Author Topic: New article about facial nerve regeneration  (Read 13642 times)

jerseygirl

New article about facial nerve regeneration
« on: June 22, 2011, 07:16:55 am »
Hi,

I checked the news this morning and saw this article:

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/229300.php

This technique is effective for facial nerve damage due to all causes, including surgery. This might be actually what people do with their facial therapist; I would love to hear their comments.

It is the second article of facial nerve recovery that  I am posting. This topic is getting a lot of attention lately. It is about time!

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
Re: New article about facial nerve regeneration
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 07:37:09 am »
Hi Eve!

Interesting article.  I would like to read more about what she is doing.  It seems like the articles references people who have NO facial movement, whereas people like Jackie Diels work with patients who have at least some sign of movement.  In any event, it is a positive step forward and, yes, about time!

Hey, how have you been?  Wendy and I were talking the other day and saying that we have to get together for brunch in the city soon - maybe in Sept/Oct?

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

jerseygirl

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 07:49:24 am »
Hi Debbie,

Nice to hear from you! Sept/Oct sounds great! I am doing great. I can't wait to see your improvements. I haven't seen you for a year and any changes (positive!) will be very noticeable.
Give my regards to Wendy.

Eve

Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

psmix

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 07:10:00 pm »
Dr. Brackmann told me that there is some evidence that massage helps. It must have a similar benefit. Does anyone know how many times a day and for how long each session you need to do this to make a difference?

Right AN diagnosed Sept. 2010 - 4 cm x 3 cm x 3 cm
Debulked via translab Sept. 2010
Removed at House Feb. 2011
CSF leak with blind sac closure and lumbar drain March 2011
Unresponsive facial nerve, platinum weight
SSD

ilsemor

• 1.4mm, translab at House w/Dr. Slattery 7/6/09
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 02:00:38 pm »
Teresa Englad recommended from House told me about this technique six months after my surgery, I did it for a while and then stopped, ...kind of lazy, I wonder if it will still work two years post surgery?

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 02:13:46 pm »
Before I started getting any real movement back in my face, I used heat and very gentle massage on my face, focusing on cheek and around the mouth.  I don't know if it helped in terms of speeding up the healing process, but it did help feel good!  Once I had regained some significant movement, I went to see Jackie Diels and she gave me a number of stretching exercises that I did twice a day.  She also recommended warm compresses whenever my face feels tight.

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2011, 08:43:50 pm »
thanks Eve: okay, so everyday I will swipe my finger all around the inside of my paralyzed side, & continue to pray for healing.  Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis