Author Topic: Confused About Gamma Knife in 4 sessions  (Read 2882 times)

janetsue

Confused About Gamma Knife in 4 sessions
« on: March 12, 2014, 09:53:20 am »
Hi. I have another question please. Wake Forest University (in North Carolina) is promoting Gamma Knife in 4 treatment sessions where the chances of getting facial paralysis is extremely low to none at all. The doctor’s at Duke University think otherwise and said Gamma Knife has a greater chance of facial problems (similar to surgery), so I am confused. Info appreciated! :)

Echo

Re: Confused About Gamma Knife in 4 sessions
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 10:31:36 am »
I had single session Gamma Knife 6 months ago for a 2.4cm AN.  I was told I had a 25% risk of facial paralysis with surgery and that Gamma would avoid that problem.  With Gamma Knife I would have a 2% risk of facial weakness but no paralysis.  I was also told that I could expect some possible numbness issues which would be easier to live with than paralysis.  Prior to treatment I had numbness come and go in the corner of my mouth and on the tip of my tongue.  For the past 3 months I have had no numbness at all on the corner of my mouth, but I still have the mild numbness on the tip of my tongue that comes and goes.

Cathie.
Diagnosed: June 2012, right side AN 1.8cm
June 2013: AN has grown to 2.4 cm.
Gamma Knife: Sept. 11, 2013 Toronto Western Hospital

sandyinwisconsin

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 05:02:25 pm »
Janet,

I just read your post, and yes I do believe that the more radiation treatments you have, the better chance for saving your hearing.
As far as facial paralysis, radiation is a lot less riskier. 

Go on the ANA website and go under Patient Survey and open the 2012 survey or both of them.
I had 27 treatments of radiation which is called Fractionated Stereotactic Radiation.

My doctor insisted that I have nothing but 27 treatments to help spare my balance and hearing.
The radiation is given in small doses once a day so that your cochlea and semi circular (balance) nerve don't take such a hit all in one day.
The 27 days went very fast, and I even drove 2 1/2 hours one way on winter Wisconsin roads. 

So far, I have not lost any balance or hearing.  I had my 27 treatments done in December of 2013. 
If you can find a facility who will do 27 treatments, that may be better yet. 

Check out the survey.  Also if you joint the ANA, you have access to the speakers who spoke at the 2013 symposium.
That was a tremendous help for me.

Send me a message at sandyinwisconsin if you wish.

Sandy
1 cm AN deep in the boney canal.  Treated with 26 treatments of radiation in December, 2013.  Please pray with me that this worked.

Bonnie B.

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 05:57:23 pm »
I had GK two years ago for a 1.7 cm AN in one session.  I have no facial paralysis. I go next week for my two year post GK MRI.  Hopefully all will be good.
Good luck to you.
1.7 cm AN
diagnosed January, 2012 - no hearing L ear
GK surgery done March 15, 2012 at Yale New Haven Hospital, New Haven, Ct.
Dr. Chiang and Dr. Yu

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 02:04:29 pm »
Typically GK is done in only 1 session.

Are you sure they aren't talking about FSR (Fractionated Sterotatic Radiation)?  It's generally multiple sessions.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sandyinwisconsin

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 03:40:55 pm »
I know a person who had 3 sessions of gamma knife one year ago at Mayo for a AN on his cochlea.

I just emailed him the other day, and he hasn't lost any hearing yet.

Sandy
1 cm AN deep in the boney canal.  Treated with 26 treatments of radiation in December, 2013.  Please pray with me that this worked.