Author Topic: Chicago - Seeking Second Opinion - Recommendations?  (Read 3153 times)

KarenChicago

Chicago - Seeking Second Opinion - Recommendations?
« on: December 02, 2015, 09:45:49 am »
Hi All,

I have a unique health history so I see a variety of doctors at Northwestern in Chicago.

I was diagnosed in August / September 2015 with 2 CM AN, right ear. I have suffered from tinnitus and partial hearing loss for awhile now.

I am currently seeing Dr. Bloch (neuro) and Dr. Voelker (ENT) at Northwestern as surgery was recommended versus radiation. Per Dr. Bloch, "radiation can turn a benign tumor malignant".

I was initially scheduled for surgery on 12/09/15 but we have postponed it due to some additional health issues that have come up in the last couple of weeks (heart related).

While I am feeling better, I am second guessing surgery now and am seeking a second opinion.

Any recommendations in Chicagoland?

Many thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 08:51:56 am by KarenChicago »
36 yrs old
2 CM AN diagnosed August 15' - right ear
Partial hearing loss, tinnitus
Currently seeing Dr. Bloch and Dr. Voelker at NMH
Surgery recommended but seeking 2nd op for Gamma Knife due to unique health history.

Jet747

Re: Chicago - Seeking Second Opinion - Recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2015, 01:40:27 am »
Karen,

Sorry to hear about your challenges.  I'm sure you will make the right choice for yourself and it is wise to seek counsel from multiple sources.

I live in Chicago and highly recommend George Bovis working out of the Brain & Spine Center of Advocate Lutheran General in Park Ridge, IL.  He does both procedures which in my opinion allows for providing an unbiased opinion to patients.

I was diagnosed in May with a massive AN and ended up having a combination of surgery & radiation in October.   

You will love George.

Feel free to send me a private message me if you have additional questions.  I have now spoken with several people via phone by way of this forum.

Best,
Jet

RS Surgery May 2015

GK Radiation October 2015

https://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=21969.0

DizzyMamaIL

• Facebook
Re: Chicago - Seeking Second Opinion - Recommendations?
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2016, 02:29:53 am »
I'm also in the Chicago area. I have been seeing otolaryngologist, neurologist, and soon the radiation oncologist at Loyola. The otolaryngologist there told me there was a "extremely small" risk of turning the tumor malignant. The neurologist told me the risk of turning the tumor malignant is about the same risk as dying from the surgery. That sort of put the risk into perspective for me. Since this was from 3 months ago, did you make a decision on how to proceed? How are things going for you?
February 2012 - first doctor visit for vertigo
January 2015 - sudden hearing loss
January 2016 - dx AN 1.1 cm x 2 cm
May 2016 - radiation; June 2016 to present - headaches, vertigo; October 2016 - one episode of facial paralysis