Author Topic: FSR- 2.6 Years Later  (Read 1540 times)

Taiwan Jesse

FSR- 2.6 Years Later
« on: September 17, 2013, 10:28:52 pm »
I received FSR for my 2.9cm AN in April 2011. This months' MRI showed no growth! Could this be a sign my tumor has been liquidated? My doctor is convinced this is the case. Yet once in a while we read of someone's regrowth, sometimes after years. I'm trying to keep an open mind about it, and prepare myself just in case there is regrowth. I'll go on getting MRI's every 6 months to a year for the foreseeable future as well. Today I received some good news, but I'm learning to measure progress one MRI at a time.     

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: FSR- 2.6 Years Later
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 01:53:24 pm »
Jesse ~

Congratulations!  No tumor growth in almost 2½ years is good news and indicates your AN has been effectively 'killed'.  ANs that are radiated are not 'liquified' but their ability to grow is destroyed, making them like a dead leaf on a tree and of no further concern to the patient. 

Yes, radiated ANs have re-grown over time but that is relatively random and cannot be effectively predicted. Your doctor will decide how often you'll require an MRI scan to monitor your tumor but usually, after the first few post-radiation years, an annual MRI is considered sufficient.  I think the odds are on your side.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.