sure!!!!!
Denise (MI)
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2010, 02:29:10 pm »
'Nurse' Stephanie ~

Like those who've posted before me, I, too, was dismayed to learn about Kevin's set-back.  Of course, we all want complication-free surgeries but yes, these operations are complex and sometimes problems arise despite the doctor's best efforts.  I can only hope, along with you and Kevin, that these issues quickly resolve.  I'm glad to read that Kevin is feeling O.K., despite the problems.  That isn't always the case so he should be thankful for that, as I'm sure he is.  Remind your husband that in a few months, this will all be a dim memory.  Meanwhile, don't dwell on the negative and as Maureen stated, 'treat yourself to something every day".  :)   

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2010, 11:39:29 pm »
Ugh...the ol' one step forward, two steps back dance eh?  Well, it sounds like Kevin has a very capable "nurse" as you had mentioned, so he's in good hands!  My thoughts and prayers are with you both! Take care!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

sgerrard

« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2010, 12:04:54 am »
That's not the first PICC line I've heard about here on the forum. So Kevin just gets to join a special club within the club.  ;)

They are a royal pain, but all cases I've seen on here finish up well and go away, so I'm not worried. Kevin will be home and recovering eventually.

Keep up your spirits, the end is in sight, it is just a few more hills further away than you thought. You will make it!

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Jeff

« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2010, 03:51:13 pm »
I am sorry that you and your husband are having to deal with this. Although I haven't had this complication, I did have some major complications that caused me to stay at St. Vincent's for 5 weeks, then another hospital for 2 more. Dealing with this is indeed a challenge. But, you are in good hands. Dr. F is my dr and has done 3 of my surgeries. He's a great guy.

I want you to know that you can get through this.

You'll look back at this time and see just what you can do if you have to. Hang in there and best wishes.

Jeff
NF2
multiple AN surgeries
last surgery June 08

Amplified2000

• Loose nut behind the wheel
« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2010, 08:23:19 pm »
Hello everyone,

I would give more details but as I'm sure you all know I'm quite exhausted.. here are the cliffs notes since Stephanies last post.

1. re-admitted, placed on IV- Antibiotics and had a spinal fluid drain placed.
2. spent Fri - Tuesday in ICU with spinal drain hoping for the leak to heal up.
3. drain was clamped off and removed and it appears the leak is gone.
4. discharged from St. Vincents yesterday
5. continuing to recieve antibiotics until monday and should be cleared to go home on tuesday :)
10th Cranial Nerve Neuroma - 4.6cm x 4.2cm x 6.8cm - Removed 5/08 by Dr. John Leonnetti @ Loyola University
AN - Left IAC - 20mm x 9mm x 11mm - 2/10
Mid-Fossa - Dr. Friedman @ HEI on 3/3/10
Total removal, only mild hearing loss.. did have a CSF leak but they fixed it :)
Home recovering :)

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2010, 08:51:09 pm »
Yes, so glad to hear from you.....must have got my message?   Sounds like it's finally getting better then, since you are back out of the hospital.    What exactly are they saying caused what you had?   (like a staph or MERSA or other infection?)   

Oh we will be saying LOTS of prayers for you guys this in hopes all goes well so you can head home.   Such a long ordeal you have had!    Hope the family is holding up well!!!

Are they sending your papers to a doctor closer to home, just incase anything is off when you get back?   Just a thought due to the distance.

BEST WISHES!! and IN MY PRAYERS!
Denise S. (MI)
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

cindyj

« Reply #53 on: March 19, 2010, 05:28:06 am »
Well, hello, Kevin!  Welcome to postie land - sorry yours was a bit more adventerous than we would have hoped for, but glad things seem to be heading in the right direction now.  Take it easy - nap, and then nap some more :)

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

alicia

• it is well
« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2010, 08:22:38 am »
You have had your share of confusing days.  Remember to take it easy even when you start feeling more energy.  You do not want another leak.  Hope by Tuesday you are feeling amazingly better. Take it day by day, one foot in front of the other and before you know it - you'll be home.  ;)
02/16/18 III to IV post GK Facial Paralysis
12/13/17 Gamma Knife
05/19/09 Translab Larger than expected - Drs used the word "tangerine"   House - Friedman and Schwartz
04/02/09 Diagnosed Left AN 3.2cm x 2.6cm x 2.7cm

moe

« Reply #55 on: March 19, 2010, 08:34:24 am »
Kevin,
Very nice and succinct post!
Okay, so hopefully the "leak" is behind you, and no headaches. You will be on your way home before you know it:)
Congratulations on being a postie, take it easy, real easy.
Maureen :)
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Amplified2000

• Loose nut behind the wheel
« Reply #56 on: March 23, 2010, 11:45:06 am »
Update :)

1. Cleared by Dr. Friedman to head home
2. Cleared by other Dr's as infection free. No more IV antibiotics, PICC line is out!
3. Flight home is tonight, leaving LA at 5:30pm.... can't wait to get home!
4. Hearing test showed only mild hearing loss in AN ear at certain frequencies... %100 word recognition score post-op!!

With the exception of my little hiccup in recovery this has been everything I hoped for with my AN removal.. I wouldn't hesitate for a second to reccomend HEI and specifically Dr. Friedman, not only did he do an amazing job in the OR he has been outstanding to work with both pre and post op.. a genuinely nice man.
10th Cranial Nerve Neuroma - 4.6cm x 4.2cm x 6.8cm - Removed 5/08 by Dr. John Leonnetti @ Loyola University
AN - Left IAC - 20mm x 9mm x 11mm - 2/10
Mid-Fossa - Dr. Friedman @ HEI on 3/3/10
Total removal, only mild hearing loss.. did have a CSF leak but they fixed it :)
Home recovering :)

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #57 on: March 23, 2010, 12:56:57 pm »
Kevin ~

Thanks for the update!  I'm so glad to learn that you're finally out of the woods (HEI) and homeward bound.  Take it easy and don't push yourself too hard, but have a rapid and complete recovery.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

alicia

• it is well
« Reply #58 on: March 23, 2010, 02:14:58 pm »
Sigh of relief!  I am glad you are headed home -  I hope Spring is everywhere when you get there. Enjoy your walks and naps!
02/16/18 III to IV post GK Facial Paralysis
12/13/17 Gamma Knife
05/19/09 Translab Larger than expected - Drs used the word "tangerine"   House - Friedman and Schwartz
04/02/09 Diagnosed Left AN 3.2cm x 2.6cm x 2.7cm

sgerrard

« Reply #59 on: March 23, 2010, 08:19:49 pm »
Good news, Kevin. Hopefully you are having a good flight, and will soon be nestled at home in your own bed. Bliss!

I hope you have decided that two neuromas is enough, and that you are done having this kind of surgery for a while. :)

Take care now,

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.