Author Topic: Stuffed Up Nose - What's up with this???  (Read 5164 times)

KarenE

Stuffed Up Nose - What's up with this???
« on: August 21, 2010, 01:52:10 pm »
Ever since my surgery in July, the nostril on the side of my face that is paralyzed has been COMPLETEY stopped up.  No matter how much I blow or try to help it, it stays that way.  I've never had problems with allergies or anything before my surgery......
Is this another side effect for me?  What can I do??
Thanks!!!  :)
3.1 cm facial schwannoma removed 7/23/10 at Skull Base Institute - CA
No hearing left ear
Little balance
Left side of face paralyzed
Have nerve reconstruction surgery 8/30/10

iluuvpups

Re: Stuffed Up Nose - What's up with this???
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 01:59:28 pm »
Hey Karen.  I think you should talk to your doctor.

I have a similar problem.  Ever since my surgery in May, I get like scabs in my left nostril (tumor side) that plug up that nostril.  Sounds gross, but the only way to clear that nostril is to pick them out.  They don't blow out.  I probably should talk to my doctor about this too.  But I also wonder if anyone else has had a similar experience.
Original 1.75cm left-side AN diagnosed Feb 2010
Translab surgery May 27, 2010 with Drs. Kartush and Pieper of MEI
SSD on left side, some facial weakness, tear duct doesn't work
Found I actually had a facial neuroma during translab
Remaining 6mm facial neuroma - watch and wait

Funnydream

• Texas in my room crying. Guys can't cry. DARN IT.
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 08:37:26 pm »
I'm pre treatment and my nose FEELS stuffed up all the time too. Of course its numb 24/7. I have to sleep on my opposite side to unclog my AN side nostril. Also starting to notice my skin on my face is dryer on AN side. (more flaky skin zits don't seem the same, etc)
Age 42, AN left, 2.8cm
left hearing gone, balance getting better.
16 hour Surgery 9-27-10 CSF leak fix 10-4-10 3 hours
Miracle I feel my left face and tongue again.
If we evolved from monkeys into humans? When do we stop being human and become something else? What would that something else be?

moe

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 10:21:17 pm »
Or you can try those Breathe Right thingies that go across the bridge of the nose for when you sleep.
I had facial paralysis and I was unable to breathe out of the left nostril because the muscles atrophied.
 Though I did fine breathing out of one nostril. With my recent muscle implant surgery into the cheek, I can now breathe out of the left nostril a little better.
Do you notice that you can breathe out of your left nostril by lifting up your cheek?
Donnalynn has good advice, try that!
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Funnydream

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 10:46:53 am »
Hi All,
 I have the solution for your stuffy noses!!!!! :D... sinus infections and nose sores.
You will have great results using a "netti pot" Google this and read about this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8sDIbRAXlg
How am I going to use this if my nose is clogged already?

If I use Neo-Synephrine 12 hour to clear my nose. I'm good for 12 hours and won't need to pour water threw my nose. I mean I hate when water is in my nose. Makes me freak out.

I would like to try it though since its something I never done before just for the human experience of it.
Age 42, AN left, 2.8cm
If we evolved from monkeys into humans? When do we stop being human and become something else? What would that something else be?

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 07:36:32 am »
Hi Karen,
  My AN side nostril was pretty clogged, more than the non-AN side,  for about 6 weeks after AN surgery, and the AN side nostril was irritated and the mucus often showed some blood.  The gases they have you on during surgery, including O2, are completely dry and I think they can irritate the nasal passages.  The suggestions to try some of the salt solution rinses are worth trying to see if they help.  I don't think this happens to all AN patients after surgery, but it has been mentioned by several people on this forum.  It may depend on how sensitive your particular nasal passges are.  I hope you get some relief soon.
Regards,
  Rob
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 07:38:52 am by HeadCase2 »
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

Lizard

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 07:40:28 am »
Hi All,
 I have the solution for your stuffy noses!!!!! :D... sinus infections and nose sores.
You will have great results using a "netti pot" Google this and read about this.
 It is AMAZING how great it works for sinus troubles/infections, and clearing out the nostrils and keeping the mucous membranes healthy and less inflamed.
 It is very safe, doesn't cost a bundle, and it really works!!!!!
A long with the netti Pot you will use a weak salt solution ( use the directions that come with the netti pot) .
You can purchase your pot at most Health stores or drug stores.
 Let me know how this works for you!
 Cheers!
Donnalynn

I second this, the netti pot is amazing!!!  As someone who has suffered with sinus problems for years this is the only thing that's really worked.
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

Funnydream

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 11:24:20 am »
This guy knows how to use a NETI POT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQm7YpxgOnA

The endorsements this is getting from you gals makes me want to run out and buy one.
Age 42, AN left, 2.8cm

KarenE

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2010, 02:08:09 pm »
Thanks everyone for the tips!  I have tried a Netti Pot before, just not since this started.  I was hoping it would go away before my next surgery on Monday!  :)  I've never thought about the strips though.  I'm going to go out tonight and see what I can find at the store!  Fingers Crossed!
Karen
3.1 cm facial schwannoma removed 7/23/10 at Skull Base Institute - CA
No hearing left ear
Little balance
Left side of face paralyzed
Have nerve reconstruction surgery 8/30/10

suz

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2010, 04:35:36 pm »
I am laughing here because this was a problem that I hadn't really noticed until I read this post! Thanks for the new problem :D! I have noticed this left sided stuffiness for years but never really attributed it to my Left-sided AN. I do not have facial paralysis or numbness but some pain and I DO have this stuffiness. I learned a yoga technique as a teen called "sniffing water"( which I am guessing is similar to the neti pot technique) and that is very helpful when I am extra-stuffy. I too use the cheek-lift technique - and my favorite is simply pressing on the accupressure point that is on the cheekbone just below the eye. I am sorry that I am not able to give a more specific description - I will have to look this up because someone else showed me. When you find the right spot you will know it! I often fall asleep with one finger on this spot - very sexy!
I work with pregnant women who tend to have chronic nasal stuffiness and this works so well for them to give relief. Will do my homework and send another message.
Suz
Tumor 1.8cms x 1.5 cms x .5 cm;partially removed 7/14/10 by Drs. Friedman & Schwartz of House Ear Clinic in LA. Moderate SS hearing loss.
Re-growth approximate 3 mm per year; GK planned for 12/2017.
Philadelphia, PA area

turbomom

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2010, 09:27:18 pm »
Hi All,
I have had the same problem and it started about 4 weeks post surgery(I am 7 weeks post now). I ask my neurosurgeon about this last week and he said it would go away and that it was partly due to the fact that I had a large air mastoid which he had to fill with fluid at the time of surgery. It has actually cleared up about 90% in the last week. But I agree it is annoying because the only way I could clear mine out was also to pick "it" or as my kids call it "digging for gold" (probably too much info) ;D. Anyway give it some time and hopefully yours will get better soon. Oh yea, and if you can stand a real steamy shower, this helps loosen things up and then blow your nose as soon as you get out.
Lisa
tinnitus, mild hearing loss, occasional light-headiness, rare imbalance. Diagnosed on 07/09; 14x9x8mm intra and extra canalicular of left ear. Repeat MRI on 1/15/10...waiting for radiologist to read, but on quick review little growth shown.

OTO

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2010, 05:38:23 pm »
After surgery, the facial nerve is stressed or damaged, so your sinus on that side collapses.  Every since my surgery in 2007, I seem to get "sinus colds" more often.   I sleep with those Breathe Right strips helps to keep the sinus open, and then I use over the counter saline nasal spray, and also coat the inside of my nostril with Vicks or Mentholathum using a q-tip as far up as I can stand it....   As your facial nerve heals, it should get better....