Author Topic: cerebello pontine angle--whazatt?  (Read 2514 times)

carolk

cerebello pontine angle--whazatt?
« on: April 16, 2006, 10:47:23 am »
Hi All,

Sent my MRIs for review to a few places and the very nice Dr. at UVa called me to talk (for about 45 minutes!) and also sent a letter stating that I have a:

"small enhancing mass in the right internal auditory canal consistent with a vestibular schwannoma.  It measures 6 x 3 mm and does not extend in to the cerebello pontine angle or into the inner ear."

I assume this is some structure in the brain, but don't know--does anyone know what this is and the significance of an AN's placement in relation to it?

thanks!
  Carol

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: cerebello pontine angle--whazatt?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2006, 12:21:25 pm »
Hi Carol,

Oh, you and I are mirror image except mine is left IAC with it just reaching into the CP angle region.  What that is saying, from my understanding, is that the tumor is just now peeking out from the auditory canal... in your case, it means that your's is still in the canal and not peeking into the CP angle region.  I feel it's nothing to be alarmed about, especially since your's is still quite small. Your in great hands with UVA and I trust what they share with you.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

carolk

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2006, 06:34:20 pm »
thanks for these answers.   All three physicians I consulted said it's reasonable to continue to watch and wait with regular MRIs, which is what I plan to do for now.   Eachof the three options has risks:  Surgery, radiation and watching/waiting.  For now I feel best with the risks of doing nothing--just watching and waiting. . .
cheers,
ck

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2006, 08:18:34 pm »
HI Carol.. glad to help. I was in the same shoes for the past 9 months (they discovered my AN last May when it was 5mm x 7mm, still IAC -- not at CP Angle Region at that time). Wait/watch worked fine for me as I knew the MRI's would be the indicator of IF and when things should go on..... I just graduated (almost 2 weeks ago) from wait/watch to post-treatment. You and I are fortunate that there are many options available as some here didn't have that chance. As long as you are in wait/watch mode, this is a terrific time to do some self-education on many of the potential treatment options available. I took that time (from last May until this February) to do the research and then make my decision.

Anyway, hang in there... we're really all here for you and all of us are ready to help in any way we can.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Battyp

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2006, 08:42:40 pm »
http://www.abta.org/pdf/ABTA%20Primer-Chapter%201.pdf

everything and anything you want to know about your brain..

May you be a watch and waiter for ever!!!!  In other words I'm waving my magic batty wand and hoping your AN never grows needing any treatment :-*

carolk

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2006, 09:28:34 am »
Wow--what a great resource on the brain.  Thanks.  and thanks for the good wishes, too.  I hope to be a watch and waiter forever, too. . .

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2006, 10:31:21 am »
...from your mouth to the Man Upstair's ears!  wishing the same for you Carol! :)

Phyl

Wow--what a great resource on the brain.  Thanks.  and thanks for the good wishes, too.  I hope to be a watch and waiter forever, too. . .[/b]

SKT

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2006, 11:03:45 am »
All the best Carol.  I hope it just sits there - even if it doesn't there are options and it will all turn out fine.