Author Topic: hand use  (Read 3178 times)

Johnine

hand use
« on: September 20, 2005, 05:27:52 pm »
Our 26 year old daughter had surgery on September 7th.  From the get go she has had difficulty using her right hand.  Did anyone else have such a problem?  What did you do to help with this problem?  She cannot really write or type at all at this point and it is now almost two weeks post-operation.

Thanks,
Johnine

wadsy

Re: hand use
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2005, 07:01:58 pm »
Hi,

Im in Australia and had a AN op (translab) 4mths ago. I had great diffilculty with hand co-ordination for two months (couldnt shave, type etc) I still have trouble writing but apparently that is 'normal'. My biggest concern is my face which is still paralised but is slowly getting better. Hang in there cause it will improve.

Regards,

wadsy

msuscottie

• Postie x 3
    • mytooma - the acoustic neuroma blog
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2005, 09:58:52 am »
I'm coming up on one year post-op (October 7th) and initially I was paralyzed on the left side of my body and lost quite a bit of coordination. There were times in the hospital that I wasn't coordinated enough to pick up marbles or coins from a table. Things have improved, but I am still less coordinated that I was pre-op. Long gone are the days when I could dribble a basketball with both hands. Anyway, in my situation, it's been like retraining yourself as you did when you were an infant. Your body and brain have to re-meet each other and learn to work together again. 2 months post-op I couldn't type, but I'm getting this out now. It's hard and a slow process, I'm 29 so I can relate with being young and having your health taken away from you, but just stick with it. The more she uses her right hand, the more it will come back. I remember the week I got home from the hospital, 5 weeks post op, I tried to play a video game (football) and I just kept running out of bounds because my left hand wouldn't work right.

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2005, 05:01:34 am »
Sounds like me ! .. I had to go buy electric razor because I kept cutting myself ! and they said was it was a mico-stoke!! during my op..

its been 6 weeks and its hard to type .. but getting better. thats what counts! .. I pushing myself to work from home now half days (as a computer programmer)  It will get better !!  .. but does take longer, and you will have to push yourself.

Joe

Translab 4 cm
@house Aug 9,2005
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Johnine

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2005, 10:52:02 am »
It is me again.  Did anyone do physical therapy to get back the use of the hand?

Are there any exercises that can help?

Thanks,

Johnine

Joef

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2005, 05:27:50 pm »
Yes, I am currently in phyiscal,occupational, and speech therarpy !! its the occupational that looks at the hand use, they will have lots of exericises. (I can more detail if you need) Phyiscal with works on the balance issues, and speeh is speeh ;-) 2 times a week ... its been a few weeks now, and doing very well !

Joe

4 cm AM removed translab
@house  Aug 9,2005

Johnine

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2005, 07:08:07 pm »
Thanks Joe, I feel that you are correct about the OT.  I am a Special Education teacher and of course, the OT is the way to go.  Anne has Kaiser Insurance so I am told I have to call her primary doctor to get an appointment for them to order therapy.  The neurosurgeon could not do it.  Strange. 

I have to leave her on Tuesday and then our older daughter is coming.  I am hoping that when she leaves that Anne will be able to soon drive.  I don't know how long that takes.  The doctors said to let Anne lead the way in this area. 

This sure has been a journey.

Thanks,

Johnine

Joef

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2005, 09:38:23 am »
Its been 7 weeks .. my balance is good and getting better ,except at night .. I still have dry eye, and I not been driving yet , but I could on a cloudy day .. have her do work stuff .. getting the mail,house work, walking, keep it at her pace , slow but sure .. and it should come back !

Joe